I said I wasn't going to do it, and well I did.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said to myself I wasn't going to do it, but I did and have caught the bug. It's all you people's fault. Especially @Krash lol. I ended up with this. October 1970 Schwinn Apple Krate. I believe it's a coaster model. Since I'm just moving along slowly with the Dragster, and am waiting for the Duro's to start being made again, I started collecting pieces for this.
IMG_2316.jpg

So far, I've got the correct bars, grips, seat post, sissy bar, seat post clamp, sissy bar clamps, Q bolts, and a reflector on the way. I'm looking for the top clamp that attaches the seat to the seat post. The floating clamp. Can't seem to find one. Anyone have one?

I said to myself I wasn't going to do it, but I did and have caught the bug. It's all you people's fault. Especially @Krash lol. I ended up with this. October 1970 Schwinn Apple Krate. I believe it's a coaster model. Since I'm just moving along slowly with the Dragster, and am waiting for the Duro's to start being made again, I started collecting pieces for this. View attachment 142939
Have a pic of the floating clamp you're looking for?

I have been getting a steady flow of parts in, all correct to 1970, Original seat, although it will have to be recovered, Sissy bar, rear fender, seat clamp, floating clamp, 1970 reflector, 1970 gooseneck, 70 stamped handlebars, vintage red glitter grips. Still on the way is a 70 front wheel and original tire, Q bolts. My big items I need are a complete springer front end, front fender, S2 rear rim with the correct hub and Bendix brake. Then the rear tire and bow pedals, chain.
krate parts.jpg

The floating clamp is particular to the bikes with the suspension in the sissy bars from what i've been able to find out. They allow the seat to pivot correctly when the suspension is still floating yet clamps to the seat post securely. Most of the high dollar Krate seats have them on Ebay still, but the one I ended up with didn't so I had to track one down. Here's a better pic.
Screenshot_2020-11-16 NOS Schwinn bicycle KRATE floating seat CLAMP eBay.png

The floating clamp is particular to the bikes with the suspension in the sissy bars from what i've been able to find out. They allow the seat to pivot correctly when the suspension is still floating yet clamps to the seat post securely. Most of the high dollar Krate seats have them on Ebay still, but the one I ended up with didn't so I had to track one down. Here's a better pic.
View attachment 144149

ive-just-learned-something.jpg

Thanks for the education, on that, I had always wondered about how a banana seat would pivot with the suspension sissy bars. I just assumed they were just left ‘hand tight’ instead of cinched down.

We get gifts of knowledge every day, that’s why it’s called the ‘present’

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought there was simply enough flex in the seat to work with the suspension, never knew they actually would have pivoting clamps.
If ever using a banana seat with suspension I planned on stuffing a larger cap (11/8 ahead cap for example) on top of the seat post so it would prevent the clamp underneath coming off the seat post and leave the clamp a little loose with locknuts on the tightening bolt so the seat can pivot.

I thought there was simply enough flex in the seat to work with the suspension, never knew they actually would have pivoting clamps.
If ever using a banana seat with suspension I planned on stuffing a larger cap (11/8 ahead cap for example) on top of the seat post so it would prevent the clamp underneath coming off the seat post and leave the clamp a little loose with locknuts on the tightening bolt so the seat can pivot.
I'd thought about that, but since this is my first krate, I wanted it to be as authentic as possible, so I was able to find the right clamp. Since they don't seem to be out there readily available, I'm going to keep an eye out for them at the swaps and garage sales when i come across old bike stuff.

what size spokes / nipples do I need to assemble a the rear wheel? Never done it before. I have the S2 Rim, and a Bendix Red Band coaster hub now.

Latest posts

Back