BO15 I Can't Afford the Gas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you on the fork. BUT, I’m waiting for some dart stencils to arrive in the mail that [mention]Dr. Tankenstein [/mention] turned me on to. I was going to do the darts and then attack it to rough it up a bit. AND, I did see that you were talking about the amber varnish in another thread, so I was already looking at that stuff and thinking it might be worth a try. Do you brush that on? Or use a rag? I’ve never used varnish on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The darts will be cool, and tie in with the frame too. I know I said varnish in the previous post and on the other thread, I meant to say shellac. It dries really fast, and you can sand on it as it is very hard once dry. I use a cotton rag to apply the schellac. Layer it on in thin coats, that way you can control how much color you want. I use Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, in the Amber color for my violin repairs. It has a great blending quality with the stain on the instruments, and shellac, as opposed to other clears and polys, has a vintage look to it.

zinnssershellac.jpg

The darts will be cool, and tie in with the frame too. I know I said varnish in the previous post and on the other thread, I meant to say shellac. It dries really fast, and you can sand on it as it is very hard once dry. I use a cotton rag to apply the schellac. Layer it on in thin coats, that way you can control how much color you want. I use Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac, in the Amber color for my violin repairs. It has a great blending quality with the stain on the instruments, and shellac, as opposed to other clears and polys, has a vintage look to it.

View attachment 126891

I love love LOVE that stuff right there! :inlove: It highlights and antiques my handmade guitars, it pulls into and blends with cracked old varnish like it was a glue (for restorations), and because it thins with alcohol I can do touch-ups on nitrocellulose and other finishes with Magic Marker blends(also alcohol soluble) and cover with the shellac...also, you can use the super-fast dry time and a small brush and end up with a decent French Polish when you're done.

I have also used it in several outdoor projects-while shellac isn't quite up there with Spar varnish it can take quite a beating in its own right-so as long as some idiot doesn't pour an entire bottle of Everclear over the bike it should be fine for years...

There is also a Clear version that you can brush or even spray over the spots when you've got that antiquing done.

I love love LOVE that stuff right there! :inlove: It highlights and antiques my handmade guitars, it pulls into and blends with cracked old varnish like it was a glue (for restorations), and because it thins with alcohol I can do touch-ups on nitrocellulose and other finishes with Magic Marker blends(also alcohol soluble) and cover with the shellac...also, you can use the super-fast dry time and a small brush and end up with a decent French Polish when you're done.

I have also used it in several outdoor projects-while shellac isn't quite up there with Spar varnish it can take quite a beating in its own right-so as long as some idiot doesn't pour an entire bottle of Everclear over the bike it should be fine for years...

There is also a Clear version that you can brush or even spray over the spots when you've got that antiquing done.

Without taking away from brother SoulGarage's thread too much, I completely concur with everything you mentioned ^ @order99 ! I would be interested in seeing some of your handmade guitars too. Maybe send in a Conversation? Good stuff!

Thanks guys. I’ll definitely give this a whirl if the fork still doesn’t match when I’m done. Btw, I also would like to see the handmade guitars.

Thanks Scribble and Kingfish.
I actually would have rather had slightly thinner stripes, but because of the stock pinstripes, I had to extend the stripes out to cover them.

Glad it worked out that way. I like the fatter stripes MUCH better.

I’ve been off the grid for about a week and a half. No work was done on the project. Too much fun in the sun. I started back at it this morning with a vinegar bath for some parts. I’ll post some pics later.

Really diggin' this build! You tied in your patina work on the fenders so well, love the ape hangers on this, and the tire selection is spot on. The black spokes on the original rims takes it up a notch too.

Well done Soul-G!

Really diggin' this build! You tied in your patina work on the fenders so well, love the ape hangers on this, and the tire selection is spot on. The black spokes on the original rims takes it up a notch too.

Well done Soul-G!

Thanks OJ. I took it out for a jog yesterday and didn’t get very far before the nut on the bottom bracket came off. The old crank I have on there doesn’t have enough threads for a modern bottom bracket I guess. So I might have to put a new crank on it. I’m also going to try different seat / seat post options, a different sprocket ( I didn’t like the gearing ), and then it’s on to accessories! I also like these tires, but I’m wondering what skin walls would look like on it.

That chain ring does have a lot of 'teeth' to it. :grin: Anything but dead level or down hill would put a strain on the old quads.
I like the black tires on your original rims with black spokes. A little flavor of a more modern twist on a classic cruiser. The vintage look of gum walls would work too. I actually like the seat post seat combo, but you've got time to try options. I always say the frame of the bike is the heart of the build; what you add to it is the soul. RaT oN~!

I went messin’ around in the barn tonight to try some different looks. I threw some black cranks that match the spokes, and swapped out the tan seat for two different black ones, plus I took off the “layback” post. I had to pause in the middle of my work to admire a very regal sunset. Oh! And I changed sprockets to the original Schwinn with the chrome removed to give it a more galvanized look to match the rear hub. Also, I used some of the Bullseye shellac that [mention]OddJob [/mention] recommended to blend my white forks and racing stripes to the legit yellowing of the white on the frame.
01f53fc2c7852fbb430cb85df779e3ca.jpg

e865695a1fc44d517e34a64fa7091514.jpg

c90242472083c1de1c83bfc831743e03.jpg

f0745ccac426c473134613b626ec9454.jpg

30e07b1e8db33ec9ec07518e18fe49ae.jpg

1f1bef73be9d0fefff55a3dfa38eace3.jpg

de2932115685cfc4d369348cff99ae8d.jpg

1ff188bee3dacb3f14d48119ce37d931.jpg

075a6583ee8c8846aeb5cfcd2f4f74af.jpg

Your 'yellowing age technique' looks great! The fork leg and fender on this photo match the head tube naturally aged white perfectly! I also like the black crank arm and Schwinn ring, and the saddle in that last photo of the bike.
Black grips and you're done?
20200720_075428.jpg

Your barn photos and country sunset make me yearn for the farm days of my youth....

Your 'yellowing age technique' looks great! The fork leg and fender on this photo match the head tube naturally aged white perfectly! I also like the black crank arm and Schwinn ring, and the saddle in that last photo of the bike.
Black grips and you're done?
View attachment 129728

Your barn photos and country sunset make me yearn for the farm days of my youth....

Thanks OJ. I do enjoy the sunsets and most of the time the country life, but I grew up in the suburbs and sometimes I yearn for “neighborhood kids” to play with. I’m sure my wife thinks I talk too much, and I know my kids think that too. If you look close in one of the photos, you can see my son swinging a bat. Surprisingly, no one has asked why I have a giant net in my barn.
As far as more plans for the bike, I do think that black seat and black crank will stay, but I’m not sure I like those pedals. I also have some ideas for doo dads.

Saw the bat and bucket laying around, figured the net was for batting.
"Put me in, Coach. I'm ready to play"
Except that I ain't, always sucked at baseball, enjoyed the ride to and from the diamond more, hence the Camelback comment as opposed a baseball one

Latest posts

Back