Idaho Spud, Finished Photos

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright I'm throwing my hat in the ring with this 1930s D.P Harris badged as a Zenith. This bike has a bit of a story It was first bought some time in the early to mid 30s in Idaho, definitely ridden hard most it's life. And then in the 60s it was sold at a yard sale to a local collector, and thats who applied the paint job, seat recover, the hand made drop stand, and the modified fenders. I then purchased it from that collector who had owned it for the last 58 years, it's a pretty safe bet that I'm the 3rd or 4th owner. Which is not bad for a bike that's 80+ years old.
IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

How comfy is that seat? I've got a huge old padded leather seat that's like baseball glove leather and it's about the most comfy seat I've ever sat on. Yours looks to be similar.

Carl.

I was just looking at the rear rack and thought it throws out some easy ideas to build. And now you mention the stand is homemade.... Sitting on the edge of my seat for some close up shots of that and measurements.

How comfy is that seat? I've got a huge old padded leather seat that's like baseball glove leather and it's about the most comfy seat I've ever sat on. Yours looks to be similar.
Carl.

I think he used old boot leather or something for the seat, it's super stiff but not uncomfortable.

I was just looking at the rear rack and thought it throws out some easy ideas to build. And now you mention the stand is homemade.... Sitting on the edge of my seat for some close up shots of that and measurements.

I'll most definitely get measurements for the drop stand, it's super cool. Maybe even cooler if I could recreate one, but I don't even know if I can get the same thickness of sheet metal anymore.

Great story and killer bike!
What are you plans with it? It already looks awesome!

Great story and killer bike!
What are you plans with it? It already looks awesome!

I agree it looks perfect as is, so all my plans are. Cleaning it, and repacking it with fresh grease.

Looks like you 'dug up' another Idaho spud gem!

RaT oN!

Is that a cover on the seat? Or a permanent recover? I'm wondering how good the original looks under there.

I noticed there are a lot of DP Harris/ Snyder/ Rollfast bikes in the build off.

Is that a cover on the seat? Or a permanent recover? I'm wondering how good the original looks under there.

I noticed there are a lot of DP Harris/ Snyder/ Rollfast bikes in the build off.

I believe it's a recover, I haven't really taken a close look at it. Sadly I've been as sick as a dog the last week.

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG

It's a slow start for me, it's finally warm here so I started on disassembly and cleaning.

Love the paint on this bike, looking forward to how this goes, also want to take a tour of that garage haha

IMG_0137.JPG

Replaced the crank arm with a dog leg crank, and cleaned up the sprocket.
IMG_0152.JPG

Also rebuilt the front end.
IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

This bike has a Morrow hub, sadly it was trashed and I had to use two other hubs just to get this one working.
IMG_0150.JPG

As you can see this hub was beat down, on the left is the cap that was on the bike originally and the right is the replacement.
IMG_0148.JPG

both these hubs where used as parts just to get one working.
DSC_1346.jpg

Here are photos of the drop stand, it's a really cool hand made piece. The clip is actually a part from a old desk stapler, according to the previous owner.
DSC_1338.jpg

DSC_1339.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

DSC_1344.jpg

DSC_1348.jpg

Added some new parts, Persons Scout bars, 60s Schwinn stem, and 60s cream grips. As well as some cream wald pedals.
DSC_1349.jpg

DSC_1350.jpg

This is kind of a it is what it is build, things are bent all the parts are mismatched and don't fit well together. And some parts are so corroded there's nothing I can really do to fix them. But I still like this bike and appreciate the local history and quirkiness it possesses.

I could see that Coke crate in the back round lashed onto the rear rack. I've got a friend with a crate rack and we use it all the time to haul coffees on cruises or stash things we've found till we get back to the car. Plenty of time to detail this cool cruiser out some.

Carl.

I could see that Coke crate in the back round lashed onto the rear rack. I've got a friend with a crate rack and we use it all the time to haul coffees on cruises or stash things we've found till we get back to the car. Plenty of time to detail this cool cruiser out some.

Carl.

The Coke crate is actually lashed to my 1958 Schwinn Hornet, although it would look nice on the Zenith. I've kind of been inspired to continue working on this bike, there's a few things I'd like to redo.

Latest posts

Back