I Woke Up To A Loopy Lady Today

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another late night browsing Kijiji yesterday turned into this loopy lady in a trade with a nice fella from the neighborhood who aired her up and rode her over this morning.
I spent the afternoon cleaning her up just a bit and taking her for a good little spin myself. She had been out of service for many years waiting in the shadows of a garage covered in grease and grime.
The guy I traded with told me he got the bike from an old timer who remembered seeing his mother riding it as early as 1939.
It's a Standard Cycle brand from here in Toronto, a company's whose history I am not yet aware.

The factors that drew me in were it being a brand and frame style I've not owned, the odometer and the fairly solid looking paint work that I thought would be fun to revive.

I then noticed the solid and shapely stem, swoopy nickel (I think) plated bars, ND rear hub and reflector that I've not seen before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool! I like the color scheme, it should clean up nicely too.

Thanks Jim, I like the color scheme too. I may use similar combo in the future as I now have 1/2 dozen bare metal bikes. I figure that's about 4 too many!
The frame on this old girl is untouched and is actually a very dark greeny black.
There are signs of the scallop's tone under the black brush painted fenders too.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is one extremely cool bike....think of the possibilities.
It's so much fun to clean them up and see the life coming back into them, isn't it?
however, I think it's more swoopy...not loopy...;)
:thumbsup:

best
Franco

Thanks Franco, It's totally addictive reviving these old pieces. I brought an old Higgins back to life that I picked yesterday morning and now I'm on to this one right after.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/im-thinking-elgin.97378/
A lot of possibilities indeed. Clean, lube, tires to start and then...maybe try and hide it from myself for awhile.
I'll see what I can find in way of original or complimentary finishes and I'm already wrestling with the ever present urges to 'borrow' parts for other builds.:blackeye:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's totally addictive reviving these old pieces. :blackeye:

You got that right LFD...whew
It's like a drug. I've been cleaning fixing flipping bikes for a couple of years now, (off and on) Now... since I found this site, I'm chopping them, gettin' my welding skillz down....and reading these dammm for-ummmz till way past my bedtime every evening. Information overload.
What can I say....It's a super site full of creativity, a great hobby, we're learning all the time, and hey...we ain't hurtin' anybody.....
:happy:

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You got that right LFD...whew
It's like a drug. I've been cleaning fixing flipping bikes for a couple of years now, (off and on) Now... since I found this site, I'm chopping them, gettin' my welding skillz down....and reading these dammm for-ummmz till way past my bedtime every evening. Information overload.
What can I say....It's a super site full of creativity, a great hobby, we're learning all the time, and hey...we ain't hurtin' anybody.....
:happy:

It would be helpful if there was some kind of 12 Speed program when it gets out of hand.
I just can't go Cold Turkey, I just need one more look at the forum or classifieds.

Oh that reminds me, today I have to install a cable stop to finish this Raleigh 3 speed I rescued last week.
00C0C_lUAW8mhXWcZ_600x450.jpg

Last edited: