Jc Higgins Colorflow bike Tank swaped What looks better 7/11

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have a JC Higgins Colorflow I built last year.. Using a Girls colorflow & I bought a Mens Frame ..Plus a few other parts..
Now I found a second Mens ColorFlow .Missing the light the rear rack & the Tank.(Side note Of course I had the correct color rack a few month back & sold it) I like the frame better on this Mens bike so I may change it over :? :?:Or at least hang onto it for now.My questions are below the photos.Any input would be appriciated ..

The mens bike does have a nice seat & JC Higgins script pedals ( Not pictured).. Anyone know who made Higgins pedals Id like to replace the pedal shafts on these, :?:

Then I found the Tank for a Colorflow so now I have no idea how I should proceed .. Im Honestly not a huge Colorflow fan Im a bit tall for colorflow frames & have already built a few of them. So I dont need a second keeper Colorflow. But I want to build the best one I can .. :mrgreen:
My option Questions ?
Girls fenders with skirts of change to the mens & guard ? I like the girls skirts & fenders but ?
Change the frame over or leave it & keep the frame on the side?
Green or white rims ? Im thinking white ..
Green or red leg fork ? Im leaning towards the red..
Green tank I restored or swith to the stock tank & Jewels ? Im on the fence but Im leaning toward switching the tank to stock :? :?:

Feb 25, 2009
Connecticut
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow mess. need advise..

Nice! :D Be happy you have the main part :wink:

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow mess. need advise..

tanksalot said:
I have a JC Higgins Colorflow I built last year.. Using a Girls colorflow & I bought a Mens Frame ..Plus a few other parts..
Now I found a second Mens ColorFlow .Missing the light the rear rack & the Tank.(Side note Of course I had the correct color rack a few month back & sold it) I like the frame better on this Mens bike so I may change it over :? :?:Or at least hang onto it for now.My questions are below the photos.Any input would be appriciated ..

Girls fenders with skirts of change to the mens & guard ? I like the girls skirts & fenders but ?
Change the frame over or leave it & keep the frame on the side?
Green or white rims ? Im thinking white ..
Green or red leg fork ? Im leaning towards the red..
Green tank I restored or swith to the stock tank & Jewels ? Im on the fence but Im leaning toward switching the tank to stock :? :?:
First off, WOW, what a stable and what a problem to have!!!!!!!

I vote for:
- girls fenders and skirts
- keep the best condition frame
- if you go with the girls fenders, then green rims, white rims if you use the boys fenders
- red leg fork
- switch to creme tank

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow bikes mess need bicycle advise..

Ok today I switched the seat .That was a no brainer .
Im on the fence on white or green rims ??? :?:
I switched the Tank .. Witch tank looks better :?: :?: The restored green tank or the correct beige tank. Please Let me know people .. Thanks :D PS if somebody could switch this thread to the build page Id appriciate it. :D Anyone know who made Higgins pedals Id like to replace the pedal shafts on the Higgins script petals I have,
Heres the Beige Tank..

Heres the green tank..

kingfish254

Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I agree with outskirt!!!!!!!
It just ties it all together!!

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I agree ,But That Sea Foam Green tank color was my original plan when I originally built the bike, In all the colors Ive tried to match in my life time , I could not match the tank to that Sea foam green color . . Even a computer match at my paint shop guy looked like crap. That computer match by Outskirts is as close as Ive seen to a close match of sea foam green .. What is the 2nd choice beige cream or The Dark green
outskirtscustoms said:
Personally I think if you painted one of them to match the fenders and skirt guards it'd look amazing.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did a touch up job on a moped a while back that was a very close match to that color same sheen to it and all. I used Dupli-color perfect match. It's a Honda factory color but it matches almost perfectly. Found it at Auto Zone.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
CRASH said:
Another option would be to match the color as close as you can, then repaint ALL the sea-foam parts. I personally think the tank in that color looks the best.
Or an old painter's trick is to fade the other parts in to match by applying a misty coat over them with the new paint and "Blending old into the new" so there is not a definite difference in color.

kingfish254

Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
tanksalot said:
. What is the 2nd choice beige cream or The Dark green
Man, that's tough. I think maybe the dark green by a hair.

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I thought about that at one time .. But The other parts are in such nice original shape. If I leave the tank the cream color the bike is 100% original paint . The green tank was cream at one time it had two holes in it one the size of a dime the other the size of a nickel. The tank was nice & solid otherwise ( Both holes where on the same side of the tank) I fiberglassed the tank inside . Thats the only reason why I painted the tank at that time it was the only tank I could find to work with. I tried like heck to match the Sea Foam green paint .The Sea Foam paint has a wierd mother of pearl hue in it its not a solid color really .. I appriciate all & any feedback I can get .. If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go ? Also any idea of wheel choice ?( Theres a pic of the green wheels in the begining of this thread on the other colorflow ) I also have the option to change the fenders to green ?( but that would look dumb with the Sea Foam rack I believe ? )
CRASH said:
Another option would be to match the color as close as you can, then repaint ALL the sea-foam parts. I personally think the tank in that color looks the best.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
kingfish254 said:
tanksalot said:

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I know this is a pain in the bleep .. I agree the Dark green by a hair . But if its only by a hair then maybe Im better off keeping the cream with the original paint at least I was able to tie it to the seat .. At least then the bike is 100% original paint & patina ..But Im so on the fence usually I always seem to know where I want to go with a project but this is really a tough call. Im saving the other frame because I like the paint a bit better but Im not in the mood to do a frame change yet on a bike that rides great & looks fine as it sits ..Plus I have to many projects & a build off bike in the works ,
outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:
tanksalot said:

Jun 11, 2012
Visalia, CA
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
tanksalot said:
...If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go? Beige tank to match the seat.

Also any idea of rim choice ? Green rims, but brighten up those white walls.

I also have the option to change the fenders to green? Heck no! The sea foam looks the best!

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Thank you for your help.. I totall agree with your fender choice ! The rims Im either way still .But You & Kingfish have said green so I may try them on the bike & see what I think .. I like the way the white rims look but Im getting convinced to at least try the green rims on the bike . :D
CRASH said:
tanksalot said:
...If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go? Beige tank to match the seat.

Also any idea of rim choice ? Green rims, but brighten up those white walls.

I also have the option to change the fenders to green? Heck no! The sea foam looks the best!

May 2, 2011
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ive done that before when parts are not as nice as these are .. Even though that is a great idea The pearl hue on the Sea Foam Green makes me not want to go that route & The risk of messing up the parts is a bit to high for me to risk it on such nice condition parts .. I appriciate the idea though .. Its the Darn pearl hue if your where to see this is person you would see what I mean .
I auctially had two Sea Foam green girls bikes at the same time last year one I sold .The other I made in to the boys bike ..I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE PARTS AROUND TO MAKE ONE AWESOME GIRLS BIKE I HAD MY BUDDY COME OVER TO HELP ME DECIDE WHAT PARTS TO PUT ON ONE BIKE I HAD ONE BIKE STORED IN ONE ROOM & THE OTHER BIKE IN MY OTHER BIKE ROOM I GET BOTH BIKES NEXT TO EACH OTHER I WAS STUNED TO SEE THEY DIDNT EVEN MATCH EACH OTHER ON THE SEA FOAM GREEN PAINT AUGH !!

outskirtscustoms said:
CRASH said:
Or an old painter's trick is to fade the other parts in to match by applying a misty coat over them with the new paint and "Blending old into the new" so there is not a definite difference in color.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The dupli-color perfect match had that same pearl hue to it, I've still got half a can of it, I'll spray some scrap I have laying around and show you what it looks like. I'd say it's a close enough match nobody would know.

The Bike Wall BOXKARS