Jupiter - The Flying Finn - COMPLETED!! july 30th

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
JUPITER - THE FLYING FINN
fflag.jpg

Hello everyone. Although I'm still pretty new here i feel comfortable enough to enter this cool build off for fun. So far, the entries are interesting to say the least and i'm looking forward for the outcome of this. Also, thanks to all who who spent their time to read my first post at the intro section!

Keeping journals and documenting my builds from the beginning to end is something i already do anyway, so it's only logical this will be cool possibility not only to to get the bike done but also to share the process as it goes. For this entry i am using a vintage finnish Jupiter brand muscle/youth bike from the late 60's to early 70's. I am unsure of the specific year and hoping to find out about it one of these days. I scored the bike locally a couple months ago and was stoked to say the least.

Jupiter was a popular and well known finnish moped and bicycle brand which also played an important part in the national folklore. The Jupiter bicycle frames were manufactured in norway, apparently by Öglaend and were then imported to Finland for the assembly. Originally the assembly took place in Helsinki but in 1960 the facilities moved to Messukylä, near city of Tampere at S.O.K.'s (Finnish co-op trading group's) assembling facilites. The last group of Jupiter bikes left the S.O.K. assembly line in 1984 ending the story of well beloved finnish bicycle brand.

However, in 2007 the Jupiter brand was resurrected again with a focus on affordable children and youth bikes now that "retro" is considered "cool" at any cost. The only thing that connects them with the original Jupiter is the name.

Here's the bike as i got it.
MXrhelsinki.jpg

I pretty sure someone will say it is good "as is" but i won't settle with it. Although at first, i thought exactly same but then the overly ambitious side of me took control. It is apparent that the bike has been built by some of the bike's previous owners who has used a variety of components from different bikes, there is just way too much variety in colour (that is, underneath all that black paint) and such parts that don't belong in this bike. Chopped rear fender, mismatch fork etc. Nevertheless, i am using most of them but the overall style and colour will will be improved. I have my building roots in BMX so you can expect something in that vein. Guess this project is a strange mix of restoration and customizing yet keeping the overall "feel" with few improvements.
So where does the "Flying Finn" theme fit in? Well since this is a finnish bike and brand with respectable history i started thinking if there is any great finnish sports legends on two wheels? The first person that came to mind was ofcourse the finnish motorbike legend Jarno Saarinen who died at Monza track 36 years ago to date next wednesday, on may 20th 1973 which was the year i was born. Also, a long time good friend of mine thru BMX circuits has been a great inspiration for me throughout the years so part of this bike will be dedicated to him aswell. This is for you too Säm.

Recap of the story so far...

THE SEAT
The most recent part i finished was the original banana or "Rodeo" seat, whichever term one prefers, so i'll start with that. It was brutally spray bombed with black at some point. To be honest i didn't realize that until i removed the duct tape that was used to patch the nose of the seat. The original colour of the seat is blue and the vinyl had numerous cuts, rips and tears. It was a lot of work but totally worth it.

Jupitersatula-resto1.jpg

As it was after i had just tried some paint remover on it. I was stoked to find out the seat is actually blue!

Jupitersatula-resto2.jpg

Applied some more paint remover.

Jupitersatula-resto3.jpg

The seat completely disassembled. At this point i took a deep breath and thought, man.. this is going to take forever. Notice the plastic bag used as a hood to slide the vinyl on. Ultimately i saved it and left it there. I thought well the plastic bag's been sitting there for the past 35 something years, there is no reason to replace it.

Jupitersatula-resto4.jpg

The foam was in pretty rough shape but otherwise still fully useable.

Jupitersatula-resto5.jpg

Foam washed and repaired. Feeling fressshhh like Janina!

Jupitersatula-resto6.jpg

The metal frame and the foam, ready to glue it on. Added the blue strip so that the foam doesn't peek thru the holes in the metal frame. As you can see in the previous photos the metal frame was in bad shape. Rust, paint and grease. Took me a while to get it even as nice as it is. I was tempted to paint it silver for protection though but a layer or two of wax will do.

Jupitersatula-resto7.jpg

The nose had been damaged and this my cure. I was almost giving up on looking for the right shade of blue until i found this piece of nylon reinforced vinyl at the dry docks. It has different texture than the seat but what the heck, it was close enough.

Jupitersatula-resto11.jpg

While i waited for the glue to dry i cleaned up and the sissy bar of silver pray paint and polished it.

Jupitersatula-resto10.jpg

Elbow grease and metal polish. The chrome is pretty much gone and rust has done its damage but it polished up nice enough.

Jupitersatula-resto9.jpg

Too bad these go way up into to the sissy bar so that only the bottom is showing (which is in worst condition).

Jupitersatula-resto8.jpg

Then it was time to put on the repaired vinyl cover. The blow dryer came in handy as the vinyl had shrunk a bit since last time it was on. Everything went smooth and i used the original bolts and lot of glue.

Jupitersatula-resto12.jpg

And finally, after so much work, one of the most distinctive parts of this bike is done!

For the moment, everything has been disassembled for cleanup, polish etc. The frame will be painted soon, meanwhile the rims have been stripped and repainted waiting for pinstripes of some sort and some colour, which, i haven't decided yet. The czech Favorit coaster brake hub has been dismantled, re-greased and show polished and so are the pedals, 46T sprocket and cranks.

THE BARS
The bars were pretty beaten complete with regular stem and original german made grips i am yet to identify. The stem had been welded on to the bars by previous owner due to obvious problems with clamping power to get the bars to stay put in one position. The bars aslo had great amount of flex which was unacceptable. I also wanted to add some "BMX" to them so i decided to make some bolt-on crossbars out of a folding rack i found in a dumpster. I made several one, straight and v-shape. And, not just a single crossbar but two! I took measurements, cut the tubes, flattened the ends and drilled holes accordingly. So now i have a "motofied" version of the stock apehangers which flexed way too much anyway and instead of a single crossbar, there's dual crossbars! I am really happy with the result and will be even happier once the numberplate is done.

Rack.jpg

The material.

Stonga.jpg

Here pondering with different ideas and shapes.

dualv-crossbars.jpg

Experimenting with different tubing and angles.

Jupiter002copy.jpg

Done. Decided to go with slightly thicker tubing and less bend.

PARTS ROUND 1

Runkojll21012009006.jpg

The frame.

Jupitermerkki030320095copy.jpg

The vintage brass headbadge.

1027copy.jpg

The rear fender needs work.

03002copy.jpg

Halfway done with the fork, waiting for paint.

Jupiter005copy.jpg

The czech Favorit coaster hub with a new old cog and lockring.

Jupiter018copy.jpg

The chainguard, presumably for the 50's or 60's all polished up and ready to go.

This is it for now, we're far from "done" this is just the beginning so stay tuned!
I will keep you posted.

vajalla21012009002.jpg

Thanks,
-Timo

Re: Jupiter - The Flying Finn

deorman said:
Nice salvage work. Do you folks in Finland have ice racing?

Ha, definitely. Finn's are the best drivers in the world.

cool start, nice job on saving the seat. good documentation also, keep it up it looks to be interesting.

deorman said:
hotfoot said:
deorman said:
Ha, definitely. Finn's are the best drivers in the world.

Thanks! I don't know much about ice racing but we certainly have it here.

Graylock said:
Exellent build. Hope you can ride it in warmer weather :shock: . BRRRRRRRRRR.........
GL

Ha ha! Yeah, those pictures were taken a few months ago while it was still full winter. Not it's a lot nicer now, don't worry.

karfer67 said:
gotta have ice tires
Speaking of ice tires, i wish i'd find another like the rear tire which is an old Nokia Speed-Hakkapeliitta and they came studded aswell. Up fornt there's a Nokia Leijona tire with slightly different tread form same era. Fortunately they both are in decent shape for their age.

jon said:
cool start, nice job on saving the seat. good documentation also, keep it up it looks to be interesting.
N8NBOX said:
amazing work so far...wish I was a little more handy with foam and fabrics :(. Love the pictures and documentation...very impressed :)
Thanks! I will keep you posted!

Jupiter012copy.jpg

Here's a close up of the old logo on the tires. A little dry rotted but they hold fine, now all cleaned up and sprayed with a layer of silicone for the years to come.

Jupiter006copy.jpg

The rear rim with fresh paint, waiting for stripes.

-Timo

very nice job and re save. this will be fun to see what ya do with it.

Outlaw

Time for an update on this. wow, time flies... sorry for not keeping up with this as much as i would've liked to. But no worries, the project is on and doing great. In fact, almost completed.

Let's talk about the frame first in this post. Stripping the old paint including previous owner's rattle can job and original factory colour, metallic/candy blue took a while. The original paint was sitting tough and at some point i was hoping to save it but it turned out to be long gone so i had no chance to save it.
Since the overall "theme" had already been chosen to be black i decided to stick with it but do it better and add that vintage style this frame/bike truly deserves. Here's a few photos along the way.

Jupiterstrip005.jpg

Here we are stripping the old paint. Bit by bit. The most effective method was to use paint stripper and steel wool simultaneously to get every remaining chip of paint off. This was quite a mess as you can see.

Jupiterstrip6-6-200910.jpg

During the paint removal i founf traces of the original graphics and lines, sadly there was no way of saving them but to take photos and measurements for any future use there might be.

Jupiterstrip6-6-200913.jpg

The original headtube decal/graphics were obviously destroyed aswell. Here taking measurements and 1:1 shape for my archives should i need it one day.

Jupiterstrip6-6-20094.jpg

Halfway thru, the old paint meets fresh steel.

Jupiterstrip6-6-20093.jpg

Top view.

Jupiterstrip6-6-20096.jpg

The bottom bracket and the last remains of the original colour. Downtube not done yet.

JUPITERRESTO002.jpg

At this point i made marks for the new rivet holes for the headtube badge that wouldn't fit into the old ones (different model).

JUPITERRESTO001.jpg

New holes for the headtube badge done and the badge waiting for paint. The pair of cut down hardened nails will act as new rivets. See next pic.

Jupiter011.jpg

The badge restored and ready to put in place.

Jupiterrungonmaalaus2.jpg

Back to frame.. Then it was time for primer. I thought of this over and over, should i go with enamel and brush or new layers of spray paint? I chose spray paint because i was late on my schedule. Classic red primer. Gray would've been boring.

Jupiterrungonmaalaus8.jpg

Glossy black spray paint drying up.

Jupiterrungonmaalaus9.jpg

The frame and the rear fender right after the paint was touch-dry.

Jupiterrungonmaalaus10.jpg

Figuring out the rear fender mounts...

Speaking of fender...Remember this pic?
1027copy.jpg

Well the mismatch fender that came with the bike was in REALLY bad shape to begin with. Almost rust thru in some areas and squashed at the bottom. I could've just just purchased a new one or one on better shape but instead, i decided to give it a go and see what i can make out of it.

Jupiterlokariresto4.jpg

After removing the layers of paint using paint stripper and heat gun i sanded the rust with coarse grit sand paper.

JUPITERRESTO014.jpg

The previous owner had forced the fender to fit so i chopped off about a inch and a half and because i wanted the fender shorter overall for desired looks.

JUPITERRESTO005.jpg

Then it was time for final sanding before primer.

Jupiterrungonmaalaus12.jpg

Two layers of glossy Spray paint came out fine.

Jupiterfender28-7-2009008.jpg

And here's a sneak peek as of today.

Talk to you very soon,
Thanks

-Timo

Many thanks for the comments.

This post will be about the wheels. The bike came with nice old finned profile steel 36's with German Union front hub and czech Favorit coaster hub on the back. The previous owner had painted them white in a rush, including the nipples and a section of spokes aswell. Here's the restoration steps in pictures.

test009.jpg

The wheels as-is.

h048.jpg

Dismantled, ready for paint removal and overall cleaning. This is just the rear wheel but obviously both wheels underwent the same process.

h051.jpg

The nipples soaking in paintremover.

h054.jpg

The wheels had been white originally with nice gold paint stripes. Too bad there was nothing i could do to save them as much as i would've liked to.

JUPITERRESTO008.jpg

Clean rim(s) ready for primer and final glossy layer. I decided to keep the rims white, because it had been their original colour anyway.

Jupitervanteet2.jpg

Painting in process.

Jupiterrimstripes003.jpg

Then it was time for masking tape for the rim stripes. It was quite clear to me the stripes would be candy/silvery blue.

Jupiterpinstripes1.jpg

The stripes were then painted manually using enamel paint.

Jupiterpinstripes4.jpg

Stripes - done.

Jupitervanteet6.jpg

Lacing - done.

Jupitervanteet3.jpg

And here they are, ready for vintage Nokia Speed-Hakkapeliitta tires (more on those later) and assembly complete with blue cloth rim tape ofcourse.

What these picture don't show is the painstaking hours and hours it took me to save the original spokes and nipples and make them shine like they do now. The spokes were gray to begin with with some 30-35 years of patina on them. First, i cleaned them as a group, then scrubbed each spoke individually with steel wool and only then i could show polish them with metal polish, manually. It took me some 3 hours per set of spokes for each wheels to clean and polish. My hand were hurthing afterwards but ultimately it was worth it.

Edit:
Almost forgot i had picture of these:

JUPITERRESTO010.jpg

The spokes all polished up.

JUPITERRESTO009.jpg

..And the front hub, polished and fully serviced.

Stay tuned.
Thanks

-Timo

HURRY UP!.........Looking forward to seeing this done.

Don't worry, the bike has been completed today and i have been outdoors shooting proper photos, will post them tonight within few hours. 'Til then hold on, and be cool 8)
Thanks!

-Timo

Before we get to the final pics here's a few more along the way i feel the need to share. I had pretty good general idea on how to make stripes and whatnot decorations using masking tape etc. I am not a professional but i do have a background in painting and drawing graphic stuff and working with small details.
Frames this old typically came with the headtube painted other colour than the rest of the frame so i really wanted to stay with the vintage looks and painted the front end white accordinly. I pondered with a few ideas and settled for a simple dynamic arrow (or whatever describes the form best, see pics) which was typically seen in these Öglaend made frames. I did everything backwards now that i look back to it, but everything went fine and more importantly, i'm happy with the overall result. Bear with me during these final process photos, and then we're ready for the final ones.

Jupiterpaint006copy.jpg

Marking the center line for the arrow/stripes with a taped-on thread.

Jupiterpaint007copy.jpg

I used PVC plastic tape which was very elastic for those tough bends and curves.

Jupiterpaint009copy.jpg

Here i have just finished with the blue and removed half of the mask.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009014.jpg

..and here's how they came out. I really had to think thru the "correct" order of coulours vs. stripes for dynamic appearance. One thing i like most is the suttle blue line that's barely visible, but in outdoor light it almost glows.

As for the number plate seen earlier in this thread. I did the final details:
JupiterFlyingFinnplate30-7-2009002c.jpg

I printed the phrase "The Flying Finn" on the back of sheet of white decal film and cut out each letter individually. I wish i had a sticker/vinyl cutter hooked onto the computer, ha! Anyway, i carefully placed the letter to correct line and shape and very gently applied some masking tape on top, sort of like home made version of those very common rub-on decals.

JupiterFlyingFinnplate30-7-2009006c.jpg

And the final "before" pic. Here peeling of the protective tape.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009081.jpg

Voilá!!

The moment we all (i hope) been waiting for.
Here are the photos of the completed ride as of today. Plenty of them, watch out and Enjoy!

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009050.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009066.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009052.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009053.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009067.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009068.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009074.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009080.jpg

Let's get down to details...

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009005.jpg

The seat turned out great if i may say so myself. It cleaned up very well and looks nothing like the horrible spray-bombed, duct-taped version presented earlier in this thread. The original blue also gave me ideas of the colours i'd use and more room to work with when choosing the right combination and colour balance. The tires you see are vintage Nokia Speed Hakkapeliitta's 23 by 2.25, a finnish tire widely used on mopeds here, but long discontinued. The rear tire that came with the bike originally was more less toast although still rideable. However i looked around for a while and found this pair instead in much much better shape, in fact the rear tire was NOS. I also found a pair with ice studs.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009006.jpg

The chainguard... i made last-minute changes to my plans with the chainguard. I was going to use the full-guard but besides having trouble fitting it it made the bike look slow. The funny thing is, after allll the time i spent polishing the full guard, i chose this one that i picked up from dumpster. It's a little nicked and scuffed up but turned out ok after polishing. And most importantly, looks more "agile" than the bigger chain guard.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009009.jpg

"Kesseli Superbike Racing - Ducati From Finland" Well, i found this sticker in an old garage in an old building nearby waiting to be jackhammered very soon if not already. To put is simple, Raimo Kesseli is one of the newer finnish riders in the finnish superbike class riding a Ducati. Beyond that i am pretty much clueless when it comes to motorsports. The sticker put a grin in my face and it has the finnish connection, therefore perfect for the bike and for the plate.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009015.jpg

Who would've thought the rusty fender would ever look this great again? I for one wasn't convinced when i took it off first time. But now i wouldn't change it for the world.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009030.jpg

The bars are now very stable with the added dual v-cross bars. There you can also see the new stem i pcked up at local bike recycler for about $4. It has longer reach and perfect chrome. The old stem was welded on to the bars (also seen earlier in this thread) but i really hated the fact i couldnät adjust bars so i took it off. In fact i had to cut it off in three pieces. The grips are off an old spanish G.A.C. Akimoto monoshock BMX bike, they are Ideal brand and i was very close in throwing them in the dumpster but glad i didn't. They are perfect match with the blue seat, the kind "old blue" i was looking for.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009072.jpg

The pedals have been "motofied" as you can see with sharpened teeth for good grip. They came with the bike and have been polished. One thing i don't like about them is that you can't adjust them. The only way to adjust was to pound the axle/cone tighter a bit. Oh well, they will probably last for a lifetime anyway. They are german made, i was unable to find out the brand though, they have like a big "C" and "W" on the cap, and the text "Made in w-Germany", should someone know, please inform.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009085.jpg

The fork that came with the bike was too narrow to accept these monstrous 23x2.25 vintage Nokia Speed-Hakkapeliitta tires. I found a wider fork form the same era at the smae recyclery shop in chrome and decided to use that. It was in perfect shape and cost like $5. However, despite the "new" fork being wider at the top, the very edges of the tire were still slightly rubbing the fork legs. It had got to end so i carefully made small curves for better tire clearance on to the fork legs. I simply placed them in a vise with a block of wood on the other side and a round iron bar on the other. Sounds rough but suits the purpose.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009089.jpg

Another view of the front end of the frame with the stripes.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009086.jpg

..and another.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009073.jpg

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009058.jpg

The Favorit coaster brake. Took me forever to adjust the chainline and still not completely happy with it. But, the hub itself works fine. Notice the kickstand, it's not chromed, it's just polished out. It used to look very different with all the rust and paint on it. Basicly i just sanded it wodn progressing into finer and finer grit paper all the way to water-sandpaper 600-something and gave it the final polish.

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009069.jpg

The fender again. I can't get enough staring the duck tail, ha!

Ok so there you have my entry. I hope it was worth waiting! I know i am very excited about my new ride, infact this has not only been my full resto but also my first ever lowrider/chopper style bike i have ever owned. Feels big after riding just BMX bikes and what's more, there's plenty of seat to sit on comfortably.
Thanks,

-Timo

JupiterFlyingFinn30-7-2009093.jpg

Bravo on the wonderful craftsmanship evident on this build! Loving the stripes and the custom v bars! It's obvious when you see a bike built by someone who really loves bikes, and working on them! It was well worth it! ~Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Bravo on the wonderful craftsmanship evident on this build! Loving the stripes and the custom v bars! It's obvious when you see a bike built by someone who really loves bikes, and working on them! It was well worth it! ~Adam
Could not of said it better
Nice job!

2Fresh said:

...and those are your skidmarks?? heheh.. ;-)

This finished fin is a very cool build. I saw it on the 'finished' already and was amazed by the many great details. Anotherone that's slightly different looking then 'the rest'. Well done!

Latest posts

Back