I Mead Some Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We don't see many of these around my neighbourhood that's for sure and I've made contact to see if I can swing a deal. The saddle speaks to me and I'm thinking it Westfield built?
I'd like to know age, value and a bit of history please.
$_27.JPG
$_27.JPG
$_27.JPG

The picture of the bike is kinda blurry ( I'm viewing on my phone). The bike was made by Manton & Smith for Mead in the late forties. Can't quite make out the rear drop outs, they appear to be forward facing. M & S also had a pre war frame just like this that had rear facing fork ends ( drop outs). But it wasn't til late forties that M & S supplied bikes to Mead. The seat is from the late thirties. If you see again I'd be curious to know if you can tell what the original color was. Is all the green a repaint?

The picture of the bike is kinda blurry ( I'm viewing on my phone). The bike was made by Manton & Smith for Mead in the late forties. Can't quite make out the rear drop outs, they appear to be forward facing. M & S also had a pre war frame just like this that had rear facing fork ends ( drop outs). But it wasn't til late forties that M & S supplied bikes to Mead. The seat is from the late thirties. If you see again I'd be curious to know if you can tell what the original color was. Is all the green a repaint?

Thanks for the info.
I've only viewed the same blurry pics myself and couldn't make out the rear drop outs either.
The ad said 1950's, but I suspected it was the same period that you stated as it has 1/2" drive.
I thought the long spring saddle was older than the bike as well.
The asking price is $200CDN (@$160US) and I offered a choice of trades as my bike bucks are low.

I have a prewar version of this frame, it is also 1/2" pitch. To me this frame is M & S 's version of the Schwinn DX ( coincidence that when Schwinn supplied the DX to Mead they also came with the Crusader badge?). The unique feature of M&S bikes are the unfinished welds at the joints. Instead of being ground smooth they were left rough to show the quality of weld without anything being covered up. Their frames are well built and ride well.

Id snag it fast., Id be on it over that seat. I love it.

I hear ya Zombie (Jordan? right?)
I've offered him a period correct replacement seat that I already recovered if he doesn't take me up on an offer for the whole shebang.
That saddle would be an ideal option on my fresh find and possible Build Off bike 4 sure.
(Rambler)
EDIT: WHOOPS! I COULDN"T WAIT FOR BUILD OFF OR EVEN MEAD DEAL:blush::happy:

Last edited:
I agree. Very very cool saddle. And yes! Jordan ;) I have a lesser memory myself.

Alrighty! I finally picked up the bike this morning!
I sold my Wasp and Camaro recently, so made a cash offer on the Mead.
It was within walking distance of home, so I took an old tire and tube, a few tools, a pump, and a can of oil along.
I road it home as you see it... smooth and rattle free.
It has forward facing drop outs, ND front and CCM rear hub, nice solid rough welds as described and serial# 26370. Date?
Now...what to do with this beast? :39:

Last edited:
I agree it's m&s. I have an original paint 1928 mead built by schwinn. Mine is also badged as a crusader but is a 28inch motobike like the schwinn b10. I love meads enjoy your bike

I agree it's m&s. I have an original paint 1928 mead built by schwinn. Mine is also badged as a crusader but is a 28inch motobike like the schwinn b10. I love meads enjoy your bike
Thanks Rebel. I just sold and am shipping my vinegar washed '55 Wasp cross country this week, so an authentic crusty Chicago built bike makes an ideal replacement.
I haven't had the pleasure of a having (or even seeing) a Mead yet and was surprised by the ride quality after it had spent at least a year outside in the northern elements.

Yea man they are amazing bikes. I've told my kids a handful of times if our house ever burned down they each have a bike to grab and my mead is one of them lol. And your wasp was so kool man but I agree you got a real kool replacement.

LOL- You sure do like your Meads alright!
Thanks for the info.
I'm thinking a thorough cleaning, greasing, smoothing and my first trial of boiled linseed sealing method is in order to start this one.
I picked up most of those materials today.

Yea for sure give the bike a wd40 bath but I'm sure you already plan on that. Lemme know how the linseed method works I've never tried it before but the cabe guys swear by it.

Yep will do. I'll likely record the process.
I just built a couple of cool old CCMs and think this'll be my last whole bike project for awhile. I haven't decided if I have enough to this build to record in build off or not.
I also sold my Huffy Camaro yesterday which was my most likely BOTEN candidate, then picked up this too clean AeroBee Renegade this afternoon....just because again, I 've never seen/had one and still had some change in my pocket.
And I swear I'm trying to downsize my collection, but...
(sellers pic)
$_35.JPG

Latest posts

Back