IT CAME FROM OUTTA SPACE?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about how rideable the bike is going to be. Pretty tough to get going with the 52/19 combo. I did order this 23T sprocket that I believe will fit my hub.
23T.jpg

Depending on the outcome, I will probably be switching my rear hub to one of these:
P5190002.JPG

A Sachs Duomatic or Dreigang. Both have 1.0 and 1.36 overdrive, but the Dreigang has a lower 1st gear, if I think I need it to get moving. I will need to drill which ever one I decide to use for the 12g spokes that I haven't ordered yet.

I know your still flipping thru forks but I really think you should go back to the rat trap. They came on the chrome Spaceliners and you can't beat the stance on a rat trap with flipped rockers. They look good on everything. Turn the rockers around and flip them left for right. The dropout will face down nothing to worry about. Try it.
Also I have a 22t cog on Harlequin with an exerciser sprocket. It's on a SA three speed coaster hub, 2nd is 1:1 and easy to pedal. I use 1st gear for hills and 3rd for running down touring bikes with my stretch rat. The 22t should work fine on either hub.

Carl.

I know your still flipping thru forks but I really think you should go back to the rat trap. They came on the chrome Spaceliners and you can't beat the stance on a rat trap with flipped rockers. They look good on everything. Turn the rockers around and flip them left for right. The dropout will face down nothing to worry about. Try it.
Also I have a 22t cog on Harlequin with an exerciser sprocket. It's on a SA three speed coaster hub, 2nd is 1:1 and easy to pedal. I use 1st gear for hills and 3rd for running down touring bikes with my stretch rat. The 22t should work fine on either hub.

Carl.
The Spaceliner had the rockers flipped when I bought the bike (see green bike, page 1). Looks cool, but it isn't going to work with the riding position I have planned.

Ah.. I've been going around and around with the whole stance and seating position on mine. The problem I'm having is the size of this odd frame, middleweights just aren't really big enough. I could slap parts on it and it'd look cool. But I want to ride it, ya know? I'm always checking your build too, can't wait to see the next step.

Carl.

Been on page two long enough. Finally some free time. Here is this weeks parts pile:
P6100005.JPG

I also tried the 23 tooth Shimano sprocket on for size along with the KMC nickel plated chain. Used all 118 links.
P6100012.JPG

Took it out for a test ride. Much better than the 18 tooth. I have decided to go with the Sachs Duomatic instead of the Dreigang. The Duomatic fits the frame without extreme measures and I can avoid having to figure out a shifter.

Been on page two long enough. Finally some free time. Here is this weeks parts pile:
View attachment 196350
I also tried the 23 tooth Shimano sprocket on for size along with the KMC nickel plated chain. Used all 118 links.
View attachment 196351
Took it out for a test ride. Much better than the 18 tooth. I have decided to go with the Sachs Duomatic instead of the Dreigang. The Duomatic fits the frame without extreme measures and I can avoid having to figure out a shifter.
Good choice with the Duomatic! I'm looking for one for quite a while now, but what's on the market here is far to expensive for my budgets...

Good choice with the Duomatic! I'm looking for one for quite a while now, but what's on the market here is far to expensive for my budgets...
I believe that I got both Sachs hubs from the same seller at different times. I didn't have any idea at the time what I would use them on. After thinking about it, I'm going to use the Mod. 55 Dreigang hub to replace the disappointing Sturmey Archer hub on my BO13 bike https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/back-in-b-the-day-finished.106367/.

Hi Swissguy, I have a wheelset (26x1 3/8") with a (1988?) F&S Duomatic.
If interested, pm me and I'll give you the details.
Sorry for the thread polution.

Love that frame @hammer mechanic !
I like the duct tape idea too, saw some at a car show years ago where you can smoothen it with a heat gun/blow dryer.

Space racer! Awesome juxtaposition of old and new. Pretty surprised at how much room there is in the fork, what size is the wheel?

Latest posts

Back