I'll tell you my guess, you help me fill in the gaps?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Pic of my weekend haul:
IMG_2170_zpsd0f8d088.jpg

The badge has a big "C" on it, and "Collegiate" above the C. Has a skiptooth, lucky 7 seat post, tabs for a drop stand, adjustment screws, and a straight downtube. From what I've picked up on this site, the tabs screws and downtube equal 1930s. The tubes bell into the headtube like a Schwinn, but other clues make me rule Schwinn out. I've heard of the Schwinn Collegiate, but I've only seen those from the 60s and 70s. Also, I think that 1/4" of the headtube was cut off sometime in the past, but it looks like it'll still be usable. Can anyone help me fill in the holes on this frame and/or tell me if I've got something wrong?

By the way, the frame was so cheap, I almost felt bad paying the guy for it. Almost.

Sears Elgin Collegiate model, mf'd by Murray. These were "value-priced" models, some with fenders as the only sheet metal. Tanks, lights, carriers, etc not stock to keep the price down.
Seldom the innovator, Schwinn adopted a very similar construction method after WWII:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html

Besides the the awesome frame, ....the goose neck! slant big hole??BMX Its one of my favorites. I have a couple of them with fat chopper bars

Seldom the innovator, Schwinn adopted a very similar construction method after WWII:
http://sheldonbrown.com/chicago-schwinns.html

Seldom the innovator? Balloon tires, and cantilever frame are two I can think of off the top of my head. Do you own any balloon tires or cantilever frame bikes? You can thank Ignaz Schwinn for those. I also find it interesting that your avatar is a stylized "AS". For "Arnold, Schwinn" maybe???:grin: Gary

Seldom the innovator? Balloon tires, and cantilever frame are two I can think of off the top of my head. Do you own any balloon tires or cantilever frame bikes? You can thank Ignaz Schwinn for those. I also find it interesting that your avatar is a stylized "AS". For "Arnold, Schwinn" maybe???:grin: Gary

Schwinn did not invent the balloon tire, or their spring fork (check the 1907 Triumph below). I'd bet $1 that Ignaz saw a similar frame in Europe, drew his version of the cantilever, and filed for the patent in the US. That's an SA in the avatar...darnit, might have to change it :D

triumph190701-1.jpg

triumph190701-1a.jpg

Last edited:
I think everyone knows this picture. This Elgin looks like it has been made into a Whizzer at on time. Don't believe it to be factory original just because it has the tank. They wouldn't have put the long Elgin tank on it if it was going to be a whizzer.

I think everyone knows this picture. This Elgin looks like it has been made into a Whizzer at on time. Don't believe it to be factory original just because it has the tank. They wouldn't have put the long Elgin tank on it if it was going to be a whizzer.

The Whizzer kit was only ever sold as a factory option on Schwinns and Roadmasters (to the best of my knowledge). Then there was a Whizzer Pacemaker. The engine kits were primarily aftermarket add-ons, so no factory Elgins. The first Whizzer engines were manufactured in 1939 (same year as this Elgin) but very limited numbers were sold before WWII. They didn't really gain traction until the H motor in 1946.

The Elgin tank definitely wouldn't have worked with a gas tank. Speculation is always fun, though. It's possible that somebody just needed a rear wheel, borrowing it from their Whizzer that broke down and pa wouldn't fix.

My Collegiate, westfield built! The matching paint Elgin tank was an ebay find. I also had an earlier 30s westfield "Columbus", which had an identical badge other than the name. -Adam

Latest posts

Back