I'm enjoying building bikes, but pls don't steal them

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Ridge CA (The Armpit USA) Ridgecrest/China La
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started three years ago when my wife and I decided we needed to get bicycle to enjoy in this California weather (origionally from Chicago). I really didn't want to purchase your average NEXT mtn bike from Wal-mart, but I also didn't want to spend $300-$600 on a custom cruiser at our local bike shop. I made it a routine to visit the local thrift stores and drive by garage sales in search of a decent looking ride that wouldn't break my budget. I contemplated buying a couple of cruisers online at a $120-$180 price range, but never seemed to close the deal. In the Fall/Summer of 08' my wife found a pair of Schwinn male and female street cruisers at a school rummage sale for $5. The bones were good, but the paint was ugly and some of the replacement hardware was made for mtn bikes. I didn't really want a street cruiser so I decided to hold out for another good buy on a beach cruiser, but she was happy with hers. We were in Kmart a few months ago and found a Schwinn Windwood on sale for $80. My wife wanted me to have it so we purchased it. We decided to do a few customizations on her Schwinn street cruiser. I broke the bike down and painted the frame with a black base coat. I painted it purple and lilac with a metalic splash (looked like glitter). Chromed out the wheels, basket, rack, and all bolts and nuts. I blacked out the crank and pully, but left the pedals stock. Purchesed some new brake shoes and lines, handle grips and deep cleaned the brake levers. Replaced the gear lines and chromed the gears. The last touch was an "I Love My Bike" bell and a pink and purple rhinestone butterfly (to be attached later). But you see, I have no pictures for that bike, because it was stolen on Mothers Day. While this is a very frustrating situation, it is also a little flattering to know that someone loved my work so much that they would commit a crime to have it. The person who stole could not have been very experienced at steeling bikes that are locked though, because the rubber wrapped chain had burn marks on it like they were trying to burn the chain apart. Their only shot at success was that when my wife had locked the bike up she wrapped the chain through her metal front basket instead of through the frame. Whatever brain cells this theif had left were used to remove the basket by removing the bolts and nuts that held it together. After making a police report on our stolen bike and our neighbor's suv, that was broken into by the same thief, I drove around a little in the neighborhood to see if I could spot someone riding the bike.

Monday morning I found a couple of beach cruisers at our local Salvation Army for $20 each. I scored what I believe to be a gray metallic late model female Huffy with mountain bike tires for my wife (had been sprayed about three times in different collors) and a late 80's to early 90's maroon Murray Westport that had been pretty well kept accept for a dent on the rear fender, a few scratches on the frame and a faded brown seat. I've already started on my wife's bike by stripping, primering and painting the frame purple. The handle bars were painted over and scratched so i stripped them and re-chromed them,but I didn't like how they came out so I put nerf grips on them. I chromed the crank and purpled the pully. I'm gonna replace the wheels that I chromed, because they had been painted over and rusted with missing spokes. I want to find a pair of 24 inch wheels with a cruiser brake so that I could mount some fat boy tires. I chromed the chain, but I want to replace that as well. I would like to do a few more things to it, but I'm not sure what at this point. My wife wants a basket and a rear rack. Pls feel free to post suggestions.

PIC-0027.jpg

PIC-0028.jpg

PIC-0026.jpg

This is the Murray Westport that I purchased at the local Salvation Army. I'm gonn black out the frame, chrome the fenders, and mount some 24" wheels witih fat boy tires. Pls post suggestions.

PIC-0029.jpg

This is my Schwinn Windwood Bluelight Special. I added the Electra retro headlamp. I might decide to do more to it after I'm finished with my other builds.

PIC-0030.jpg

This is the origional Schwinn street cruiser that was purchased along with my wife's stolen cruiser at the rummage sale. This is more than likely gonna be my fourth build. Pls feel free to post any suggestions and if you have any free spare parts let me know. lol

Latest posts

Back