Humpster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cardio.gif

How are the ball ends, comfy? I hope so. Really dig this bike. You nailed it.

How are the ball ends, comfy? I hope so. Really dig this bike. You nailed it.
They are fairly comfortable for casual ‘cruising’ they will eventually find a final install on a future vintage ‘restoration’ project I’m sure.
But, I have made a couple of tweaks to the Humpster now that I’m riding it more regularly.
I riding position was literally a ‘pain in the neck’. Every time I would ride it, I would get the worst stiff neck during and after. So, I tried curing it by finding higher and higher handlebars. To no avail ☹️.
So I had a chat with @OddJob and @kingfish254 about sitting position. They suggested a few measurements for me to take and turns out, even with the frame being a ‘smaller’ one, the distance from the center of the saddle to the center of the grips was over 4” longer than my strandie, which I can literally ride for hours without any issues. No wonder my neck hurt, I was reaching too far with my shoulders, which are connected to….yep.
I went to my stash and found a decent looking 13/16” straight seatpost and BOOM! The measurement went right in line, I just had to raise the seat to get the same leg extension.
It’s like riding a new bike!
So, Ian, while the ball ends are gone, they were replaced by my favorite (non-leather) grips, a set of coke bottles.
As a bonus, I now have a laidback post for my new Build Off bike!
Here’s how the Humpster sits now, still has a ‘sporty’ look to it, with a ‘sporty’ feel now. And I can ride hands free, which is how I determine if the bike is ‘balanced’ while in motion.
626D2827-95B7-4BBD-8E72-69BD7D136E78.jpeg

It’s serving the purpose I built it for, a lighter bike with gears to use for my ‘workout’ rides. For the same loop, while being a LOT lighter than my strandie, my average BPM goes from ~140 on the strandie to -153. So definitely more cardio.

Can't wait to see it on one of our rides.

Humpster Dumpster was made too tall
It hurt Tankenstein, but he didn't fall
He changed out some pieces and got a win
Now Tankenstein can ride Humpster again

Latest posts

Back