Just popped for a Schwinn chopper; pix and questions!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of you own these or had previously owned one. Is the headset a 1 1/8”? How wide of rear axle spacing? What BB do I need?

Man- there are resources for everything EXCEPT for the BB. I can buy a turnkey kit for a 24” rear wheel, for motorised or non. I can turn it into a motorised bicycle. I can buy a 24” front with disc brakes installed. Solid aluminium seat posts so I can mount a real seat.
I am thinking of mounting a skinny 650c front wheel to give it a drag look. Or not. First, I need to figure out if I will go Candy Gold, polished/raw or primer colour. Part of me is thinking rat rod and part is thinking customised hot rod. The only thing with powder coating is the inability to pinstripe it.

This is what’s coming to me:
291F636A-2189-482C-913A-F89C6152B5A7.jpeg

Thinking of buying a fat tyre hub and lacing a regular 24” BMX rim so I can run Hookworms on it (with a dropout kit I’d buy or have made). Then I would run a 26” MTB front with either drum or disc brake.

I have made the decision to go more stock with wheels, with the exception of painting the rims red and rebuilding the front wheel to be a disc brake. Knowing now that the frame is steel, I can remove the paint and go for either clear coat or linseed oil. Not certain of handlebars, yet.

Of course this all could change when she arrives.

I think the local machine shoppe could hook me up with said plates or better- have a local welder weld up some plates to extend that rear end. I definitely want to stretch out that bike a bit. Details to come. I see her tomorrow...

It’s a shame those G’d awful decals are hidden under clear. The paint is GORGEOUS!!!!
Is there some way I could make the fork work? I am thinking there is some piece to add a bit of steer tube; otherwise, I may have to go to a plan B...
F388F39B-6FB0-4DC7-B3EB-2D6CE5A7C9E7.jpeg

I guess I will start with a $9.99 part... As long as I can pre-load the headset somehow. Where there’s a will, there is a way!

I really like the frame, even the decals. A skull or 8 ball where the big "S" is might set it apart.
The Skull is a go with my plan. I will likely reinstall the Schwinn badge, maybe age it.

I did just buy a fork yoke. Maybe a bent back handlebar. I am going for a minimalist look, which is why so many items will be shaved on the frame. The fork legs may just have to be done custom. They won’t be chromed.

First plan with the yoke is to see if the legs from the original triple fork won’t slot in first. If they DO, then I will likely fit them into the Yoke. If not, then back to the drawing board. It would be VERY surprising if they do not as I think they may WELL be from the same maker, I have a funny feeling. The Chinese tend to use the Ford philosophy: make many things compatible to keep costs LOW.

I think the $9.99 part on the original triple fork will work just fine. I have started stripping paint. I have wrapped the bike in plastic bags to avoid the stripper drying out. After the stripping is completed, I will throw a light coat of mineral oil onto the frame whilst waiting to get time to shave all of the unnecessary bits and bobs from the frame.

I haven’t heard from the fellow who sells motor kits, new triple forks, etc. when it comes to a few parts I have bought from him and I placed my order last Wednesday. I think he won’t be getting my business for the extended drop outs. I may end up in his grille on his FB page. I will post pics of everything soon.

Update on the fellow who sold me cranks, hub, etc.: I phoned him and he explained that he was waiting for the cranks. I wish he would have sent an email stating what was going on instead of me having to phone. To his credit, he picked up on the second ring

Latest posts

Back