Huffy Key West

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is sort of the direction I'm leaning towards. It's a 24 by 20 with a 26 inch fork. I'd like to make it a 10 speed, but I have no experience doing that, so it should be interesting. I think instead of chopping the fork I'm going to use a spacer that doubles as a headlight or bag mount. I also have a 24in flat fork I might try also. I'm going to need some drop out extensions but I don't think that will be hard. Let me know what you guys think. How are the dimensions looking?
20191015_114421.jpg
20191016_101217.jpg

You'll have to slide that fork all the way in, and let the fork crown race sit in the bottom of the head tube bearing.

Then you are going to have to be creative with your spacers on the top. You will run out of thread as the fork steer tube is way long for the head tube on the fork.

I've used nylon and steel bushings as spacers. First, slide your threaded bearing race down on top of the upper head set bearing and cup. Find something that is 1" inside diameter, and start stacking until you have enough thread to screw on the top nut all the way flush on top of your spacer stack.

Then you can cut off the remaining threaded steer tube that is sticking out, and stick your quill stem inside.

I'm going to play around with spacers on top and bottom and see where I like the feel of the steering and the rake of the fork. That bottom bearing seat is movable so I could put the spacer underneath it if I need to. I've done it before and it worked fine.

Latest posts

Back