Just what I need... Another project!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KFD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

My name is Kelly, and I am a certified gear head. I love things that are old crusty and fast, and a few fast things that aren't old and crusty!

Lots of old things catch my eye, and I get ideas for projects in my head all the time: vintage ducati based-cafe racers, beater rad rods, you get the idea. I am sure lots of us here share that passion.

40419_1566678129900_1323836109_1548866_8232653_n.jpg

This is my wife, and the scooter. I regret selling that Sonoma in the background!

My main vehicle is my '03 Aprilia RSV mille. I also have my '71 Skylark that I am breathing life back into after an almost ten year hiatus from the road. It is coming to the west coast really soon from my parent's home in Florida.

39253_1566682490009_1323836109_1548896_345206_n.jpg

I am currently wrapping up an Afghan deployment, as in I am stepping on a plane ride home tomorrow!

So anyway, I live in Hermosa Beach in sunny southern california, where my family has called home since the early sixties when people could still afford to live here.

One of the things I want to get back into is riding bicycles. My wifey has a beach cruiser, and I have my BMW streetcarver.

bmw1.jpg

This is me, in 2002 shortly after I bought streetcarver #1. That is my old '58 Dodge. See? I told ya I like old stuff!

That big heavy thing is starting to take a toll on my pushing knee after about ten years of use, so it's on to getting a bicycle. My wife is telling me to get a new chinese-built beach cruiser, and call it a day.

YEAH, RIGHT!!!!

Like I say, motorcycles are a passion of mine. If I can't build an italian cafe racer, my next dream is a board track racer... You see where I am going with this...

ludlow1.jpg

It might blase`, but it's a passion of mine.

In fact, when I googled up 'board track racer', I came up with this very site!

vmbbtr4.jpg

Hmmm... Look familiar!?

So that's the plan....

Right now, sitting on a rack outside my dad's garage is a very old Phillips, with a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed. Yep, pre '60. It's a girl's frame, but if I can't find something that looks like the schwinn panther, I'll breathe life into it.

I don't know too much about bicycles (well, with an engine swap AND a frame swap in the Skylark in high school, and motorcycles since then, waddya expect I have been doing with my time!), especially vintage ones. I have been lurking on here for the past few days now that I have had lots of down time here in Kuwait. I have questions, and I am sure you guys can answer that. I have already found the handlebars I want (I am not satisfied with flipping/turning the handlebars down), and the white vintage treaded balloon tires. I am on the hunt for that offset seat post (I think that is what it's called), and obviously, the men's cruiser frame!

Thanks everyone, and if anybody knows where I can get an old frame that won't break the bank (south of fifty bucks, preferably!!!!), and yes, I know about that j.c. Higgins on craigslist right now, I hope it won't be gone when I get back next week!

KFD

Welcome! I'm sure you'll fit right in. Looking forward to your future projects. 8)

Latest posts

Back