Jc Higgins Colorflow bike Tank swaped What looks better 7/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have a JC Higgins Colorflow I built last year.. Using a Girls colorflow & I bought a Mens Frame ..Plus a few other parts..
Now I found a second Mens ColorFlow .Missing the light the rear rack & the Tank.(Side note Of course I had the correct color rack a few month back & sold it) I like the frame better on this Mens bike so I may change it over :? :?:Or at least hang onto it for now.My questions are below the photos.Any input would be appriciated ..
DSC02297.jpg

DSC02302.jpg

DSC02304.jpg

The mens bike does have a nice seat & JC Higgins script pedals ( Not pictured).. Anyone know who made Higgins pedals Id like to replace the pedal shafts on these, :?:

Then I found the Tank for a Colorflow so now I have no idea how I should proceed .. Im Honestly not a huge Colorflow fan Im a bit tall for colorflow frames & have already built a few of them. So I dont need a second keeper Colorflow. But I want to build the best one I can .. :mrgreen:
My option Questions ?
Girls fenders with skirts of change to the mens & guard ? I like the girls skirts & fenders but ?
Change the frame over or leave it & keep the frame on the side?
Green or white rims ? Im thinking white ..
Green or red leg fork ? Im leaning towards the red..
Green tank I restored or swith to the stock tank & Jewels ? Im on the fence but Im leaning toward switching the tank to stock :? :?:

Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow mess. need advise..

Nice! :D Be happy you have the main part :wink:

Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow mess. need advise..

tanksalot said:
I have a JC Higgins Colorflow I built last year.. Using a Girls colorflow & I bought a Mens Frame ..Plus a few other parts..
Now I found a second Mens ColorFlow .Missing the light the rear rack & the Tank.(Side note Of course I had the correct color rack a few month back & sold it) I like the frame better on this Mens bike so I may change it over :? :?:Or at least hang onto it for now.My questions are below the photos.Any input would be appriciated ..

Girls fenders with skirts of change to the mens & guard ? I like the girls skirts & fenders but ?
Change the frame over or leave it & keep the frame on the side?
Green or white rims ? Im thinking white ..
Green or red leg fork ? Im leaning towards the red..
Green tank I restored or swith to the stock tank & Jewels ? Im on the fence but Im leaning toward switching the tank to stock :? :?:

First off, WOW, what a stable and what a problem to have!!!!!!!

I vote for:
- girls fenders and skirts
- keep the best condition frame
- if you go with the girls fenders, then green rims, white rims if you use the boys fenders
- red leg fork
- switch to creme tank

Re: 1950 ? Jc Higgins Colorflow bikes mess need bicycle advise..

Ok today I switched the seat .That was a no brainer .
Im on the fence on white or green rims ??? :?:
I switched the Tank .. Witch tank looks better :?: :?: The restored green tank or the correct beige tank. Please Let me know people .. Thanks :D PS if somebody could switch this thread to the build page Id appriciate it. :D Anyone know who made Higgins pedals Id like to replace the pedal shafts on the Higgins script petals I have,
Heres the Beige Tank..
DSC02613.jpg

DSC02615.jpg

Heres the green tank..
0065.jpg

0072.jpg

I agree with outskirt!!!!!!!
It just ties it all together!!

I agree ,But That Sea Foam Green tank color was my original plan when I originally built the bike, In all the colors Ive tried to match in my life time , I could not match the tank to that Sea foam green color . . Even a computer match at my paint shop guy looked like crap. That computer match by Outskirts is as close as Ive seen to a close match of sea foam green .. What is the 2nd choice beige cream or The Dark green
outskirtscustoms said:
Personally I think if you painted one of them to match the fenders and skirt guards it'd look amazing.
DSC02613.jpg

I did a touch up job on a moped a while back that was a very close match to that color same sheen to it and all. I used Dupli-color perfect match. It's a Honda factory color but it matches almost perfectly. Found it at Auto Zone.

CRASH said:
Another option would be to match the color as close as you can, then repaint ALL the sea-foam parts. I personally think the tank in that color looks the best.

Or an old painter's trick is to fade the other parts in to match by applying a misty coat over them with the new paint and "Blending old into the new" so there is not a definite difference in color.

tanksalot said:
. What is the 2nd choice beige cream or The Dark green

Man, that's tough. I think maybe the dark green by a hair.

I thought about that at one time .. But The other parts are in such nice original shape. If I leave the tank the cream color the bike is 100% original paint . The green tank was cream at one time it had two holes in it one the size of a dime the other the size of a nickel. The tank was nice & solid otherwise ( Both holes where on the same side of the tank) I fiberglassed the tank inside . Thats the only reason why I painted the tank at that time it was the only tank I could find to work with. I tried like heck to match the Sea Foam green paint .The Sea Foam paint has a wierd mother of pearl hue in it its not a solid color really .. I appriciate all & any feedback I can get .. If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go ? Also any idea of wheel choice ?( Theres a pic of the green wheels in the begining of this thread on the other colorflow ) I also have the option to change the fenders to green ?( but that would look dumb with the Sea Foam rack I believe ? )
CRASH said:
Another option would be to match the color as close as you can, then repaint ALL the sea-foam parts. I personally think the tank in that color looks the best.

kingfish254 said:
tanksalot said:

I know this is a pain in the bleep .. I agree the Dark green by a hair . But if its only by a hair then maybe Im better off keeping the cream with the original paint at least I was able to tie it to the seat .. At least then the bike is 100% original paint & patina ..But Im so on the fence usually I always seem to know where I want to go with a project but this is really a tough call. Im saving the other frame because I like the paint a bit better but Im not in the mood to do a frame change yet on a bike that rides great & looks fine as it sits ..Plus I have to many projects & a build off bike in the works ,
outskirtscustoms said:
kingfish254 said:
tanksalot said:

tanksalot said:
...If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go? Beige tank to match the seat.

Also any idea of rim choice ? Green rims, but brighten up those white walls.

I also have the option to change the fenders to green? Heck no! The sea foam looks the best!

Thank you for your help.. I totall agree with your fender choice ! The rims Im either way still .But You & Kingfish have said green so I may try them on the bike & see what I think .. I like the way the white rims look but Im getting convinced to at least try the green rims on the bike . :D
CRASH said:
tanksalot said:
...If im stuck making a choice with what I have what tank is the best way to go? Beige tank to match the seat.

Also any idea of rim choice ? Green rims, but brighten up those white walls.

I also have the option to change the fenders to green? Heck no! The sea foam looks the best!

Ive done that before when parts are not as nice as these are .. Even though that is a great idea The pearl hue on the Sea Foam Green makes me not want to go that route & The risk of messing up the parts is a bit to high for me to risk it on such nice condition parts .. I appriciate the idea though .. Its the Darn pearl hue if your where to see this is person you would see what I mean .
I auctially had two Sea Foam green girls bikes at the same time last year one I sold .The other I made in to the boys bike ..I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE PARTS AROUND TO MAKE ONE AWESOME GIRLS BIKE I HAD MY BUDDY COME OVER TO HELP ME DECIDE WHAT PARTS TO PUT ON ONE BIKE I HAD ONE BIKE STORED IN ONE ROOM & THE OTHER BIKE IN MY OTHER BIKE ROOM I GET BOTH BIKES NEXT TO EACH OTHER I WAS STUNED TO SEE THEY DIDNT EVEN MATCH EACH OTHER ON THE SEA FOAM GREEN PAINT AUGH !!
0021.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
CRASH said:

Or an old painter's trick is to fade the other parts in to match by applying a misty coat over them with the new paint and "Blending old into the new" so there is not a definite difference in color.

The dupli-color perfect match had that same pearl hue to it, I've still got half a can of it, I'll spray some scrap I have laying around and show you what it looks like. I'd say it's a close enough match nobody would know.

Latest posts

Back