Huffy Thunder road, Silver King?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, great site you have here? My name is Mike, long time bike admirer and small collector of bikes I had when a kid. I did want to find a Thunder Road like the one my dad and I restored (incorrectly, but to our taste) as a kid. I did find this bike with the correct fenders and chain guard like the one I did have back in the day (just need to remove the plastic tank). Before I do anything though I did want to find out what this bike is, year and etc., but cannot find anything on it? Does anyone have any literature, news paper / catalog ads for this bike?

What I do know:

• Called the Silver King 90
  • Monark sticker on head tube (a Huffman MFG CO.)
  • Head tube serial number HC 5861173 (from 1975?)

Thanks for your help!

Mike

Attachments

• HC 5861173.JPG
    HC 5861173.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 73
  • silver king 90.JPG
    silver king 90.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 79
  • junk.JPG
    junk.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 61
Welcome aboard!

That's right, 1975, first number is the last digit of the year on a Huffy. On the BMX museum page, they have some Monark bikes like that, but not the 75 model, 78 and newer.
Here's a 75 Huffy Thunder Road they do show:

1633999799144.png

Know what these numbers mean on the rear, near tire axle?

Attachments

• 426DD022-F737-4109-8E05-EF41E31A3EBD.jpeg
    426DD022-F737-4109-8E05-EF41E31A3EBD.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 62
Well I finally completed my Huffy build. Totally stripped it down, sandblasted it, powder coated the frame, handlebars and sissy bar. I know some won’t be happy with what I did to the original “ Silver King “ however going down memory lane was much more important to me. Happy new year.

I know some won’t be happy with what I did to the original “ Silver King “ however going down memory lane was much more important to me. Happy new year.
Around here, it's what makes you happy that is most important. The coolest bikes are the ones that get ridden because they make the owner happy to be rolling out on them. Enjoy your new bike often in the New Year!

Know what these numbers mean on the rear, near tire axle?
The 71406 "date-code" might indicate the date of manufacture, May 19, 1976; (i.e., the 140th day of leap-year '76).

The Huffy Corp. (HC) number might be a serial sequence number 5,861,172 plus + 1.

Other stampings -Q060-T may have to do with the model, (or size, finish, accessories, etc.)?

Some say a "C" stamp indicates Celina Ohio factory, (versus "A" for Azusa CA?).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back