Just joined this week. I live in South Texas, am 66 and a professional Santa Claus.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Sears Spyder bike with the 24-26" wheels I got in 1965. Dad bought it for me when I was 10 years old. It cost $36. I am looking to buy a bike just like I had shown in these June 1965 photos of me. Yes, when I was a little older, I was talked into selling it for $15 to a friend of my grandmother's for her son. Sigh.

Attachments

• MARK on new $36 Spyder bike from Sears Dad gave me 1314 E. Grimes June 1965.jpg
    MARK on new $36 Spyder bike from Sears Dad gave me 1314 E. Grimes June 1965.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 44
  • MARK Spyder Bike 1965 1314 Grimes Summer 1965 My first new bike Dad bought for me.jpg
    MARK Spyder Bike 1965 1314 Grimes Summer 1965 My first new bike Dad bought for me.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 42
  • MARK Spyder Bike 1965 Bill Place Erased 2 copy.jpg
    MARK Spyder Bike 1965 Bill Place Erased 2 copy.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 45

Attachments

• Santa ES 3.jpg.jpg
    Santa ES 3.jpg.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 36
  • MARK Spyder Bike 1 1965 1314 Grimes Summer 1965 Dad bought for me (1).jpg
    MARK Spyder Bike 1 1965 1314 Grimes Summer 1965 Dad bought for me (1).jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 37
Welcome. Keep me on the "Nice" list, Santa.
Sears Spyders from the 1960s like yours can get a little pricey these days.
I had a Spyder 500 when I was a kid. It had a straight tube frame and skinny tires. I did really like the butterfly bars.
I recently made a clone of a Spyder using a Higgins Flightliner frame for 24" tires.

Maybe Pee Wee Herman can help me find my bike. He found his in the basement of the Alamo. lol

Yes, there are bike clubs around. I am not familiar with them as the last bike I had for only a few months in 2012 was a green John Deere bike from 1972-74 that I fixed up and sold.

Attachments

• John Deere bike new tires 1.jpg
    John Deere bike new tires 1.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 34
Welcome aboard!

Bikes that were fun to ride usually were worn out completely, especially boy's bikes. You may not find a good 24" Spyder like yours, but that 24" frame is not unique to the Spyder model. You can easily get that same frame and build your Spyder to be a duplicate of the 24" one you had, or you could make a 26" version that looks just like it.
It's a Murray frame, they made hardly any changes to their cantilever frames over the years. They were used by many brands, Sears like yours, Western Flyer, Foremost (JC Penney) and others.

1636629657593.png

There are thousands of those frames, mostly 26", but plenty of 24" frames or whole bikes. That would be your best bet for your bike. You'll collect tons of parts along the way too.

Attachments

• 1636629303299.png
    1636629303299.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 36
I just thought of another idea. Track down the original bike! The son of your family friend may still have it in the corner of a garage somewhere or knows where it went. It can't hurt to ask.

And for Christmas, I'd like a 1957 Evans Commander.

Thanks Santa!

TheCABE...

......where Santa Claus sends his Wish List!
Hahaha...HoHoHo...LOL...

I hope you get your wish returned soon.

...and I'd also like to say that I can just never stay awake late enough to catch you at my house.
I'd like to apologize for telling you had bad breath in Woolworth's in 1969.
Even though I've moved, I'll try leaving cookies out for you again and a roll of Certs.
Your friend, dANnY

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Bikes that were fun to ride usually were worn out completely, especially boy's bikes. You may not find a good 24" Spyder like yours, but that 24" frame is not unique to the Spyder model. You can easily get that same frame and build your Spyder to be a duplicate of the 24" one you had, or you could make a 26" version that looks just like it.
It's a Murray frame, they made hardly any changes to their cantilever frames over the years. They were used by many brands, Sears like yours, Western Flyer, Foremost (JC Penney) and others.

View attachment 177699

There are thousands of those frames, mostly 26", but plenty of 24" frames or whole bikes. That would be your best bet for your bike. You'll collect tons of parts along the way too.
I just picked up a JC Penneys Foremost bike from the early 60"s on the CHEAP.. If you look hard enough, they made THOUSANDS of these bikes and their are still tons of them around... RaToN.. Razin...

Latest posts

Back