Just popped for a Schwinn chopper; pix and questions!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear wheel arrived!!!! No pix as of yet. Why does this rim have a crummy reflector mount RIVETED to the rim?!?

They certainly used the crummiest of crummy loose ball bearings! Plus- the freewheel is a pile of JUNK!!! I have a brand new, ACS chromed version. I will paint the rims RED.

I want this bike to roll SMOOTH. I wish I could load these hubs with Campagnolo balls and races. Oh well. But this bike needs TONNES of TLC. Stay tuned...

I have revised my plan a teeny bit. As this is a show bike to be ridden sparingly, why not make it look like a drag bike? I am thinking 700c road wheel for the front, use disc covers on the rear, and use the fattest slick I can put out back? I also need to stretch the rear out a bit.

My inspiration:
F30A57E0-8AD1-49BD-BF9B-1E205988334A.jpeg

Ordered the 2” billet drop out extenders. Also ordered a 36 hole, aero section rim to lace to a disc brake hub. I need to see if there is a way to utilise a hollow stem bolt to help hide the brake cable run. I may have hallucinated the fork had a place to hide the cable.

I am of the belief that front brakes are sufficient, especially with the rear weight bias on this style of bicycle. Am I correct or do I need a rear brake?

I am almost to the point on most of these bits I am shaving that I will have to file from this point onward. After all, the rear wheel is going to be in a place where neither rims brakes will work and a fender would be useless.

A little more:

315B82D1-FB31-49B3-B2A8-7659B6DA1673.jpeg
AD446054-C663-48DF-874E-677D1FB6974F.jpeg

Found my tyres for $100 USD for the pair. I got a Vee tire Co Speedster 20x4.0 rear and a Hutchinson Acrobat in 700c x32mm. front. Both have good flat prevention characteristics. I am hoping my crank, hub, BB and drop out extenders arrive by the time I smooth out this frame. I may even make a bit of body work for the rear tyre. There is a cool drag fender made by a motorcycle body shoppe that I will loosely reference. I have a disc cover for the rear that will be painted flat black. What diameter front brake rotor should I buy? I am thinking 200mm.

Definitely going for the dual 20s. I will paint one of my $2 Box BMX rims flat black. It is a good thing I ordered short cranks as dual 20’s will cause problems with anything conventional. Threw the first coat of linseed oil onto the frame after rinsing the stripper with Vinegar.
Slow and very random rust discolouration stains appeared a few moments after the vinegar dried. A few bits of the green paint remain, which actually adds to the cool factor. After a few good coats, the black area in the head gusset will appear so that the skull and crossbones stencils (cut by yours truly) can be sprayed. Now that the vision is starting to appear organically, I can see this through. The question now? What to do with a 700c rim and tyre. I could see it going onto a motorised drag bicycle. There will ALWAYS be a use, just like 10 more Box 36 hole rims...

Bars arrived yesterday. They are very wide. Definitely a drag bar. I will put vinegar on and seal with linseed oil.

I definitely have room for the top of the triple and a BMX stem. The OCC triple is being saved for another build.

I am using a laid back seat pin. I also need a carriage bolt and nut to cinch the pin into place.

What type of saddle?

Latest posts

Back