I made a ROOKIE MISTAKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was looking for a wheelset for an upcoming build and found a perfect set at the Boise Bike Project. They had a matching set of Schwinn rims with tandem Bendix hub and heavy duty spokes. I looked at the stamping and I read "S2". So I bought them and took them home. The rust was mild on them and I knew they would clean up well. After taking a little steel wool, that 2 became a 7. Now I have a wheelset that I can't use unless I buy some new tires.

That's very unfortunate. I've made the same mistake. The differnce is being able to use any tires or buying cheap ones, or hoping to find s-7's in decent shape used or paying too much for tires. I opted to sell the wheels. I couldn't see paying more to have middleweight tires. That's a lose in every direction.

clancy, your not alone! :lol: i picked up a set of painted/pinstriped s-7`s, off of ebay about 4 yrs ago. only later did i discover that they took the "special size" tires. :shock: that was the start of my love/hate affair with schwinns.

Ozzmonut...are S7s really that much more to own and operate? I splurged with my Jaguar resto and got a pair of Westwind repros for $100. THAT was expensive, but all the other tires I priced for S7s weren't too bad.

I'd just clean them up and sell the wheels. Seeing as how you got them from BBP you can probably double your money on them and buy another set of rims AND tires with the money. :mrgreen:

MIGZ said:
this is going to be a dumb question but what is the difference are they a special size outside of 26 or 24 or 20 or 700C

Yep...S7's are slightly larger. Read more here http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.htm
571 mm 26 x 1 3/4 S7
559 mm 26 x 1.00- x 2.125

l
outskirtscustoms said:
I'd just clean them up and sell the wheels. Seeing as how you got them from BBP you can probably double your money on them and buy another set of rims AND tires with the money. :mrgreen:
Yeh, I will probably try to sell them, unless I find some cheap tires. I just hate having no choice on size or looks.

outskirtscustoms said:
Yeh, I will probably try to sell them, unless I find some cheap tires. I just hate having no choice on size or looks.[/quote]

Yeah my '58 Schwinn has JC Higgins rims. :mrgreen:

SSG said:
I'm pretty sure you can get kenda button tread black wall s7 tires for around $14 a pop. I think CS has them in white wall for a similar price.

Yeh....but I was planning on Klunker/bomber build. Maybe it will be an urban street stomper now.

I think I have one S7 tire that came off a Schwinn breeze. It is pretty slick but in good condition and narrow.

Let me know if you're interested, sadly I only have one.

-Moto

Motopecane said:
I think I have one S7 tire that came off a Schwinn breeze. It is pretty slick but in good condition and narrow.

Let me know if you're interested, sadly I only have one.

Thanks but I may try the thicker tires suggested above

haha! I'm not the only one!

After I made the thread about finding out the year on some S2's, I go to pick up the bike. The rims look great but the tires look small. I didn't look close enough before I bought the bike. painted s7's and 1 3/4 tire. Ger. But they are near perfect s-7's and at least I have the tubes and tires...

badmuller said:
I wonder how easy it would be to get a set of tires in these sizes 26 X 1 3/8 or 26 X 1 5/8, Any where in the U.S.?

Not too bad. There are lots of the British 26 x 1 3/8 available. And the 650B (26x1 5/8) is becoming more poplular.

This is a 26 x 2 x 1 3/4 on my 2 speed s7 wheel. I can't find anything wider, although I continue to look. I'm almost to the point of having that hub relaced into a standard rim.

jqrl35.jpg

Wildcat, thanks for that picture. That definitely help make my decision. Going to finish cleaning the hub and wheels then get them sold.

Latest posts

Back