Kansas Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I'm visiting my grandparents in the hot and humid state of KS, and my grandfather told me I could have their old bikes. Here is the first. It's been painted gray (there is a pretty blue underneath), and everything appears to be original, although as a newer guy to this bike world I could be wrong. Not sure what model this is. I've been looking for a serial number but I fear it's been caked over with paint.

a6890991-440d-5a97.jpg

a6890991-442a-9678.jpg

a6890991-445a-eea6.jpg

a6890991-4489-eea7.jpg

Will do, thanks. :) my grandpa told me its missing a tank and headlight, he could be wrong though. I'm sure the serial number will tell the tale.

It probably had painted fenders originally. Those are Wald replacements. Lots of potential. Gary

Well i finally found the serial number. C34957, on the left rear drop out.

Still trying to do some searching online so I can start trying to figure out what the model is.

Any guidance is welcomed! :D

Looks like May of 1952. Very nice. 52 is when they began placing the ser #s on the left drop out. Very well could have had a tank and rack. Does it look like a tank was present as far as how the paint looks near where the tank border would be against the frame?

1918 Ranger

Thanks 1918 Ranger, unfortunately the gray paint is covering the original blue. I'll have to wait until I get home and try to get the spray paint off. I dug out my grandmother's western flyer/galaxy flyer, and brother's AMF Gold Fever today. I also found the original handlebars for it, so I'll be putting those back on. :D
a68909fa-527b-62c5.jpg
a68909fa-529c-ad4c.jpg

regarding the '52 Schwinn:
One thing I've been noticing is the chainguard doesn't look right. Every bike i've seen from the 1952 catalogs have the feathered guard. The chainguard currently on it does have the blue paint and some white (unreadable) decals. Not sure if this is an aftermarket item (same as the fenders and pedals that are stamped Wald). So, my search continues. My goal is to find out exactly what this was and restore to that condition.

Saverio said:
regarding the '52 Schwinn:
One thing I've been noticing is the chainguard doesn't look right. Every bike i've seen from the 1952 catalogs have the feathered guard. The chainguard currently on it does have the blue paint and some white (unreadable) decals. Not sure if this is an aftermarket item (same as the fenders and pedals that are stamped Wald). So, my search continues. My goal is to find out exactly what this was and restore to that condition.

Aftermarket guard for sure. Your bike would have had the feather guard or possibly the big deluxe guard. Either one will fit that frame. Gary

Chips_Mahoy said:
Saverio said:
I dug out my grandmother's western flyer/galaxy flyer,
a68909fa-527b-62c5.jpg

What year is this one?
The Galaxy Flyers were mid 60s give or take. Not a precise answer but close. I believe they ran from early to just past mid 60s

1918 Ranger

Latest posts

Back