Just popped for a Schwinn chopper; pix and questions!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome with these wheels and tires. Good choice on the size. I must admit I don't like when the front tire is bigger than the rear like most choppers. With same size rims and a fatter rear tire it reminds me of a Fat Boy.
Thank you!
I was going to do a way oversized front, but in the end, it wasn’t going to work. The Fat Boy looks infinitely better.

It'll be a pretty simple build, with not a lot of kustom stuff. I'll probably make a build log here at RRB.
Simple elegance is my motto. I went over the top for the simple reason that I like the super-stretched look! If I had a mill, I probably would’ve made my own with two inches more stretch. Part of me still wants to see if the tubes on the new fork could be bent about 10 degrees, which would help further stretch this. If the tubes are aluminium, that’s a no; if steel, DEFINITELY!

Simple elegance is my motto. I went over the top for the simple reason that I like the super-stretched look! If I had a mill, I probably would’ve made my own with two inches more stretch. Part of me still wants to see if the tubes on the new fork could be bent about 10 degrees, which would help further stretch this. If the tubes are aluminium, that’s a no; if steel, DEFINITELY!

Here's my project bike. Not much to look at, at the moment, but I'm gathering parts, and de-rusting things. I have a layback post, and a nice, soft C9 saddle, plus a few other odds and ends. This is the last time I'll interrupt your post with my photo. Just wanted to show a kind of, Stingray solidarity.

IMG_20210529_120851244.jpg

Here's my project bike. Not much to look at, at the moment, but I'm gathering parts, and de-rusting things. I have a layback post, and a nice, soft C9 saddle, plus a few other odds and ends. This is the last time I'll interrupt your post with my photo. Just wanted to show a kind of, Stingray solidarity.

View attachment 159339
These bikes have SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!! You can get a Fat Boy fork that works with that extra fat wheel! It isn’t an interruption! That bike has heaps of potential!!!!

Is there something specific about the paint for striping? I used standard acrylic from a tube, and it didn't turn out smooth
I do believe it is designed to be heavily thinned with mineral spirits. It is acrylic paint with a heavy pigment load, but made to be thinned heavily for a smooth line. This will go perfectly with my linseed oil/patina aesthetic. The colour is one of my favourites!

I've cut a bunch of those into parts for builds. The rear half of my current Build Off bike began as one. I'm also reusing the BB and cranks. Check out DoorK class 2 or search for Muscle Spasm to see the original build that I cut up to create DoorK.

Carl.

I've cut a bunch of those into parts for builds. The rear half of my current Build Off bike began as one. I'm also reusing the BB and cranks. Check out DoorK class 2 or search for Muscle Spasm to see the original build that I cut up to create DoorK.

Carl.
This bike could easily turn motorised since the BB ate it. I have a few solutions, but there is now a distinct possibility that since I had to use a bit of body English to get the BB installed, cranks could be replaced by pegs and this will be 100% motorised. We will see. These machines have great potential, if not hampered by a couple of niggle factors. The construction could easily handle a motor, that is for certain!

Want your saddle waterproof? Go to a sports shoppe, grab a little Sno Seal and go to town. It darkens the leather a bit, but gives such a rich and supple look and if you’re caught in a rain storm, the saddle won’t care much. No weird ingredients, just beeswax and a few other emollients.

B44747D5-0B4D-4D4C-9101-0F2660BA458F.jpeg
5A2AE392-341E-4DC5-AAE7-6C9C06E6ACB5.jpeg

Fork is installed. The new one BELONGS and actually makes the stance better due to the longer legs. Disc brake front wheel is finished (not picked up). Hopefully my seat guts arrive today or tomorrow. A lot of little milestones today!!!

Latest posts

Back