I guess its about time...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've been a member here for a few months, and now that I've mastered the skill of the free pic upload, I figure its time to stop lurking around and say "hi".

I come from Maine, the Evergreen State. No its not a part of Canada. I live in a major city called Bangor, populated buy a whopping 33,000 cold miserable snowed in souls.

My love afair with bikes started when my wife's Terry Symmetry (personal #1 grail bike) got lifted by some scumbag. I started looking for a replacement, one thing lead to another, three years later Im the proud owner of honestly, like, 100 sub-par to mediocre LBS bikes. I love each and every one. Big. Trouble.

I started buying from yard sales and goodwill. Then i started searching out the scrapyards. Then I started meeting the scrappers and pickers..

I really, really, really like getting bikes that have been deemed trash, garbage, broken, worthless.. bring it on. So in doing this, most of my bikes require work by a bike mechanic (guess I'll do in a pinch), so thats fun, and Im not buying and parting or cutting up useable bikes that some other schmoe will go and buy @ goodwill and ride happily.

I also really like parts, and guard my stash like a dragon, so finding a mangled up Cyclepro mtb with a set of early, early beartraps and a slingshot headset and first gen suntour bar shifters...etc... at the metal yard for $10 is the kinda thing i really get into.

Speaking of ten dollars, thats been my per-bike limit for all of last season, and I only broke the rule once for a $40 trek road bike for myself, ready to roll with extra tires and a set of NIB Sora brifters.

I sell very, very few. Maybe 10 in three years. I like to trade bikes, and give them away, I'm in a wicked pay it foward kinda mood this spring, so Ive got a dozen nice kids bikes I'm offering up free or by donation made out to my kid's school's PTO. Ive got a PBR bike im putting together 100% out of free parts . This one im giving to a poor hipster, just because ive never heard him say anything that wasnt kind in 2 years of knowing him. He'll pay it foward as well im sure.

A Chimera is an animal from Greek mythology with the body of a lion, head of a goat, and the tail is a snake. In general terms, it means something which is made of parts from a bunch of different somethings.

I like to make theme, and purpose built bikes. I have a stash of frames in all shapes and sizes, i love to offer my BYOB (build your own bike) services to anyone who will listen. So far, one taker. Lucky kid.
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

I like this site a lot, I can't wait to share my projects with you guys and get your feedback. I can't weld, so ratty and cobby is my style!

Lucas

Diggin the story, and the Raleigh....
So that was a nice looking early Record. Very cool original yellow paint, I agreed to colaborate on this build with my neighbor, the starving art student. Hes a big rider and wanted a ss with brakes. I went over the project, how to touch up the cool yellow paint, I do the mechanics, and provide the parts. Hes the shot caller. yup yup he says. 2 days later I see this frame hanging off his porch! Not yellow! I was supprised, but not at all upset, he came up with a cool scheme, he rides it all the time.

Yay collaboration!

Latest posts

Back