Jungle Bike Becomes Bali Street Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jungle Bike Becomes Bali Street Bomber
After oil and air as per Swiss Guy.jpg

This bike was found at a friend’s house in the jungle in Bali. It was wrapped in tiny vines and was a rusty, crusty mess; complete with a wasp nest under the saddle and other things growing on it. It had been there for some years.

I took it and got it cleaned up, oiled and aired up, and it ran ok, but I never got it into decent shape.

I let it sit after I found a better ride.

Then I fell in love with rust.
Bike Porridge.JPG

I made bike porridge using local star fruit vinegar mixed with tapioca starch to strip the paint and get it down to bare steel. Then I used and instant rust concoction using the same vinegar and salt to get a nice crusty patina.
Instant Rust Am.JPG

Then I put on 5 coats of boiled linseed oil to seal the deal.
IMG_2204.JPG

I mocked it up when I ran out of money and was bored.
IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

Finally I got it all together and added some cheapo plastic fenders because we are going into the rainy season and with La Nina here in Bali it is no joke! Steel fenders will follow in the dry season and will be subjected to similar abuse to get the rusty look I want.
IMG_2284.JPG

Front and rear racks and panniers will be added when cash flow allows.

I have some front and rear lights that i will mount and share.

I know this bike is a really simple setup but I am so happy with it.

It is light and very fast, and really deals with what hills we have here.

This forum has been so helpful to me in this project.

Cheers to all!
IMG_2285.JPG

Haha! A little of both learning to go fast and really watching my speed.
People here, especially motorcyclists (of which there are swarms of) tend to see bicycles as stationary objects; meaning getting cut off at high speeds is an everyday occurrence. Out of the more urban area that we live on the edge of, things are much better aside from produce trucks crowding the narrow roads! Beats the heck out of other places I've lived filled with tourist buses or being a place you just wouldn't want to ride.

It's a jungle out there, not just in Bali. Even houses gotta keep their heads up. This is the action on the end of my street from Saturday night. 10pm, but there were still kids out there in the street in scooters
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

No, I don't have a dog with a pink coat. That's just another gawker

Latest posts

Back