Jackhammer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon

I’m a complete noob to all this and completely in awe of all of you.

About 6 weeks ago I decided I wanted to get back into biking but really didn’t like the cheap MTB I bought about 7 years ago. I wanted to get a few new parts and one thing was a comfy seat (to accommodate my fat ....)

So I started looking online and loads of cruiser pics came up. I followed these and then started looking at Klunkers, frankenbikes & Rat Rods....then I disappeared down the rabbit hole

I had a garage with my old MTB and a couple of old knackered MTB that a friend donated for the kids but never got used.

My ‘budget build’ got more and more expensive as I steadily bought all the tools I didn’t have (but needed) to get the buggers broken down, and then I became obsessed!

I really love the old US frames but here in the UK they are few and far between. Any I found were too dear or had to get imported so I went for an old 80s MTB frame as a base

Long story short...I loved it!

Very grateful I got accepted to the FB group and also the forum.

I still have loads of bits and new ideas. I know I’m late on parade but looking forward to joining in and learning more!

attached are a couple of pics of the first build and the bits I have left that will be the basis for the next!
CFA46F3F-3D48-4166-8496-A14936D8909C.jpeg
59551155-E8DC-44D5-9B89-4470DAA5F3DC.jpeg
4F9511B9-D0F4-43F4-BF98-D78EF4C19FEF.jpeg
89C0777F-B528-464F-A697-002F1048F95B.jpeg
CFA46F3F-3D48-4166-8496-A14936D8909C.jpeg

Afternoon

I’m a complete noob to all this and completely in awe of all of you.

About 6 weeks ago I decided I wanted to get back into biking but really didn’t like the cheap MTB I bought about 7 years ago. I wanted to get a few new parts and one thing was a comfy seat (to accommodate my fat ....)

So I started looking online and loads of cruiser pics came up. I followed these and then started looking at Klunkers, frankenbikes & Rat Rods....then I disappeared down the rabbit hole

I had a garage with my old MTB and a couple of old knackered MTB that a friend donated for the kids but never got used.

My ‘budget build’ got more and more expensive as I steadily bought all the tools I didn’t have (but needed) to get the buggers broken down, and then I became obsessed!

I really love the old US frames but here in the UK they are few and far between. Any I found were too dear or had to get imported so I went for an old 80s MTB frame as a base

Long story short...I loved it!

Very grateful I got accepted to the FB group and also the forum.

I still have loads of bits and new ideas. I know I’m late on parade but looking forward to joining in and learning more!

attached are a couple of pics of the first build and the bits I have left that will be the basis for the next!
View attachment 158971View attachment 158972View attachment 158973View attachment 158974View attachment 158971
Welcome to the madness

Welcome to RRB and the fun of the build off!
Looking forward to seeing what Jackhammer is gonna look like!

Welcome to the fray! It's great fun, and from the looks of it, you have what it takes when it comes to designing rat bikes. Keep the progress photos and updates coming.

RaT oN~!

The green bike looks great. Green bikes are fastest!
If you are interested in American MTBs, and maybe want to find one on the UK, you might want to check out retrobike.uk
They're mad for all the older off road stuff, you might be able to make a local connection. They definitely have the info if you are interested in expanding your obsession to the British stuff as well

Awesome build, great job! Looking forward to your next one...

Did you make your own seatpost?

Last edited:
Thank you very much!
Yep I made the seat post from and old handlebar stem. It didn’t fit inside the frame tube so I put it over a standard seat post and then drilled and bolted it into the tube to keep it place.
I couldn’t find the right layback post for what I wanted so went for that !

Nice! That makes for a cool vintage looking seatpost. I love home made parts. I need to make a quill style seatpost for my girlfriend's bike since it's an odd ball size. Thanks for the inspiration!

Okay.
Day 1
sun was shining today and so made some starter progress on breaking down what I have for parts
14860624-A554-491D-B98D-FF3CB24F28F5.jpeg

Am also working on the side to revamp Son #1 old bmx (he’s now as tall as me) for Son #2. I have strict design preferences from him, but makes sense to work on both together
Looking to use donor bikes to create my build. Today they have all been broken down.
For this build I want to utilise the 24” wheels I have to give a lower ride but will have to work out how to set back from the crank so it’s comfortable.
also want to strip back to to raw metal for the finished bike.
167260AE-0E51-4BE6-991D-D0A9088ED204.jpeg
Thinking of putting 26” wheel on suspension forks but all needs to be stripped and want to grind off the break cantilevers
F4820B0C-3582-45E1-B1B2-362F2F31B2ED.jpeg

Got some other parts I may look at adding to mod the ride position.
A5AD66D4-669A-412D-AF34-C4F97A9F4FBD.jpeg

having a ball!

Sunny Bank Holiday Weekend so I broke out the Nitro Mors (nasty pastie stuff). Every bit of advice I’ve read says don’t use it and just get it sand blasted, but I needed to experience it to realise everyone is right!
After the Zombiefication of the frame
A6B77FBC-7B4C-452A-98DE-3043281DA3C6.jpeg
I’m still sanding now
But I am determined that Jackhammer will be a raw metal bike.
lots of decisions to make but seat and bars I have ordered
Over the weekend I decided against the front suspension forks because
1. I’ve never liked them
2. (Main reason) they seem to be covered in some plastic coating that quite frankly I don’t have the energy or heart to commit to removing ... so they’ve been shelved

Lid is back on the paint stripper and I never want to see it again

next challenge.
I want to put fatter (much fatter) tyres on it. Been doing some research and I know how to widen the chain stays but also need to work out how I can increase the width nearer the seat stays. So reaching out to the hive-mind to see if anyone else has had this issue?
This is a class 1 build and I cannot weld (not because of rules... I just can’t weld) but did purchase an angle grinder which I’ll need at some point
For clarity
Current tyres are 24x1.85 but ideally I want to fit 23 x 3 (I know, but you can dream can’t you).
E8C5DDAA-FFD9-43EA-B14A-CF452B03D9B1.jpeg

I do have a plan to fit a second chain stay as a bracket and to assist in setting back the seat from the MTB crank so perhaps there are option there to support the frame if I grind the bridges and stretch it out?
Pretty sure the frame is steel though
1863FE6E-3F2E-4463-AA4B-ECFDC13F9BEA.jpeg

does anyone have any ideas / advice?
I’ve found a sweet set of 24x3 Creme tyres that will make me very happy. But I won’t buy them if I can’t fit em
My better half is already stressing at me buying more bike stuff so I can’t afford to go for anything I can’t work with
Am I insane or is there a way this could work ?
Ta muchly

Sunny Bank Holiday Weekend so I broke out the Nitro Mors (nasty pastie stuff). Every bit of advice I’ve read says don’t use it and just get it sand blasted, but I needed to experience it to realise everyone is right!
After the Zombiefication of the frame
View attachment 159548I’m still sanding now
But I am determined that Jackhammer will be a raw metal bike.
lots of decisions to make but seat and bars I have ordered
Over the weekend I decided against the front suspension forks because
1. I’ve never liked them
2. (Main reason) they seem to be covered in some plastic coating that quite frankly I don’t have the energy or heart to commit to removing ... so they’ve been shelved

Lid is back on the paint stripper and I never want to see it again

next challenge.
I want to put fatter (much fatter) tyres on it. Been doing some research and I know how to widen the chain stays but also need to work out how I can increase the width nearer the seat stays. So reaching out to the hive-mind to see if anyone else has had this issue?
This is a class 1 build and I cannot weld (not because of rules... I just can’t weld) but did purchase an angle grinder which I’ll need at some point
For clarity
Current tyres are 24x1.85 but ideally I want to fit 23 x 3 (I know, but you can dream can’t you).
View attachment 159546
I do have a plan to fit a second chain stay as a bracket and to assist in setting back the seat from the MTB crank so perhaps there are option there to support the frame if I grind the bridges and stretch it out?
Pretty sure the frame is steel though
View attachment 159547

does anyone have any ideas / advice?
I’ve found a sweet set of 24x3 Creme tyres that will make me very happy. But I won’t buy them if I can’t fit em
My better half is already stressing at me buying more bike stuff so I can’t afford to go for anything I can’t work with
Am I insane or is there a way this could work ?
Ta muchly
That's difficult, if you are on a budget and want to go safe: Keep the original size, measure it and if there's room: Find a size a bit fatter/bigger that will fit.
Or contact a local bike club/bike shop to lend a wheel with the same size. But not every 24x3.0 is the same width.
I like your second stay idea!

On the subject of 24x3 and mtb swingarm or rear triangle - I tried it on two fullies and both times I had to remove material.
The way it can work is if you extend the rear so the tire sits between where the original chain stays were wider so it fits.
The tire width depends quite on the rim width, so preferably not too wide rims. You keep the look and gain a few milimeters on both sides.

Latest posts

Back