I Feel Like I'm Home.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Chris. I rode bikes when I was a kid. I fixed them when they needed it but I wouldn't say I loved doing it. Once I got my license and figured out chicks like cars more than bikes I stopped ridding altogether. Then one day 2 years ago while at a flea market I saw this beat up old cruiser bike. In strange way it reminded of a Schwinn my dad had when I was a kid. It was black had white walls and looked awesome. I just recently found out, to my dismay that his Schwinn wasn't a 50's Schwinn as I'd always assumed rather it was a 80's Schwinn copy/remake/reboot/knock-off, whatever, of a 50's Schwinn. But anyways I couldn't leave their without buying it. So that's where it all started for me.
I just about have my bike the way I and my wallet like.
I like the handle bars so I kept them, but I had to paint them as the chrome was done for, and I like the chain guard, I bought a chrome one but didn't like it. The chain was fine so I kept that. Everything else is new. I didn't take before pics 'cos it never occurred to me to do so.

This is how it looked the last time I took pics of it last year about 20 minutes before I removed the rear basket -- lets just say OUCH!
This year I've changes the seat to a darker brown added ergo grips. I'm also in the process of painting an old rack with baskets to put on it. As soon ... it's done I'll take pics.
IMG_0052 (2).JPG

I loved the experience so much I convinced my 65-year-old mother to get back on a bike for the first time since before I was born.
She has dizzy spells so I figured a trike would be best. I bought her one of those new Schwinn Meridians but the axle came bent. So I had to send it back. Boy am I glad it did because my sister found a Sears Free Spirit 5-speed tricycle at her boyfriends parents house. They didn't want it so they gave it to my mom. I know it's not a particularly sought after brand but I can attest that this thing is built about 10,000 times better than that Meridian was and it has 5-speeds.

This time it occurred to me to take before pics
IMG_0056 (2).JPG

After. Mom Wanted a red bike. I wanted to paint a 50's surf green or lite blue but it's her bike
DSCF1189.JPG
DSCF1190.JPG

I regret painting the chain guard. I wish I could have that one back. I think I might paint it to match the rest of the bike.

I changed the tires, seat, grips, shifter, brake caliper, Lever and cables. The ones that were on it were fine but it's my mother so I wanted it to stop as well as it can. It was a pain to find calipers to fit this trike. I finally had to settle on BMX style brakes.
This year I'm putting a new derailleur and twist shifter,she has RA so I think it will be easier for her to shift. Right now she never takes it out of 1st. I also bought her a cloud 9 seat so back to Ebay for the Cadillac seat goes.
She loves this thing. And it's so fun seeing her ride it. There is something about ridding a bike that brings out the kid in you. And being able to see that in my mom is truly a gift.

These are my next projects., I think.

This is a 24" Hawthorne.
DSCF1195.JPG

DSCF1191.JPG

The chain guard is the one I bought for my bike that I didn't like. I don't really like it on this either but it needed one. I going to restore this for my sister. The bike is pretty clean but the rear hub won't engage the chain or the break so I fear I'll have to get a new one or it may be more economical to get a new wheel set entirely, sigh. The hub that is on it is a "New Departure model D" I've searched the Internet for someone with the same problem as mine and I can't find anything.

I don't know the make of this bike as it's been painted many, many times. The handle grips say Schwinn but I have no idea if the bike is a Schwinn. I bought it for the baskets and the seat. But I may do something with it for my other sister. It looks bad but the rims are straight ant she goes and stops just fine. And I do love those handle bars.

DSCF1199.JPG

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF1197.JPG

Well, that's it. I hope I did this first post thing right.
I'd like to add my appreciation for this site. It's a great resource for folks who are to a hobby that not many folks are into anymore. So finding this place was "the find" of the year for me.

Thank You

All The Best

Alas the problems with parts bike. The monark I gifted to my fiance was a bike my mother bought originally for the baskets and asked me to remove them for her new huffy. I lied and told her I could not physically remove them because of the way they were attached or something. She ended up riding it for few months before putting a tarp over it. My fiance however rides it daily.

I own a car but I do prefer the freedom of a bike. I look forward to seeing what you do here. You seem knowledgeable.

Those handle bars do look to be the same that are on my 1962 tiger schwinn bike. I'm curious to see if the pedals are similar to my tiger schwinn since my tiger schwinn is all original minus the seat (I stuck on a leather coloured schwinn seat to replace the duck taped black one that was worn down.) I am sure if you posted it up in the identification section of this place somebody would instantly recognize it.

I'd like to add my appreciation for this site. It's a great resource for folks who are to a hobby that not many folks are into anymore. So finding this place was "the find" of the year for me.
It's the gift that keeps on giving. Welcome home.

Wow, ok I'll be the first to say it.
The trike you got for your mom is cool, total props to you for that. I gave one to my step-father because his R.A. makes it impossible to ride a two wheeler, unfortunately he no longer rides it so he gave it back to me.

That being said, as a trike fan. I'd choose that old Sears trike over the meridian any day.

The new departure hub should be an easy fix, its obvious you know how to work on bikes. So the links posted should help you out with that.

Keep us updated with some of your work in the builds thread. And welcome to the site, I think you've found the right place.

Hello, everyone. Sorry it's taken so long but I've been really busy with work + taking my mom back and fourth to rehab. She had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago and getting her through this has become like a second job.
Wow, ok I'll be the first to say it.
The trike you got for your mom is cool, total props to you for that. I gave one to my step-father because his R.A. makes it impossible to ride a two wheeler, unfortunately he no longer rides it so he gave it back to me.

That being said, as a trike fan. I'd choose that old Sears trike over the meridian any day.

The new departure hub should be an easy fix, its obvious you know how to work on bikes. So the links posted should help you out with that.

Keep us updated with some of your work in the builds thread. And welcome to the site, I think you've found the right place.
Thank You, thats very kind.

Re: your 24" Hawthorne - I have a 26" model with New Departure hub. When I got it it took several pedal revolutions backwards to engage the brakes.
Turned out there was a broken spring inside. I was able to buy a new old stock one on ebay.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-new-departure-hub-no-brakes.88759/
Thank you. Hopefully it's just locked up and a good cleaning will bring it back to life. But it's always good to now where I can get the parts if I need them.

Welcome! You may find your malfunctioning hu is just jammed up with old lube, have a look here> http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-departure-model-d-rebuild.30484/
I really hope ur right. I acutally saw that thread a couple of weeks ago but for some reason I just skimmed over the post by charliechaindrive. His problem seems to be my problem as well. Hopefully a good cleaning will bring it back to life.

Pretty sure your last bike is a late 1930's Huffman frame that could have been badged many ways. Here's one that carries the Western Flyer badge.

ChristmasBike010-1.jpg
Man, that sure does look like the frame. I'm happy and sad at the same time. It's gonna be a chore to find a tank for that bike. It may have to go tankless.

Alas the problems with parts bike. The monark I gifted to my fiance was a bike my mother bought originally for the baskets and asked me to remove them for her new huffy. I lied and told her I could not physically remove them because of the way they were attached or something. She ended up riding it for few months before putting a tarp over it. My fiance however rides it daily.

I own a car but I do prefer the freedom of a bike. I look forward to seeing what you do here. You seem knowledgeable.

Those handle bars do look to be the same that are on my 1962 tiger schwinn bike. I'm curious to see if the pedals are similar to my tiger schwinn since my tiger schwinn is all original minus the seat (I stuck on a leather coloured schwinn seat to replace the duck taped black one that was worn down.) I am sure if you posted it up in the identification section of this place somebody would instantly recognize it.
I get your point about the basket. I already took it off but the more and more I think about the more I think I might put it back on. But I'm 99% certain they aren't original and I'm kinda partial to the steal rack from the bike Rusty posted. Who's knows what I'll end up doing but I'm sure I'll change my mind when it's done.

Since I got my bike done I've come to the realization that I'd much rather ride than drive. I even bought 29er mountain bike to try my hand at winter ridding this past winter. That wasn't really my thing. It was too cold on my face and when I wore a face mask I felt like I was running a marathon while breathing through a straw. I'm going to have to approach it differently this winter.

I took the bike over to my sisters house so I don't have it at mine. But when I get over there I'll take pics of the pedals for you. I do know they were shot. I'd be curious to know if they are rebuild-able?

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words.
I'll be sure to take pics, maybe even some video, during the restore process. But seeing as though I just picked up a Trailmate Desoto with mags, one of which is bent,oh joy. A 60s Era Schwinn Collegiate(yep, it's green:) and a Takara GT road bike(for an indoor trainer) I'm really not sure where to start. I think I'm officially in over my head now. Let the fun begin.

If you're here I think you're over your head by fundamental default. Some for reasons greater then others! hard to find restoration parts? Bizarre old bikes you've never heard the name of? You have an old bike you love and want to give it new life? Or maybe you're like me. You're making a motorcycle from a 1950's firestone using a 1930's washing machine motor!:crazy:

Yes, I think if you're here you're over your head, But sometimes when you're over head you get to see what's below the water, and sometimes there's a massive pirate chest filled with treasures you never would have noticed if you didn't dive in head first!:113:

This place is a wealth of information. The fact that people can identify a bike from one or two pictures from the internet is impressive. You've already seen that happen here.

This place is fun!:forum:

Latest posts

Back