Jackhammer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Saturday today. After a few impromptu engineering adjustments (the free rear triangle helped me greatly) I’ve got both crank wheels on.
No idea yet if I can get the chains to fit properly but think I’ve got a passable chain line. Will be using the second cog on the front chain ring to the first on the second (if that makes any sense).
starting to feel like the end is in sight and looking more like a working bike :)
E0457E00-291C-4809-AC96-8EB29C2802E7.jpeg
D413CA65-2ACB-44E1-94AA-D6D8CA1D3790.jpeg

Sunday. Okay day.
Have chained up the cranks, cleaned the rims and put it all together. Finally I got to ride it.
I need to mod the seat as I want it more sat forward than it is (just a touch) also may need to tinker with the middle crank to stop some ‘chain clash’ I am experiencing. The rear chain is also about 1/2 link too baggy. Not an issue yet but thinking of adding a tensioner (wanted to avoid that) to keep it in check.
Overall though very happy with progress.
90D072C7-2462-487A-889B-FB4A8C563567.jpeg
CAAA19E1-AAE9-4B0B-A5F5-3E1758D5FB65.jpeg
FE362698-DAEC-4312-B7E5-B868DB9D2807.jpeg

Neighbor who helped me fix my car last month came and took a look. Gave me a few pointers and ideas but also had a go on it!
Some serious tweaking to come.
I was hoping to present a ‘cleaner’ bike, but with all the extra mods I may run out of time. Just going to keep it ratty and may even attack the chrome to help it bed in.

96808777-005B-40BB-B9D8-AEB662796216.jpeg

Love the seat but wondering if it’s right for the bike. Have a plan for denim grips to match…
Brakes next with an extra long cable. Hope you all had a good weekend

This is definitely a ‘forward thinking’ build, I dig it.
On the chain, I have found from experience that coaster brake hubs do NOT like working with chain tensioners, I would suggest picking up a half link from your local shop or online to dial in the chain.
Cheers!

Okay. Starting to worry a little now as whilst I have a week off at the end of November…I will be in Scotland….and the bike will not.
A few key decisions this weekend to get this on the home straight.
Thanks to the good Dr and toro1978 I have implemented two solutions to problems I’ve been having.

Half chain link has now solved my baggy chain.
72F1A7C6-DA87-42ED-8D44-1F5B32DC99D4.jpeg

I also set the seat into the original seat post but also managed to get it set on the rear ‘created’ seat tube, by grinding down the little wings on the saddle attachments so I could fit two in there (one up and one for across)
29CFFB24-347E-4380-BB0A-5B9FF246D9C8.jpeg

I had to remove the strut on the layback seat post so I could go lower but I’m not concerned as the rear post gives me back the support I need.
55572A22-1B50-4E79-B301-1DD9A653D6FF.jpeg

also added in my little details on the canti brakes
6C2941BF-37DD-4583-8F81-F4352A8FF1FB.jpeg

I am going to dye the saddle black to keep the ‘black, white & steel’ look across the build.
My springer forks however I have decided to remove. They don’t work. Front wheel is too floppy side to side and on corners the tyre was rubbing. Shame, but it’s important to me the bike can be ridden properly and safely.
it does however help me with another potential issue with have the brakes so far back on the bike.
So I’ll load the brakes on the front wheel which will solve that one for me.
42964428-3BEB-4A9C-A0C4-6CCE11A9D4ED.jpeg

I did have designs on lots of little touches but will see how I get on. I took on more than I expected with parts of the build and trial and error have taken up more time than I expected !

Also took sandpaper to the chrome as it looked too ‘nice’ compared to the rest.
I started out wanting this to be totally DIY ‘punk rock’ and have got a little lost along the way. Impending deadline has focused my mind and I’m going to go for it now…

Glad your working out the kinks, but I hate to bear bad news.
By attaching the two seatposts together between the stationary section and the suspension section, you have now forced the rear end to be rigid. Any flex you get now could cause stationary parts to fatique or break.

1629154166725.png

1629154310672.png

Glad your working out the kinks, but I hate to bear bad news.
By attaching the two seatposts together between the stationary section and the suspension section, you have now forced the rear end to be rigid. Any flex you get now could cause stationary parts to fatique or break.

View attachment 168355

View attachment 168356
Jeez. You’re right Kingfish. Okay I may have a plan F that could put me back on track. Just need to ‘persuade’ them back out again.
Mission on for today after work!
Thanks dude.

Brilliantly cool as long as your butt doesn't bottom out on the sissy bar forks over bumps :D

Welllllllllll, it may send you off to Arkum with two chrome tubes up your butt when your rear suspension sends them through the seat :D :D :D :D

Springs you say......Hmmmmmmm...

73caa3f4bf4bb95d295745c27cd14e93.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back