Jackhammer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, tires have different profiles. Meaning, some are more squared off, or have lugged side knobs (like the one in your photo) that add to the width of the tire at edge of that lug or 'squared off' point on the tire.
If the cream colored tires are more of a cruiser tire, with a round profile, the tire will have more of a uniform shape with no 'edge'. The width of the rim mostly dictates the height of the tire or 'tallness'. On a wider rim, the tire will be more flattened out and not as tall. On a narrower rim, the tire will have more of a 'light bulb' shape and sit taller off the rim.

Like @toro1978 said above ^, if width is your problem fitting in the stays, then keep a narrower (original) rim, and go for a more rounded profile tire than the square / lugged one that is pictured. Do you have photos of the cream tires you are considering?

That's difficult, if you are on a budget and want to go safe: Keep the original size, measure it and if there's room: Find a size a bit fatter/bigger that will fit.
Or contact a local bike club/bike shop to lend a wheel with the same size. But not every 24x3.0 is the same width.
I like your second stay idea!
Thanks for the advice on this. I’ll admit after a few days I decided not to go too wide on the tyres as it stood to compromise my other ideas for the build.
just arrived today I have 24x2.125 whitewalls which should look chunky enough when finished !
I really like the creme as they reminded me of the 70’s and all the bike bits I wasn’t allowed to have !
(Parents far too sensible)

Also, tires have different profiles. Meaning, some are more squared off, or have lugged side knobs (like the one in your photo) that add to the width of the tire at edge of that lug or 'squared off' point on the tire.
If the cream colored tires are more of a cruiser tire, with a round profile, the tire will have more of a uniform shape with no 'edge'. The width of the rim mostly dictates the height of the tire or 'tallness'. On a wider rim, the tire will be more flattened out and not as tall. On a narrower rim, the tire will have more of a 'light bulb' shape and sit taller off the rim.

Like @toro1978 said above ^, if width is your problem fitting in the stays, then keep a narrower (original) rim, and go for a more rounded profile tire than the square / lugged one that is pictured. Do you have photos of the cream tires you are considering?
Thank you so much for the advice and taking the time to explain it all. I was wondering if the lugs were something that were clouding my judgement on width.
ive a lot of other ideas for the build and in the end decided to bottle out of the creme wide wheels and have got some more conservative white walls but balloon tyres at 2.125
With everything else in the plan I want to keep the rear stays as strong as I can so trying to bend them too far out of shape would compromise the rest of the build (at least I think).
Next in my sleepless imagination I plan to build my own design springer forks...wish me luck!

These are tyres I was looking at
1CB3E647-0334-4E12-BA21-146C39359FB9.png

And these are the ones I eventually plumped for...
305148A8-D140-4CD1-9EE9-4DDFF8259939.png

It’s been a slow couple of weeks for me unfortunately. Summers here and so I have been concentrating on the build for the little one. Nearly done now though and all I need to do is put it all back together.
progress so far is I’ve taken it from this…
3FD90BD2-B184-493C-A629-BC736DDDCEFE.jpeg

to this…. (Which I have affectionately named ‘The Skunk’)….
EC92D817-884A-4B77-9483-2775D6684B74.jpeg
I’ve also been busy still trying get every bit of paint from the Jackhammer frame. Several trips to Toolstation for wire brush figments to try out. Some good, some more aggressive than I need !!
D9E5F4CB-2F62-4ED5-AF56-5B97376D3FF2.jpeg

had to stop at about midday today as i was in the garden and it’s a lovely weekend so didn’t want to spoil it for the neighbours!
White walls arrived and after one exploding inner tube I’m up and running :)
Have been putting parts together to decide the final plan. Want to build springer / girder forks but just realised I can’t use the triple tree stem for the main stem ( too short) so need to get my engineering mojo in gear.
I have two options for the rear stays and so have mocked up both.
anyone reading this, any advice would be great.
One plan is for a sturdy 2 x v brake rear
2A252551-1046-4C60-9C0C-82014B8BAF40.jpeg

the other is to used the pillaged rear to stretch and lower the bike…
82DFD182-5D65-4FF9-964D-26ABB7C5356D.jpeg

0236F3FD-E1C6-41FA-A644-0F7669E8588C.jpeg

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I’m 50/50 at the moment !
PS the seat is non negotiable, I’ve had my eye on that for months and finally building the bike it belongs to :)

Very quick update.
Am going for the stretch idea and have some ideas on how to fix without compromising the original frame.
getting obsessed with cleaning up the steel now!
No springer fork, mock up was too heavy, instead going to look at ratting some rear suspension. Fallen in love with the white walls too!
9E436B6A-2F8F-4208-A3BF-AF96752AC484.jpeg

still needed to to scratch my ‘70’s sneakers’ itch. I found these
6CB5484C-04B6-4C5E-83FB-6E292B90DB28.jpeg

getting so wrapped up in it all, last night I started watching videos on etching bike frames !

Weight should be your last concern. It is going to be heavy anyway. You already have an additional swingarm. Add the rest of the suspension, add the wheels... Then bars, seat, seat post, brakes... Mine feel quite heavy despite having an aluminum frame and a number of aluminum parts mainly because of its rear wheel which is heavy.
Strech looks interesting too. I can't wait to see how this build will continue.

Weight should be your last concern. It is going to be heavy anyway. You already have an additional swingarm. Add the rest of the suspension, add the wheels... Then bars, seat, seat post, brakes... Mine feel quite heavy despite having an aluminum frame and a number of aluminum parts mainly because of its rear wheel which is heavy.
Strech looks interesting too. I can't wait to see how this build will continue.
Yep I guess You’re right, not like I’m planning to race any mountains or enter the Tour De France ! ;)
Challenge I have is that the triple tree is too short (head tube) for the frame.
plane was to use this as the main steer and hang the standard forks but have had to swap
Was looking ad 2 x modified skate trucks for hangers then it got heavy!
2EE206F4-A12C-433E-9A82-D2C33CFEA3EE.jpeg

will take on board your advice and think again!
Guess I still have a couple of months so plenty of time to create!

It’s been a slow few weeks for me. Lots of distraction at work and home but I’ve been ticking away
When I first started I thought the build off target completion was miles away but it’s getting closer and I’m realising I need to kick into gear!
I’ve been round and round on the plan for the forks but hoping this weekend will see that out.
in the meantime I wanted to share some shots of how our garage has become a bike shop, current rebuild and also the ‘almost complete’ Skunk for the littl’un
36AC2D34-0402-4E0C-B70D-AC7C3F108F80.jpeg
BECAB701-FEE2-44F5-94EA-2E3485489E2D.jpeg
F99893A2-FE36-4DFA-9ABB-322F709913DB.jpeg

Just a thought, but could you mount the spring behind the BB, so that all the load goes through that area of the frame, or would it look clumsy?
That’s a good idea. I have another spring spare so I think I’ll take a look at that. Also thinking of seeing if it’s possible to add another crank ring into the second BB to see if I can run a cog between the drive train and the rear hub
been playing around with ideas for a while but I need to commit very soon !

Also thinking of seeing if it’s possible to add another crank ring into the second BB to see if I can run a cog between the drive train and the rear hub
been playing around with ideas for a while but I need to commit very soon !

Now that would be incredibly cool, it opens up all kinds of possibilities for crank ring sizes :13:

Saturday update:
‘Skunk’ done (non competitor - for the bairn)

9E5C1BE9-50E1-4089-A306-E051A37BEC8A.jpeg

‘Jackhammer’ not

Been playing around today with home made springer solution. In theory I think it will work, just need to sort the forks at the bottom and the bracket.
Going to save the triple tree for another occasion :).

DC1B73B9-4AFF-4D84-A556-4F3E2C3CBE0E.jpeg

Starting to feel like I’ve left my assignment til the night before, when I had all term to sort it….

Latest posts

Back