Hurricane Ian

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I am going to need to have our home roofed, just the shingles. Other than that we seem ok. Never even lost power. 80% of our county is out of power. The area of SW Florida is devastated. I wouldn't know where to start. Getting ready to call and check on friends who are in the storm surge area. Thanks you all for your prayers. This whole area is dependent on tourism and that is going to be a long time returning.

Looks like I am going to need to have our home roofed, just the shingles. Other than that we seem ok. Never even lost power. 80% of our county is out of power. The area of SW Florida is devastated. I wouldn't know where to start. Getting ready to call and check on friends who are in the storm surge area. Thanks you all for your prayers. This whole area is dependent on tourism and that is going to be a long time returning.
Glad you made it out safely

Looks like I am going to need to have our home roofed . . . . This whole area is dependent on tourism and that is going to be a long time returning.
It sounds like there’s gonna be a lot of construction work going on down there in the near future. There will be new beach houses and cabanas and bungalows going up before you know it.

The weather in Florida has not changed in my lifetime. I’ve never lived there but the weather reports have always been the same.

Best of luck on the re-roofing.

Glad to hear you are safe. Not sure what it takes, but go ahead and find out what it takes to get the blue tarps for you roof while you wait in line for the roof work. Our friends in Naples are fine, but we are still waiting to hear details since they are still without power. As you said, it will probably take years to completely recover. This wasn't a small hurricane.

It's looking like Ian will reform as a Cat 1 hurricane before making landfall again in South Carolina. So far the projected paths keep moving farther East of @Dr. Tankenstein , @Captain Awesome and I. My guess is that it will hit between Charleston and Myrtle Beach around lunchtime tomorrow. The damage shouldn't be anything like what your area has experienced.

Best wishes for you and your community on your recovery.

Glad to hear you are safe. Not sure what it takes, but go ahead and find out what it takes to get the blue tarps for you roof while you wait in line for the roof work. Our friends in Naples are fine, but we are still waiting to hear details since they are still without power. As you said, it will probably take years to completely recover. This wasn't a small hurricane.

It's looking like Ian will reform as a Cat 1 hurricane before making landfall again in South Carolina. So far the projected paths keep moving farther East of @Dr. Tankenstein , @Captain Awesome and I. My guess is that it will hit between Charleston and Myrtle Beach around lunchtime tomorrow. The damage shouldn't be anything like what your area has experienced.

Best wishes for you and your community on your recovery.
Agreed. I think Charleston is looking like a tasty snack for this storm that won't quit. still closer than I would like

Was touring the Disney facilities via video call with my daughter just a bit ago. Lots of localized flooding but nothing like that Sanibel and Ft Myers area

Absolutely. But now it's more stronger
2016SST_Count_editorial.jpg

04-06-MBflooding.jpg

This is true in Florida, and it’s true all over the world as far as I can see.

For some reason this news hasn’t stopped people from buying land and building in Florida. Yet. Maybe they don’t believe it down there, or maybe they just don’t wanna believe it, but as the ocean rises Florida will disappear.

It doesn’t matter if human beings caused it or it’s just a natural phenomenon. Nobody thinks we can reverse it by any human means.

The only thing they can do is what Holland did. Build dikes and pump off the water.

No real effects were felt in Savannah as Ian passed offshore today. Some high surf out on Tybee Island, but no flooding.

It has now made landfall near Georgetown SC (between Charleston and Myrtle Beach). Much lower population than if it would have been closer to Charleston. Chucktown will still get some flooding because it is so low, but danger and damages should be greatly decreased.

@Kevin B , hope that your friends and neighbors had a chance to get out and assess damages more today. Good luck with the reconstruction.

Last edited:
Months after hurricane Ian, some bicycle related news. A local tourism bike renter is selling salvaged bikes. One news report had a rental dealer losing 300 bikes. On the news they showed a mountain of bikes. Sad for these businesses. Once the full extent of the damage was found it was worst than thought. They just found the body of the last unaccounted for person in a submerged boat last week. https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/bop/d/fort-myers-bikes-for-parts/7579539777.html

Latest posts

Back