Just finished these two up! Schwinn Middle-Weight muscle bikes.....sorta!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a couple bikes I just finished up for myself and the wife! We got these early Schwinns (hers a '59 and mine a '62) at a local estate sale nearly 3 years ago (only $50 each too!)! I let them sit for a while, but finally got around to their final restorations. It's a his and hers, yin/yang, black and white, "stock" and "modified" combo for these beauties now! These are 24" Schwinns (middle-weights, not very common) and they both had most of the Muscle bike accessories on them when we found them. I believe the replaced parts to be absolutely period as the patina and age of the parts fit with the era of the bikes. So, 24" middle-weight cruisers with muscle bike fenders, banana seats and ape-hangers.....I dug it, so I kept all those parts!

Hers (the white one of course), is basically how we found it, save for brand new tires and tubes and a complete disassembly, cleaning and rebuild of all the vitals. We only added new grips and period streamers, the basket (Bill Matthews original courtesy of Judd Thornburg), the Troxel rear seat reflector and the whip with the coyote tail, also made by Judd. She rides like a dream!

Mine on the other hand, is more custom! It used to say, "Schwinn De Luxe Sting Ray" on the chain guard (it's absolutely not a Sting Ray to be certain, but again, it came that way), so now, to go along with its shrunken heads this one's called, "The Shrink Ray" (see the custom decal I had made for the chain guard and thanks to Judd Thornburg for the idea on the new name!). It's a little rat rod, it's a little hot rod, it's a little lowrider bike, it's a little muscle bike....it's allot COOL!!! It has a 20" front rim with original Bill Matthews front bumper. It also now sports a Jerald Sulky 24" rear "slick" tire on a used rear rim which I actually laced myself for the first time ever! I did the red lines on the tires myself with enamel paint. The seat was redone by my good buddy and bicycle sensei Judd Thornburg (@odder_art), along with the matching rear sissy bar back rest. Oh, that's a Bill Matthews extra tall sissy bar, courtesy of Judd on there as well! Judd also provided the hand made, custom wheelie bars on the rear, to which I added the new red skateboard wheels. New grips, speedo, headlight, rear light, genuine Schwinn 24" front springer fork, mirrors, black Louisville baseball bat and custom bat holder (Judd yet again) and a complete cleaning and rebuild were also performed. I've also added a genuine Stroud Safety mini drag chute bag on the rear. It does actually have a parachute in there, a Chinese military surplus pilot chute in white silk actually, that I rigged in to fit perfectly. It's a salesman's sample they use for display purposes at Stroud.....I had to have one as it's a perfect fit for a bike! Last, but certainly not least, I added a couple custom painted shrunken heads to round out the theme! One front and one rear, so as to always have an eye out while I'm cruising the mean streets!

Attachments

• IMG_5226.jpg
    IMG_5226.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5218.jpg
    IMG_5218.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5220.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    789 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5223.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5230.jpg
    IMG_5230.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5231.jpg
    IMG_5231.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5234.jpg
    IMG_5234.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5251.jpg
    IMG_5251.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5250.jpg
    IMG_5250.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5252.jpg
    IMG_5252.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5254.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5256.jpg
    IMG_5256.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5249.jpg
    IMG_5249.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 115
These are a couple bikes I just finished up for myself and the wife! We got these early Schwinns (hers a '59 and mine a '62) at a local estate sale nearly 3 years ago (only $50 each too!)! I let them sit for a while, but finally got around to their final restorations. It's a his and hers, yin/yang, black and white, "stock" and "modified" combo for these beauties now! These are 24" Schwinns (middle-weights, not very common) and they both had most of the Muscle bike accessories on them when we found them. I believe the replaced parts to be absolutely period as the patina and age of the parts fit with the era of the bikes. So, 24" middle-weight cruisers with muscle bike fenders, banana seats and ape-hangers.....I dug it, so I kept all those parts!

Hers (the white one of course), is basically how we found it, save for brand new tires and tubes and a complete disassembly, cleaning and rebuild of all the vitals. We only added new grips and period streamers, the basket (Bill Matthews original courtesy of Judd Thornburg), the Troxel rear seat reflector and the whip with the coyote tail, also made by Judd. She rides like a dream!

Mine on the other hand, is more custom! It used to say, "Schwinn De Luxe Sting Ray" on the chain guard (it's absolutely not a Sting Ray to be certain, but again, it came that way), so now, to go along with its shrunken heads this one's called, "The Shrink Ray" (see the custom decal I had made for the chain guard and thanks to Judd Thornburg for the idea on the new name!). It's a little rat rod, it's a little hot rod, it's a little lowrider bike, it's a little muscle bike....it's allot COOL!!! It has a 20" front rim with original Bill Matthews front bumper. It also now sports a Jerald Sulky 24" rear "slick" tire on a used rear rim which I actually laced myself for the first time ever! I did the red lines on the tires myself with enamel paint. The seat was redone by my good buddy and bicycle sensei Judd Thornburg (@odder_art), along with the matching rear sissy bar back rest. Oh, that's a Bill Matthews extra tall sissy bar, courtesy of Judd on there as well! Judd also provided the hand made, custom wheelie bars on the rear, to which I added the new red skateboard wheels. New grips, speedo, headlight, rear light, genuine Schwinn 24" front springer fork, mirrors, black Louisville baseball bat and custom bat holder (Judd yet again) and a complete cleaning and rebuild were also performed. I've also added a genuine Stroud Safety mini drag chute bag on the rear. It does actually have a parachute in there, a Chinese military surplus pilot chute in white silk actually, that I rigged in to fit perfectly. It's a salesman's sample they use for display purposes at Stroud.....I had to have one as it's a perfect fit for a bike! Last, but certainly not least, I added a couple custom painted shrunken heads to round out the theme! One front and one rear, so as to always have an eye out while I'm cruising the mean streets!
Really COOOL old Schwinns.. diggin on your Ford Falcon Wagon? What year? Also noticed the stem on Shrink is backwards, Is that for clearance or on purpose? It's NEATO any way.. RideOn... Razin...

Really cool Falcon wagon! 2 door or 4 door? Appears to be a 60-62 model. Too cool!

Latest posts

Back