I thought this was a post-war Columbia. I was wrong...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I've been lurking this forum for a bit and I've enjoyed all the pics and posts. I've gone through the "Show Your Columbia's" posts, but can't find anything close enough to confirm an ID on this old bike. I'm planning on a full-blown restoration, but I'd really like to know exactly what I have and what it should look like. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've been all over this bike and I can't locate a serial number anywhere. I've checked both dropouts, under the crank and the headpost. I guess it could be buried beneath the paint, but I'd imagine I'd be able to see at least enough to determine if there was something stamped there or not.

I've got a few pics posted below. I tried to capture the features I believe to be the most distinctive.

First, an overall shot of the bike. Pretty sure it's undergone an older paint job. It's also clear that one of the rear fender braces is not original. Wheels are 26 x 2.125" Wards Riverside Mate - Air Cushion.
img_3326.jpg

The chainguard has a bit of a unique shape in that I haven't been able to find pictures of any others like it. Not sure if this is the original chainguard or not. Pedals look original. Also, the front sprocket is HUGE!
img_3327.jpg

Front and rear hub (coaster brake) are New Departure.
img_3328.jpg

The rear hub needs to be rebuilt as it really only partially works. Also wanted to get a good shot of the dropouts.
img_3330.jpg

I'm trying to get a shot of the stem. It has a nice design to it - looks a bit art-deco to me. It's difficult to get this shot.
img_3334.jpg

Upside down Arnold Schwinn bolt on the stem. I've read some stories that just after the war, bicycle factories were scrambling to get bikes assembled and sometimes they used whatever parts they could get. (Or someone just swapped out the stem at some point.)
img_3338.jpg

So, just under the seat, after the two top bars come together, there's this plate. I'm assuming the holes are where a rear rack would have attached. At first I thought this may been a repair, but then a friend pointed out the similarities to the kickstand plate.
img_3332.jpg

Here's the kickstand plate. Notice how it matches the plate above. Looking from below (not pictured), both of these plates match in how they are made.
img_3331.jpg

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may have!

Later,
Ron

What's up man. I don't believe that's a columbia. It actually kinda looks like a monark frame with schwinn fork and columbia chainring. Check the rear dropout for serial # that's where columbia would have it or sand down under the crank casing and see if you can find something. I know my bikes but I don't know everything so I may be wrong but I've had columbias from the 30s-60s and never seen n e thing like this from them.the bike looks like it has a couple rewelds double check im not wearing my glasses but if it does you'll never get your money back from what you put into it. Also if it was a post war columbia the headbadge screws would be vertical and I can't see the front of the headtube. Kool bike man

I thought Columbia when I saw the first pic, going by the sprocket, but it's got heart shaped cutouts, not Columbia. The chain guard looks like Evans, as do the dropouts. It's probably a late 40's, early 50's Evans. Nice find.

I thought Columbia when I saw the first pic, going by the sprocket, but it's got heart shaped cutouts, not Columbia. The chain guard looks like Evans, as do the dropouts. It's probably a late 40's, early 50's Evans. Nice find.
Wildcat you always amaze me how much you known bout these bikes and I'm feeling my age that I couldn't see those were hearts without my glasses lol.

Hi Wildcat,

Can you point me towards any resources where I can find some pics of Evans bicycles? A couple of quick Google searches aren't turning anything up for me.

Thanks,
Ron

On another note., Elgin and Columbia both used Sweethearts. My '41 Elgin has one Stock. they often shared similar parts in the 30's through early 40's

I updated the title of this thread. Searching Evans Colson, I found some very close matches to my bike. Thanks Wildcat and everyone for the assistance. Now to track down the year and model. I've got an email off to NBHAA, so we'll see what they come back with. Also, I took to the frame with some sandpaper this afternoon and finally found the serial number. It is located under the crank (and was also under some old paint). Best I can read, it's A105701A.

Later,
Ron

It's definitely Evans-Colson. This is the early version of their frame that was produced from '54-56. I would guess this particular example to be '54 maybe '55 because the New Departure division of GM suffered a flood, with the cost of rebuilding being too much an expense, they shut down. Hubs can be expected to turn up for a a couple years as backstock was used off the shelves. The E-C company was only producing bicycles for the period of '54-62 with little information out there to be hunted down. The best info on these early bikes is a 1954 catalog which is about the only easy reference you can find on the internet.

I actually live a few miles from the Evans-Colson factory location and try to provide the info I can when one turns up. Most parts are original but the bars/stem and seat have likely been swapped. Unique bikes. The headbadges are commonly missing because they are very tall and only used a single rivet in the center.

Jpromo - the head tube on this bike has two rivets, aligned vertically. Not sure if that helps any further or not.

Wildcat you always amaze me how much you known bout these bikes and I'm feeling my age that I couldn't see those were hearts without my glasses lol.

My first bike was a 24" Evans, back in 1962. I never knew what brand until I saw the same rear rack on a bike here. I've never seen that style of Evan's frame, the top bars are like a Columbia newsboy.

And I have a new pair of bifocals

Latest posts

Back