Huffy seat post diameter? (late 60's, early 70's)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I need a longer seat post on my Huffy cruiser. I believe it is around 7/8" in diameter. Can anyone confirm the size?

What tubing/pipe can safely be used for a longer seat post?

Thanks!

Cherry.jpg

The seat post that slides into the frame is 13/16" and the part the slides into the seat mount is 7/8".

Thanks!

I did that and I bent the 13/16" post. I went and bought a 18" piece of 7/8" solid 6061 aluminum rod. Then I used a sharp file to reduce the O.D. of the 7/8 6061. I checked for fit as I filed.
7/8" is just a tiny bit to big, and the file worked in about 20 min. I am 200lbs. and been riding for over a year and no bent post.
18" of 7/8 6061 cost about $13...a year ago. Could be over $100 by now.

I did that and I bent the 13/16" post. I went and bought a 18" piece of 7/8" solid 6061 aluminum rod. Then I used a sharp file to reduce the O.D. of the 7/8 6061. I checked for fit as I filed.
7/8" is just a tiny bit to big, and the file worked in about 20 min. I am 200lbs. and been riding for over a year and no bent post.
18" of 7/8 6061 cost about $13...a year ago. Could be over $100 by now.
I use the Sunlight long 7/8 replacement post, the kind with the end blown out to accept a modern guts clamp. These posts bends easily so I grind down a piece of black pipe to tightly fit inside. I slather the black pipe with JB Weld and pound it inside the weld post. Won’t bend and you can use a newer seat.

I found that a 21.1mm gooseneck fits in the seat tube and clamps down nicely. it sticks down in the tube deeper than the max extension line on the original seat post.
IMG_20200404_190832.jpg

Brother B-rad:
Gotta like that red Huffy. For future projects, buy yourself an inexpensive ($10-$20) Vernier caliper. Then you'll always know what size seat post (or stem or whatever) you're dealing with. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back