Junk build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My wife brought home a junk bike, and I didn't have anything to do with it. I just have to rebuild it for her. But this is very good. She knows all the places (junk shops) but never has seen the need to visit any of them like I do. She travels around the area a lot with the organizations we support. So this is good. I showed her what types of frames I want so she can grab one anytime she might see one. What will she come home with next? Columbia from the 50's? Late 40's CWC? 39 Schwinn? I said she should get them even if they look damaged. The older American frames for sale here are way overpriced, 200-300 bucks for a bare frame. There's a rusted through Schwinn beyond repair for 75 bucks.
This was a 20" Ladies Bike as they call them here. Made in Japan or a Chinese copy. It's the most common among folks who use a bike as transportation. I have enough parts to make it look nice, maybe keep the original red paint.
At the junk shop they can't figure out what anyone wants with junk. When she asked how much, they check to see how crazy she is and ask a high price. Then there's some loud bartering and she still pays way more than what it's worth, but 8 dollars is ok, and they celebrate their instant cash at the junk shop. Beer tonight!:113: This is just the type frame I was looking for to put together a bike for her. Her 20" Ferrari in Hawaii was her favorite bike.
marinoni 20 Jun 22 a.jpg

marinoni 20 Jun 22.jpg

It was going along pretty good until I got to the forks. The stem is stuck, I used a solid 5/8ths rod to hammer on it, then cut the stem off to get the forks off. It still won't budge, so It's getting a chrome BMX fork along with the chrome handlebars I already have. The wheels are heavy duty with 11 gauge spokes. Freewheel, either 16 or 18 tooth cog with a alloy 47 tooth chain wheel. New red tires are on order too.
21 Jun layout.jpg

22 Jun rusty forks.jpg

New tires already!
23 Jun new tires.jpg

And I have the new chrome headset, but it wasn't in a box when it showed up, just a plastic bag. The washer was missing, but I can work without it. Someone needed a washer and pilfered it then sold the rest to me. They threw in a Blues sticker as compensation.
headset.jpg

New tires already!
View attachment 197936
And I have the new chrome headset, but it wasn't in a box when it showed up, just a plastic bag. The washer was missing, but I can work without it. Someone needed a washer and pilfered it then sold the rest to me. They threw in a Blues sticker as compensation.
View attachment 197934
I've only been to one hockey game in my life, at the end of boot camp up in Great Lakes. 1981. The Blackhawks and the Blues. It was great!

Name change to Tiger Lily. It's the second bike to be redone as a playbike. It will probably see some riding time, unlike the old version that just hung on the wall. It's painted and the seat covered. Apes and everything are ready to go.

25 Feb 23 Tiger - Copy.jpg

26 Feb 23 paint.jpg

26 Feb 23 stripes.jpg

330774123_510917014528713_5339266935269306068_n.jpg

Too bad those vintage grips are so ex$pen$ive. I typed in marbled orange and black bicycle grips and these were some of the modern alternatives came up. Really liking your build.
alternatives came up.
81k8zT6EMjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
oep5900815_4f92ed1faad4ed57d4a0ce85eab7b5ecb372ed22.jpg

Last edited:
I figured you just had a pair stashed away in some drawer or something! :)
With most everything copied in China, I hoped I could get an imitation of them over here easily. I have the faux Araya and Mavic rims, but no tiger grips.

The rear whitewall won't clean up but I'd like to find a wide rear whitewall. The kickstand is for that style frame with rear facing flat dropouts, but for a 26" bike. I may get the right size stand if the price is right.

331805009_144923105137940_3670168413109633585_n - Copy.jpg

The rear whitewall won't clean up but I'd like to find a wide rear whitewall. The kickstand is for that style frame with rear facing flat dropouts, but for a 26" bike. I may get the right size stand if the price is right.

View attachment 225604
I actually didn’t notice the rear white wall until you pointed it out!

bike looks awesome!

The chrome on the heavy spoked rims was bad and rusted right away, and the bike was too heavy. The riders complained about the banana seat, so it also got a standard seat. Also got two new rims just laced up.
430829333_7281063101977935_8093953805524257031_n.jpg

A knobby rear tire and it just is waiting for the new crankset and now there's another bike ready for a shorter person. The sister in law can go riding with us. My wife says she isn't short, she's 5' tall, her sister is the short one at 4' 11". I tell her she's 4' 12", not five feet!:rofl:

I went through all my cranksets, and this one with 47 teeth with a 16 cog, 60 gear inches should be just about right. I had just enough gold chain leftover from the Lazyboy build.

It's ready to ride.
433200110_357851399909042_8237311324536274663_n.jpg

I run a 48/16 on my LaJolla and Olympic, single speeds, and both of them move pretty good, so a 47/16 shouldn't be too far off. If it's called the Tiger Lilly, maybe add some flower stuff to it, like grips, chain gaurd, and badge?

Latest posts

Back