Intro / Electra Townie 7 Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've grown very inspired reading through a ton of posts, looking at different pictures, and checking out the evolution of so many projects. Thanks to everyone for all the information.

I usually ride my Cannondale Adventure 1000 for long trips (blasphemy here, perhaps -- LOL) but lately it's just kind of annoying to take on slow neighborhood jaunts with my demon spawns. So I'm looking for a bit more comfort, a bit more cruising, and a bit more "cool" factor.

Anyway, I have an original Electra Townie 7 that has been gathering dust. It's a very comfortable bike, but to me it seems a bit boring stock, especially after seeing all the ideas here. I'd like to start planning some modifications to it, and was hoping to get some advice and/or suggestions on the following:

- Fatten the rear. It has 26x1.9 on on the rear with a Nexus 7 speed hub, coaster break only. I have 1/2 inch clearance on the sides of the frame, and nearly a 1 inch on the top, and somewhere in between by the chain. Suggestions for a fatter tire that will fit on my rim? Or is that a lost cause? At a minimum I'd like to go with a nice whitewall look.

- New front end. I really like the chrome "chopper" look of the Ghostrider/Rat Fink (in fact, I have my CL RSS set to search for one, amongst other tings - wish me luck!) I also like the look and feel of a straighter, more dragster type handlebar. I've poked around choppersus.com, but feel a bit overwhelmed. Any pointers? I'm not terribly concerned about cost with the front end. I want good quality because I'm considering adding an electric hub to the front eventually, so it needs to be able to stand up to that torque.

- Fatten the front. Same specs as the rear, less the Nexus of course. Not sure if this is possible either, although I wouldn't mind keeping it the same size.

- Seat. I have a black B135 on the way. I guess I'll keep the stock Townie seat for my next project. :)

- I'm also considering an Xtracycle Free Radical when they are available again this year, or when I find one on CL or EB. I need to be able to haul around the beverages in addition to the children!

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts, or some "what would you do" type of suggestions -- I always appreciate the inspiration, and am happy to be part of the community.

Thanks!

-- Pics --

townie-1.jpg

townie-2.jpg

townie-3.jpg

townie-4.jpg

townie-5.jpg

townie-6.jpg

townie-7.jpg

i know Electra has said Fat Franks will fit a normal townie frames (non-balloon models) but they wont fit with the fenders on. 2.125's might be doable but id say it would be a very close call leaving the fenders on it.

... and WELCOME !!! :lol:

CCR said:
i know Electra has said Fat Franks will fit a normal townie frames (non-balloon models) but they wont fit with the fenders on. 2.125's might be doable but id say it would be a very close call leaving the fenders on it.

Ahh cool, I'll take a look into that. Thanks!

I'm not planning on keeping the Townie fenders, and will probably also remove the chain guard. If I can find some steel fenders that will slip in, or something on the rear that hangs off the seat post, that may be a possibility too.

hey man, welcome... i'm not 100% about the tire question but if you have room a bigger tire should fit. The width is usually the limiting factor and the forks are usually narrower than the stays. Keep in mind if you go too big an untrue rim may cause tire rub on the frame and would damage the paint. Your local bike store should be able to help you find the biggest size possible or just measure. One thing to keep in mind is that with a bigger tire you might need a different fender, or you might not be able to have a fender at all.

I think bars like these would look good on your bike, maybe not so wide though. And a different neck than the one you have now, one with not so much up angle. I like your bag it looks cool, like a gas tank. I would definitely remove the front reflector and rack. but all this is personal preff and if you get some stuff you like but its not right for that bike save it for the next one. hope this helps you get the ball rolling good luck and post some pics of your results.
IMG_1363.jpg

Well, if I could find someone who has some Big Hanks (black with red stripe) in stock, I'd be partially on my way.

What type of fork is used on the Rat Fink ?

(Electra's website scares me with all the sliding graphics bazillion MB catalog...)

Ahh great looking bike. I just checked out the thread. Way way cool.

Regarding forks, I was able to check out the fork specs on the Rat Fink, and read that they were triple-tree forks. I remembered seeing some on choppersus.com, so worst case I'll spend a bit of money and get something new. Now that I know what they are, I'll keep an eye out on CL and EB.

I'm wondering if a 24" fat rim with something like the Fattio's on the back would work. I'm sure it would look cool, just not sure about the clearance when inflated. I assume it's around 3". I would want to rebuild the wheel though (or have it rebuilt) because I want to retain my 7 speed internal -- this is going to be a 2WD machine soon enough.

I guess I should really just start a project thread, since this has become more of an intro... :)

Latest posts

Back