Jessie James ( JJ )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand about wanting to keep the branded parts on the final product, unfortunely this one was already missing the front tire and seat, plus the Jessie James decals had already worn off the chain guard too. Once done the only original items on this when it’s done will be the frame and fork.

I understand about wanting to keep the branded parts on the final product, unfortunely this one was already missing the front tire and seat, plus the Jessie James decals had already worn off the chain guard too. Once done the only original items on this when it’s done will be the frame and fork.

No dummy tank? No iron cross cog? Blasphemy.

Oh, the tank will stay! Not sure about the crank sprocket… depends on the paint scheme I go with. I’m leaning towards one right now that will leave the Maltese Cross out of place….maybe I’ll just leave what’s left of the paint on it and keep the sprocket too….I really don’t know.

There doesn't seem to be as many of these as there are the OCC Stingrays, at least around here anyways. I've owned several OCC's but this is the only one of these I've had.
Most of the build is in my head and the parts have been ordered, but I'm thinking I may just leave the paint alone for now because I'm not sure which paint scheme I want on it. Anyhow, I should get a little done on it Friday ( weather permitting! ) and post the progress.
Iv'e had three of these bikes and still have two, one's a chrome frame and a black frame with ape bars and an Occ seat. the chrome ones pretty much stock ,but i got both of them on the cheap, so i can't wait to see what you do with yours for some idea's for mine... Thanks for sharing and good luck... Razin...

A 3” wide 24” tire won’t fit on the rear of these frames without the use of an adapter plate, so I asked a buddy of mine to help me out and this is what we came up with. View attachment 164879 Problem solved!View attachment 164880
Would your Buddy be willing to do a couple more pair for my project bikes? I could make it worth his while if interested, Please let me know.. Thanks and good luck with you build off bike... RaToN.... Razin...

Got back on JJ the other day. These bikes have that same oversized seat stem as the OCC choppers. To be able to use a standard seat I cut the seat post out of this junk frame that has an outside diameter of 1 inch. Then I went to Lowe’s and bought a short piece of 1 inch black pipe and slid the seat post into it. I used JB Weld to bond the two together because I was afraid that if I welded it, the heat would distort the tube and then the seat stem would bind up. Then I ran into the issue where the black pipe has a larger outside diameter than what I thought! I assumed it had a 1/8th inch wall thickness which would allow it to fit perfectly into the frame…WRONG! It need to be turned down, so back to the lathe where we made it fit the frame perfectly! Next I need a 3/4 inch seat stem to fit into this homemade “adapter”. I had this old set of motorcycle handle bars that weren’t any good, so I cut one side off keeping the bend that was next to where the hand grip would go and vola I have a laid back seat post! (Do NOT try this with bicycle handle bars! Motorcycle handle bars are twice the thickness of bicycle handle bars so I’m not afraid of my 240 lb butt bending or breaking them) just saying….
30C96D84-F7BD-418E-932E-DEAA9BE6AF87.jpeg
F2D1602C-5765-47C3-B79A-529A965750E4.jpeg
0B317CF3-02E3-4080-821D-1BBD172E6F92.jpeg
E59BD821-C778-4FC1-B37A-F478A144D2D7.jpeg

I dug though my model car paints and found a pretty close match to the original paint on JJ, so I shot a coat on the raw steel and will reassemble everything tomorrow and post another pic!

The wheelset looks great on there.
I like the bolt on dropout extensions, but I would strongly suggest that you get some stronger bolts and washers to bolt it all together.

The wheelset looks great on there.
I like the bolt on dropout extensions, but I would strongly suggest that you get some stronger bolts and washers to bolt it all together.
Thank you. I really do appreciate your concern. The brackets are keyed tightly into the original dropouts and are held in place by 2 8mm stainless button head screws with zero sheer pressure on them. I can assure you they aren’t going to fail. 😉

Thank you. I really do appreciate your concern. The brackets are keyed tightly into the original dropouts and are held in place by 2 8mm stainless button head screws with zero sheer pressure on them. I can assure you they aren’t going to fail. 😉

I totally missed the fact that they had the raised key in the dropout. Very nice. It still seems like wider washers would be better. Looking close, it doesn't look like the washers have much material to grab on the frame dropouts. Great extension piece!

B0ECA340-D1FE-4F69-B7A1-6398ADF727BB.jpeg
Even if he can't tool more of them, could we get the measurements? Doesn't seem too intricate. What type and thickness of steel did he use?
Making more sets isn’t an issue. They will be $100.00 per set shipped and can be made to whatever size you’d like. I would suggest that you take an accurate measurement (with calipers or gauge pins) of the drop out slot so these can be made to fit tightly. If you look closely at the first two pictures I took of them you can see they aren’t really flat, but have a raised “key” that is in line with the slots that fit into the frames original dropouts.
I will take some measurements and post them when I take it apart for painting.

Here are pictures of the brackets I am using in the rear dropouts with the dimensions.

Attachments

• C87BF4AC-46AB-4D4A-A3D6-66B6E5E33C6A.jpeg
    C87BF4AC-46AB-4D4A-A3D6-66B6E5E33C6A.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 74460FCD-F724-48D2-934C-E45F772A553E.jpeg
    74460FCD-F724-48D2-934C-E45F772A553E.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 47
  • B0EF8BC3-2469-40B2-BF48-EAEFAB1917C6.jpeg
    B0EF8BC3-2469-40B2-BF48-EAEFAB1917C6.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 09D1C354-D30E-4634-A158-2BC088DC556C.jpeg
    09D1C354-D30E-4634-A158-2BC088DC556C.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 50
  • C28119BD-7C10-4046-BB08-8F1458C52EA0.jpeg
    C28119BD-7C10-4046-BB08-8F1458C52EA0.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 38
The only critical dimension is the raised portion that fit into the original dropouts. These measure .403” and fit snuggly into my frame. The rest don’t matter as much. Overall they’re a little over 4 inches in length and 2 inches tall. The slot for the rear axle matches the width of the raised part and is of the proper length to get the chain on and off the rear sprocket when taking the wheel on and off.

Latest posts

Back