Hybrid theory

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 11 year old wanted to go mountain biking with me, but all the 24" mtbs we looked at were absolute junk...so we made one.

logburn010.jpg

I took a late 90's MCS Hurricane mini bmx cruiser and fitted a set of mtb forks to it. Since the MCS has a 1" head tube I had to swap out the 1-1/8" steerer tube on the forks to a 1". I used a 1" Cane Creek Aheadset, and a 1" to 1-1/8" stem shim to run a Trek mtb stem and alloy bars. The frame was designed for 24 x 1-1/8" mini cruiser rims, but I was able to use a set of 24 x 1.50" cruiser rims and tires to get a fatter tire on there. It's close, but it clears. I had to run a set of Tektro mini V-brakes to center the pads on the rims.

logburn011.jpg

It's simple and light, and it cost almost nothing to build. Now he can go mountain biking with his big brother and I and he's stoked.

Very nicely done. I have one question however. Where are the mountains in Palm Beach? :)

Thanks Matt!

Bigj...we have drawbridges...do they count? :mrgreen:

Steve, my original plan was to run the Primo V-track that's up front in the rear, but the frame tapers in so quick that the outer row of knobbies rubbed. The Intense Microknobby that I have on the rear has made it through everything we've ridden so far with no problem. Real deep mud might be an issue...we'll find out come rainy season!

Latest posts

Back