Junker - parts bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assembled from an Iverson 10 speed frame and forks I've been saving for years. This is a Junker because the frame and forks are the only parts that are from 1 bike. Started putting parts in a box that I thought might work and when I found a Sturmey 3 speed coaster brake, things started coming together. It took 3 attempts to find the correct length spokes to get a cross 4 pattern on the Sturmey, but in the end it came out perfect. The wheels are Araya alloy, random front hub, nice whitewall tires tires came with a Rollfast I recently bought.

The forks are just wide enough for the tires but had to spread the rear stays to fit the 2.125 tires. You can just make out the spreading and rewelding of the brackets in that above photo. I checked the alignment of the frame -BUT, did not think to check the dropouts for being even. I painted the frame but ended up with wheel sitting close to the seat stay, although centered in the chainstays.

At this point I called for help on the Bike Talk forum and got some answers right away from Wildcat and RustyGold. Disassembled the frame and clamped the bottom bracket in the vise, inserted a tire iron across the dropouts and jumped up and down on the tire iron. Got it to move and then rechecked the alignment - good.
I wanted to use this sprocket with a chainring style chainguard but couldn't find one with 5 spokes. So I found this sprocket with 5 spokes and took it to the belt snder, which removed the pointy teeth rather quickly. Some drilling and silver paint and it's perfect.

Fitted a nice light alloy kickstand.

The 3 speed trigger black plastic with no nameplate, black cable and black grantourismo grips.

Found a nice cable stop but it was too large so I fitted a rubber strip under it.

This neat metal cable roller was on a clip that was too small so I swapped onto this clip.

And the piece de resistance... The Iverson had no headbadge, so I searched ebay and found this badge - perfect for a Junker - Juncker! This is a repro badge from Malaysia, shipped very well, fast, professonal.
Here I am using a piece of pipe, making sure the curve matches the Iverson headstock perfectly.

First test ride photos and ride results...

I didn't think real hard about this bike, other than wanting a 3 speed (I definitely have a thing for 3-speeds). But somehow it all came together really well. The bike rides VERY nicely, tracks and handles well. It's relatively light, and is able to go much faster than my regular ride, the Ashtabula. It is sort of purpose built for riding the Canal Trail and it really works great. I'm very pleased with this "piece of junk".
Al

It came out great!:113:

I noticed the fork has a slight bend forward. I would check it for cracks near the crown where the lower set of headset bearings ride. It's a safety issue. It might be just as easy to find another fork. Once metal is bent then bent back, it is prone to cracking or breaking. That spot on the bike takes a lot of stress. Usuaully if it's bent forward means it was bent rearward then corrected.
A springer would look good on there too.

Nice, came out clean. I love 3 speeds too.

Hey what brand/color did you use for paint? I recently bought a Rustoleum dark gray wondering if that’s the color you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat, I didn't bend or straighten the forks. I looked at em and thought they were good. I'll re-check.
Chuy, This is a list of what I bought new for the bike:
(As stated earlier, the tires were purchased used with another bike frame)
Rim strips
Inner tubes
Primer
Paint
The primer and paint were purchased at Real Deals $1 store - so the paint cost $2 white primer and the generic gray paint is Majic - the brand that Tractor Supply used to sell.

Another shakedown run, which proved helpful - the cable relaxed or stretched and I had to get the tools out and tighten the cable. Later I had to fine tune the adjustment. Good thing I brought tools with me.
The CSX rails run parallel to the canal and at a road intersection I heard a train coming...

I love it! I have a thing for fat tires on a diamond frame!

I’m a fan of 3 speeds as well!

I wasn't sure at all about the frame - but it turned out great. It started life as an Iverson Grand Sport 10 (10 speed). A real ho-hum 10 speed. No head badge - just 70's cool graphics stickers.
I like it so much I put on a Brooks B-66 leather saddle, replacing the rock hard Huffy seat.

Latest posts

Back