Junior Oozing With Patina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know patina is the IN thing, but that is just too sad.....What are your plans for it? At the price I would have grabbed it too, but what to do with the remains? Strip and restore? Derust the chrome and oil it?

Some green scotchbrite pads, some warm, soapy water and some time spent gently scrubbing and you'd be surprised how well you could turn that frame around. I'll guarantee there's some nice paint beneath the rust if you take your time getting to it. Certainly worth a look before stripping it. That chrome may be a different story. 0000 steel wool and chrome polish and hope for the best. Nice wintertime project!

I've heard about an oxalic acid bath for the frame......and I agree it would come out OK but I also agree on the chrome. One could get all aftermarket chrome parts for it or better used ones, I suppose. That genset is toast, I am afraid.

I have an OCC SChwinn Stingray in similar shape I bought new, thata bad roof in my storage area killed. It is sad just how bad the newer chrome is, when it is as old as this Stingray it won't even exist.

Going to try and do the Winter time clean up to it and "hope for the best". Anxious to see what is hiding under the mess. Believe it or not the generator does still spin. Will see if it can be saved. Ya never know.

A few spokes broken on the rear wheel. Not sure whether to try and repair or try and find a replacement with similar aging. S7???

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that poor thing.

My thought exactly, before I saw your post. Man it looks like it sat under a rain gutter that was stopped up for 20 years. Good luck with the clean-up. :wink:

No better bike than a Schwinn to be stuck under a clogged gutter. I recently rebuilt a Breeze that was lawn art for 10+ years. It doesn't look great, but it rides fine.

oldfart36 said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that poor thing.

My thought exactly, before I saw your post. Man it looks like it sat under a rain gutter that was stopped up for 20 years. Good luck with the clean-up. :wink:

Latest posts

Back