ISC-1927

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally a build-off I can enter! OK so a few month ago I was contracted to build a bike for an old friend in Nor-Cal named Pee Wee. He's a big dude with a big budget. He wanted a very unique custom that would emulate the Frisco style choppers the Hells Angels built and rode around the San Francisco area. By the time we got into the same mindset and had ordered the necessary parts and materials I knew this bike was going to cost a small fortune. So I gave him a price just under $3K as a ballpark figure and he didn't even flinch.

I saw this as an grand opportunity to build several bikes, that I could sell at a higher profit margin, while working within the budget set forth on Pee Wee's bike build. Basically I take all the profit from one bike and turn out three more bikes I can sell for a greater profit. It's a business reinvestment. I'll then take those profits and purchase more tools and parts for the next round of bike builds. I was forced to make a larger than normal steel purchase to get a company price break and now I have enough material left over for 8 more bikes.

I try to keep up with new custom ideas within the bike and motorcycle industry from around the world. Although I have some unique and different concepts, if one looked long enough and hard enough you'd probably realize that there are NO new ideas. That being said, to some extent, everyone will take creative license from others with their own designs. I guess what I'm saying is if you look at one person's "unique" or "original" idea you will ultimately see other peoples ideas within it.

I recently saw the winning bike from the FBI-COTY in Amsterdam this last August and it has really stuck with me. Although I love the lines and the overall shape of this bike, (in my minds eye) I see areas that need improvement. I immediately started thinking of the changes I'd make if I ever built a bike like that one.

Usually I start a build or design in TurboCad. I have been using this simple CADD program for years now as a computer sketch pad. Long ago I figured out that certain stock parts like cranks, seats and shocks were being replicated in all of my drawings. So I spent one night drawing all the parts I thought might be "stock" and saved them to a file called "bike parts". Now whenever I design a new bike I just open the "bike parts" file and start dragging around the individual parts and drawing the bike as I need to. As I'm drawing a new idea a common theme or name usually presents itself and that becomes the name of the file and the new bike.

30sug4g.jpg

This new design just kept saying old Henry Ford to me. And that kept me thinking about my 1927 Ford Model T sedan. That is how I came up with the simple name "1927". When I look at the overall design I think of the bike old Henry would have made if he built bikes instead of cars. This is a challenge for me to pull off as I've never built a short wheelbase "proper" bike before. I want it to be just right or I won't show it. As it sits right now I have the 3/4" heim joints, the 24" Skyway wheels, the leaf spring and the steel for the frame and fork. I need to order a handful of parts and make quite a few others but I should be able to build this bike in a couple of months, no problem.

Wish me luck. later Travis

glad to have you in(now kick some of that nor cal work my way :wink: ).......
theres nothing new under the sun..anything and everything that can be done has already been done(with or without our knowledge of it)
looking forward too seeing this :mrgreen:

I started playing around with the drawing in TurboCad. I wasn't completely satisfied with it and I came up with a slightly different version of the same bike. I named this one "1932" do to the progressiveness of the design. Now I'm torn between the two similar but different designs. I've always wanted a track style bike, this one might be it...? Now I've got to ponder this one a little bit...

mijsiw.jpg

Later Travis

Hey Travis, I like the second design...I like how the BB is biased towards the rear. It looks a lot 'sportier'...I wonder how it would peddle? Kan't wait to see more!!

I like both. But prefer the first. the second would be too much on the knees I think. I like how the rear wheel looks like it's out in the middle of no where too.

Either is going to be quite cool.

I think I'm leaning more toward the first design now. I might build the second later with a set of 700c wheels as a track bike and give it a fitted seat height for me, I'm 6'2".

Yeah I'm going with the first one. Its settled then. Later T

mmm.... cant wait to see this sucker....

Thanks Larry, I'm almost done with Pee Wee's Boozer Cruiser so as soon as its out the door this one will begin. Who knows I might start bending tubing this week. We'll see. Hey Larry whats the tightest radius you can bend 1-1/4 tubing? I mean whats your smallest die for 1.25" tubing. I need a U bend in 1.25" .095 wall tubing to start this frame and I don't have a regular bender that can bend more than 90 degrees. I'll send you an email. Later Travis

Gentlemen, I apologize but I think I'm going to have to bow out of this competition. There just simply are not enough hours in the day or days of the month for me to finish clients bikes and another one for myself. As soon as I finish Pee Wee's bike I'm jetting off to San Francisco for the SF Bike Expo on the 20th of this month and then when I return I'm having all my family down for Thanksgiving and I don't want to try a rush build in less than 12 days for a new concept bike I'd rather take a couple months building. None the less I will document the complete build for your pleasure in the near future.

Again I'm sorry but I, like Larry the Blacksmith, have too many obligations at this moment to try to build another bicycle just for the fun of it. I will build it, just not before December 9th.

Thanks guys for understanding. Later Travis

You have to build this one i love the design i will see ya soon at the sf expo

Latest posts

Back