Jacked Up Pilot, few new pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jacked Up Pilot, Gun Bluing, a few more pics

That's a great idea for a blue original finish that has some rust spots through the paint - you could tone down the rust color and keep the original finish also. Thanks - I've got a 30s original blue finish Belknap badged bike coming that the owner says has rust also - blue is way better than rust color. Robert

Re: Jacked Up Pilot, Gun Bluing (not blue yet)

MplsCoaster said:
Youthgeye: Sorry, I didn't see that you did that last year.
I'll have to go back and check it out

No big deal, I don't know if I even mentioned it, I just wiped some bolts and nuts down that held on the rack and taillight and maybe some other small parts, I just didn't like them shiny.

I love this. I've been toying the idea of bluing a bike frame in my head for quite some time now. I'm thinking of an old lugged frame with the tubes blued and lugs rugged brown like an old rifle stock....blued rims & brown tires..... maybe some day.

I've done quite a bit of bluing on all the old rifles and shotguns I restore. My method of choice is to apply the blue with a 000 steel wool pad, ribbing it in as i go to achieve a uniform finish. Blue can be some cantankerous stuff until you get the hang of it. Are you using the new bluing paste or the standard liquid?

Edit... Not sure how I missed the picture with the paste right smack dab in the middle. I'd say give the liquid a try as well before you move onto your final application. The paste is easier to work with for sure but you can get a deeper blue from the liquid. imho

There was a trend in the 70's into maybe the early 90's to achieve an electric blue/purple bluing finish on high end custom guns with gold inlays and such.I tried it with home kits but failed miserably.
If someone could pull it off on a bike frame it would be sick!!

My Father was a pretty good Gunsmith, but not by trade. He custom made a stock for his 30-06 Enfield out of three birds eye maple boards glued together, then a high gloss finish on the stock and the barrel on that gun was like a mirror. He did his own bluing but I've never seen a blued finish so deep and reflective. He was a handy guy to have around. Robert

I used it on the seat and I think the chain guard of my RRBBO last year. I've never used the gel type though, only the liquid. If you heat FIRST then apply it usually goes darker. Also works great on brass and zinc! :wink: I use it all the time when making sculpture. Also Birchwood Casey makes a type called Super Blue (I think) which is AWESOME. It's so strong you can even cut it with water, and it still works. Keep experimenting! :D

Re: Jacked Up Pilot, Bluing plus Clear pics

Thanks guys for all the comments and interest :D
Kinda cool that others have bluing stories and methods
Thanks for sharing them

Roadmaster Robert: I think it tones down the rust too, especially in the pits
Great story about your Dad and that gun stock must of been awesome!
Peatbog: Dude, you crack me up! :lol: :lol: Looking forward to see how you use it
Youthgeye: Cool. You already thought of a great way to deshine, smart...
Green P1: Your idea sounds really cool, I won't steal it :lol:
A couple years ago I realized BSA bikes also made guns, good at tube making
I'll look around for the liquid.

Bike2112: Thanks and I'm going to clear because it can be rubbed off, see below
XCruiser: You bike is looking really cool, I'm way below what you're doing
Glad you're building one too and we'll see how mine comes out, eventually
I have to look around for those kits, for the next bare bike :lol:
My wife makes jewelry and says there are many patina in that realm
Rockit: I'll have to go back look at your bike again, good idea
Send a link to your sculpture, sounds really cool
It didn't really seem to work on the braze joints so maybe i'll try the strong stuff

Alright Guys, I'm done with responses, now I can do an update
Steve

Re: Jacked Up Pilot, Bluing and Clear pics

So I had some time last night to work on the frame, lots of works
Wanted to get it to the point where I can start trying the bluing
My attempts with the MAPP/O2 where pathetic, oh well...
So I sanded, ground, brushed, scraped, and even filed
I'm kinda impatient so I switch around a lot
Got almost every speck of paint off.
Kept trying to get a brush finish on the nonpitted surface to make it more uniform

Here is the back triangle before and after, a little better
IMG_6384II.jpg

IMG_6386II.jpg

So I thought the tubes looked okay and tried some bluing
IMG_6399II.jpg

Burned off the oil with Propane, dulled a little, naturally
IMG_6398II.jpg

Then used some clear coat and I like it,
IMG_6401III.jpg

My wife said it looks graphite, kinda like her Mazda
IMG_6401II.jpg

But a bit darker than I wanted so I actually took it back off this morning
Found a fiber wheel I liked better and reblued (no clear yet)
If the pictures show any blue color, its' actually not there :?
IMG_6419II.jpg

Still am going to lighten it a little more with some steel wool
My main goal of mellowing the pits seemed to work pretty well

Some guys would kill to have a rough finish, I just keep having to tell myself that :lol:
I'll have to make up a story about this frame because its too much work to do without one
Maybe that it laid in a lake for years, the 1 smooth surface was sticking out of the water :lol:

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Jacked Up Pilot, Bluing and Clear CWC trials

To Blue or not to Blue
That is the question.

Hey Guys, Thanks!
XCruiser: I promise it will be coming together soon along with some (hopefully) helpful hints
Road Master: I like the graphite look too, just different enough but still pretty close to bare metal
Kingfish: I’ll try to stop the Shakespearian drama and say I will blued. Now it's trying to figure out the best way
Critter1: I’ll stop teasing it now :lol: . I wanted to see the effect of the blue on the braze then move forward
Green P1: :lol: Yes sir, I’m moving forward now

This is going to look bad right now but I promise it will look better.
I added/filled in the gaps in the braze and added it to the top tube for a consistant look. I kinda like it all ready.
IMG_6436II.jpg

Now I can grind, file, and/or sand down the braze to make them look better
Then blue the frame and clear coat it.

Found out the bluing got a fine rust on it (?!)
The other blued frame is sitting in the same garage and doesn’t have any on it
Think I’ll have to clear coat it reasonably quickly after I apply the bluing (like the first try)

Found some small parts at a swap meet last weekend
Not sure about the white parts to go with the white Chukker rims (maybe just options)
I think I’ll try to see how the modified car hood ornament would look (Pilot theme)
9Jun12II.jpg

Not much of an update, but I’ve been trying to get my condominium (aka: bachelor pad) on the market.
It’s been sucking up my time, money, and energy lately, but now it’s finally listed :|
I’ve been living at my wife’s house for the last year (since we’ve been married)

Hopefully now I can get moving forward on JUP.
Got a few other things I’ve got to get done simultaneously, like the Eliminators for my wife’s grand Nephew coming to town
Get the Spaceliner ready for our Chicago trip.
But I should get MOAR ( :lol: ) done by the end of next weekend

Thanks for Looking
Steve

Hood ornaments are fun!!!!! 8)

Critter1 said:
Beautiful curves!

I agree! Just look at the way that bike just curves at the back, straight of the top tube. It's so nice! 8)

I agree as well!
There ain't no flexy in that frame, but it is dang sure just about as sexy as Raquel Welch in 1,000,000 BC!!!!!!

Thanks guys for the support. You're right, it does have great curves
Now it needs to get some work done to it :wink:

I had to post a few pictures of the other bike that has to get done sooner
Got the paint done (last week) on my Wife's Eliminator so I took 6 hours straight to assemble it
The rear coaster hub is so loose it's almost unridable?!!!! (bought that way)
Like always, I'll have to go through it and make it work properly
The tire slightly rubs on the chain. Once I fix the sloppy factory hub settings I can see how big of a problem it is
IMG_6528III.jpg

I underestimated my wife's height :oops: :lol:
IMG_6531III.jpg

As far as the build off bike, I picked up some liquid gun bluing (reg and double strength)
Thanks for the tips guys on looking for the liquid :D
Next, I'll make the braze look better, blue it, and clear coat it.

Thanks for looking
Steve

Latest posts

Back