Jackhammer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight off the blocks this morning ! and I have to be honest, I’ve got further than I thought.
Both springs now on and the rear triangle now in place. Had to ‘bend’ some threaded rod I have to get the right angle but it’s hanging together well.
866376D0-FCEA-440C-BF44-35641ACAF67B.jpeg

have bolted the 2 x rears together at the chain stays. Am also thinking of other ways to keep the engineering robust.
I looked to have clearance on the second bottom bracket but not sure it’s enough to fit a second chain wheel. I’ll give it a go but not a deal breaker.
Took the opportunity to do a couple of mock ups to make sure my brain bike is the one I’m building…..and I can report back that it is :)
5928D627-555C-4010-82F2-F1977CB68ADF.jpeg

4827581E-1F00-4883-99F2-493CA9DD66CD.jpeg

this weekend looks like it’s going to our hottest this year (so that will be our ‘summer’) so hung up the tools today to sit and drink beer 🍺!
Back on it tomorrow as I need a bloomin’ tungsten drill to get through the hangers I have for the springer fork..
Have a great weekend everyone 😎

My brain is hurting trying to figure out all of the springage. :D
Super cool longtail going on and I'm digging the direction of the fron springer.

Shadow really came out cool for the kiddo too!
Love the big smile at the end!

Also….
I’ve been obsessing over the bare metal and wanted it to come up all clean, but as it’s gradually rusting a little I’m liking the way it’s forming
View attachment 164935
what do you think?
I’ll give it a quick once over either the wire brush again but may then just leave it so it looks proper DIY…
I'm doing a bare metal Cantilever Schwinn and bare metal seems the way to go for some of the cooler looking go paintless look that seems to be all the rage now. Spot on... Razin...

"It's only bare metal once "...is that how the phrase goes? Haha!
With a 'prototype / one -off' style build like yours, I always dig a bare metal look. Let it rust a bit too, only adds flavor!
Thanks chap. I think that’s what I’m going to go for. May give it a little clear coat to get it through winter but I’m loving the industrial look at the moment 🥴

Thanks chap. I think that’s what I’m going to go for. May give it a little clear coat to get it through winter but I’m loving the industrial look at the moment 🥴
I love the look of bare steel bikes I thought about leaving my build that way after I first mocked it up. Bike is looking good so far. Build on

Starting to get the mock ups further along now. I think I need to build it to prove the concept then break it down for finishing touches.
‘home made’ springer forks in place, but still 50/50 on these (may need to let them grow on me)
Not the actual saddle but I did one mock and the seat is too low (uncomfortable and my @rse was rubbing on the tire.
AFE1DA43-1150-4290-8B37-B577161AE61A.jpeg

So decided to get a layback BMX seat post to try and push it higher and further back. Have to say it’s fitted in better than expected. May take an inch off the stem to make sure it can sit as low as possible over the back wheel.
F9176640-3CBF-478B-B2FB-9D4E5B69B5CE.jpeg

you’ll see I’ve also added some additional rods for support between the main frame and the rear triangle. Also think I need to tighten the springs as it’s quite ‘bouncy’ :)

next step is to see if I ‘can’ set it up so it has a mode rear chain wheel so I can run 2 x chains. One from the crank to the mid, then drop down a gear to connect to the single on the rear wheel.
It’s tight so having to grind what I have til it fits.
AEB042C0-B0CF-4663-A774-C9D47A66F9E6.jpeg

this may not work…..but I really hope it does. Some level 1 engineering headaches may ensue, but if I do fail at least I have a plan B
Hoping the bounce on the rear A won’t give issues with the chain staying true.

I think much of the bouncing would be eliminated if the swingarm had a pivot point and it was attached to the rear triangle. Now it is floating and relies only on the shocks. Usually one shock is stiff enough not to bottom out with the original geometry.
The rods look pretty cool.
Thanks man
I’ve got it attached to the frame using a couple of pivots. Perhaps I need something more robust in the same vein ?
27FCC522-38F8-47CF-8855-61049CDE6C74.jpeg

Or do you mean looking at trying to pivot between the 2 x posts maybe?
304D760D-E56C-42AF-80CF-B91ECA22C4B6.jpeg

Still plenty of options to explore! :)

I would avoid stiffening the springs as I feel you might reach a point where the spring mounts on the main frame distort or break - but what to do as it is a beautiful looking thing! I think it needs a bit more damping and a more robust pivot point.

Are you planning to run both chains on the same or opposite sides of the frame(s)?

And I am with no paint - all this amazing chrome and steel needs to be on display!

I would avoid stiffening the springs as I feel you might reach a point where the spring mounts on the main frame distort or break - but what to do as it is a beautiful looking thing! I think it needs a bit more damping and a more robust pivot point.

Are you planning to run both chains on the same or opposite sides of the frame(s)?

And I am with no paint - all this amazing chrome and steel needs to be on display!
Plan is to have them running on the same side. I have another chain ring from the 21 speed I broke down so thinking of having 2 x on the rear bottom bracket but dropping either up or down a gear to drive the back.

Today was a wire brush day
Took a lot of the frame apart again and gave it one last blast before I gave it a quick clear coat. Anything that ‘grows’ on the frame now will stay.
Toying with the idea of a rear fender so started to strip colour off and old set I have…not finished as I’m not 100 percent I want one.
65ECCF39-15AA-45C8-B532-A6FBCD26CC89.jpeg

I wanted to start adding the Cranks today but then hit a snag in that even though I have ground down the lugs it was still too tight to fit the 2 x chain rings I want.
010CFDCC-0941-443C-87B3-645F9350AE1B.jpeg
So (and thanks to you guys for your device on where to look for this)…I tried a bit of stretching.
686B9A5A-A4D1-4304-87A1-BDFFDD679841.jpeg

Which I think has given me ‘just’ enough room (just)
Then I got bit….and I stopped
2D6609AD-3E7A-46CD-8C1A-7FDBA67D13C8.jpeg

Latest posts

Back