Just picked up a new old bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is Matt and I live in MI, originally from NY. I've been on and off this site for the past couple years. I've had an old kids Schwinn Stingray for years that I've neglected and finally got it from NY and brought it with me with intentions to fix it up. I also just picked up, today, an old Western Flyer I ran into on Craigslist. The Western Flyer I know NOTHING about and I'm hoping to find plenty of info here.

The original plan for the Schwinn was to get a 26" fork to raise it more, since it's running an adult size crank on it. It could use new grips and reupholster the banana seat. Other than just cleaning it up/re-grease everything and make it run smoothly and of course new tires. Still on the fence about painting it.

The Western needs much more work, but the plan is an overhaul and a paint job and also new tires!

544494_585701822586_1780903988_n.jpg

1010242_589967399336_875711913_n.jpg

Northville! Well that ain't too far! We might have to find all the other locals and set up a future ride! (if there isn't one already haha)

And thanks Junknutz, I'm falling more and more in love with this bike haha. And leads on where I might be able to pin point it's year? Having a little trouble with my searching skills :/

Welcome from Plymouth! The Western Flyer is a unique one. It's likely from the mid 60s when there was a big boom of tanklight middleweight bicycles. You see an influx of chrome "space-age" bicycles like the Sears Spaceliner and then you get their painted counterparts. Judging by the unique style light bezel, I'd say this was a Sabre Flyer. Looks like it's mostly original parts, just some rough pieces and an ugly repaint. I just turned a nearly identical bike into a klunker for riding my awful dirt roads.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the bikes and if you ever need parts, feel free to ask. I've got a lot laying around, I'm local, and we could get that Western Flyer riding again.
-Jason

Thanks for all the welcomes and love! And JPromo, I think you're right! I looked up the Sabre Flyer and the few things I've found thus far seems to be pretty spot on!

First step is tires.

Also, JPromo, speaking of parts... You wouldn't happen to have, or have a lead on, a 26" Schwinn fork I could swap onto my StingRay do ya?!

Latest posts

Back