iAM Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Starting with a 1952 Murray built J.C. Higgins frame obtained from Garagegoon. This build will evolve over time, but won't be as involved as my Kustom Coaster III from BO8T. Someone has applied some patina to the frame and parts. Actual finish decision is in limbo. Frame will remain unmodified. An Electra wheel set will be used. Header tank may be forthcoming.
EDIT added: got to thinking today that my first bike in the early 50's was a 24" JC Higgins tank bike with a rack. It had the same white continuous line consisting of the fender stays and chain guard. The bike was also red with some white graphics. Brings back some memories. I remember taking the tank off cause it wasn't cool. Now I'm set on putting one back on this bike.
zamebara.jpg

ne8ene9e.jpg
he2y3u8u.jpg
a5ymy6ut.jpg
asumyvyq.jpg
9y9e9ude.jpg

Last edited:
Parts Option Photos:
4yda3emu.jpg
6upepaqa.jpg
u4egepad.jpg
8uhy6u9y.jpg
uve4ubum.jpg

Some Build Thoughts: Need to ponder the overall theme a bit more. I'm liking the patina of the existing frame and parts, but it seems that it either needs to look older or newer. Powder coat or paint may be in future. Had a chance to buy a tank for iAM Higgins last weekend but it came with a whole bike that I didn't want. I may fabricate a tank with headers
Not sure I'm satisfied with the fork. The wheel set will be painted to match one another. The rear wheel has a Nexus 3speed hub. Not sure I like the tires I have. The brown ones are 26 x 2.35 and fill the fenders better, anything wider will require spreading the rear chain stays. I'll need to verify that my rusty skip-tooth chain can be recycled. If not I'll go with the 1/2" pitch chain ring for modern reliability. Handle bars and saddle in limbo. I have more time this year but not sure I have the motivation to add as much detail as last year. I think the KISS principle may be in order.

Last edited:
Your builds are always fun to watch. Looking forward to seeing you "getting higgy with it".

New photos added at top two posts.

Mockup Study:
du7a4yhe.jpg
evejy9ar.jpg

Starting to experiment with some details. Will try to give the paint some weathering Friday. Adding trim piece.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398982537.648483.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398982557.579069.jpg

Nice. What's the chrome from?

The fender braces and chain guard lines are some of my favorites!
Thanks, I also like the white line that wraps the bike. The chrome piece is a fender ornament that I picked a while back from one of our LBS's.

First attempt at a bit of ratting. Sanding plus stain, probably needs a second round.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399045922.574440.jpg

This the first old bike that I've been able to get the front fender bolt to come out in one piece. The original bike color appears to show up under the fork. Again someone added a layer of patina paints before I obtained it. Starting to like the appearance.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399061559.796519.jpg

I drilled two holes after removing the fender and installed the fender ornament. I put the fender back on and decided to test fit the front wheel and tire to check for clearance. I had to spread the fork blades to get the modern hub in place. I used a wood clamp in the opposite way it is meant to be used.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399061888.710145.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399061953.226420.jpg

I'm going to take the wheels apart and paint the rims in a contrasting color. Starting to like the brown tires. Might look at black or gray tires instead.

Wheels are despoked. Need prep for paint. First attempt will be a contrasting color with the bike frame and fenders. The pink clashes a bit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399069776.915943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399069794.578532.jpg

Parts are bagged for reassembly.

Roughing out a template profile for tank. Tubes are tapered so that will create some issues. Hopefully a little easier than the door panels from last year.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399161425.657407.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399161448.999777.jpg

Going to try for two halves for the tank, wood, sealed, painted with graphics. Maybe lighted headers. iAM Higgins moniker reasoning to be revealed later on. "Rough" idea...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399163392.772934.jpg

Latest posts

Back