Inspiration for your MBBO/ORBO Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Peterson Book of the Bicycle with a build story on this bike. It is incredible!
Not aware of that one. Have to look for it. Altered my life.

Allan Abbott also designed the controversial Signorina.
abbott2.jpg

2-signorina-allan-abbott.jpg

hamppea;
I first saw in on a magazine rack next to the Mad Magazine at the IGA store near my high school.
I finally found a copy 40 years later on eBay. Couldn't remember the book name, only the build article on a homemade BMX bike I thought was awesome.
I have the book handy in my shed, I will pull it out and take a couple photos to make it easier to find man.
Thanks, Rob

hamppea;
I first saw in on a magazine rack next to the Mad Magazine at the IGA store near my high school.
I finally found a copy 40 years later on eBay. Couldn't remember the book name, only the build article on a homemade BMX bike I thought was awesome.
I have the book handy in my shed, I will pull it out and take a couple photos to make it easier to find man.
Thanks, Rob
Thank you. I learned about it from a Guinness World Records book in the 70's. My dad explained how it worked. I was hooked thereafter fitting the largest sprockets possible.

That image is burned into memory over 4 decades, along with the one below. On occasion I combine the two :crazy:
View attachment 177470

Hmmm, are salt flats off road?
This is the book with the stories I mentioned. Cool old book if you can find it. Shouldn't be too hard man.

20220122_141022.jpg
20220122_141105.jpg
20220122_141133.jpg
20220122_141744.jpg

I am sending a PM with a link to a copy of this book.

Thank you. I learned about it from a Guinness World Records book in the 70's. My dad explained how it worked. I was hooked thereafter fitting the largest sprockets possible.
If you find any, the sprockets from the original Schwinn Excersizer are the largest I have ever seen man. I had one but it went with most of my bikes for the museum.
Screenshot_20220123-095542_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220123-095505_DuckDuckGo.jpg

One of us just brought one of those home. @Bike from the Dead wasn't that you? I was going to mention that sprocket on your "Finds" thread, but I forgot. People want those big gears.
Yeah, just got one last week. Part of the reason I got that exercise bike was for the giant sprocket, in case I decided to use it for parts. For now though, I'm using it as intended, especially during the winter when it's too cold for me to ride my other bikes.

Late getting here but...
There's two distinct versions of that exerciser bike sprocket. The older one IMHO is better it has large speed holes in it and the older exerciser has a nice heavy duty seat post too.

As far as inspiration... Toss a theme out and I like to just run with it. My mind is working overtime anyway juggling a dozen projects at any give moment. Drives my girlfriend crazy and amazes my kids. I'm also a proponent of tossing things at a bike until they stick. A lot of builds depend on what I have on hand when they start. The swing bike showed up right before the MBBO started.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back