KCI's Recent Acquisitions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a catch-all thread for the Industries.

Yesterday's day trip pickup, positively Orwellian:
DSCN5942.JPG

DSCN5944.JPG

Those Araya 7C 26" hoops are immaculate, as is most of the bike. I wish the paint were better, but it's definitely not horrible for its age. The spec says Dia Compe 280 levers, but those do not appear to be 280's. The saddle is the only thing ever added by the original owner, who lived in Chicago at the time and knew someone at Schwinn. Always love a good back-story.

Stumbled into this and made a great connection for more vintage MTBs in the process:

20210511_133036.jpg

20210511_133121.jpg

All OE, except the saddle, tires and kickstand after having only one previous owner. When I bought my Sierra in 1986, if Anaheim Schwinn had a Cimarron or one of these in my size...

Did Schwinn use the authentic nitto Bullmeese bars or did they make their own?
I have not pulled them yet and in the early years of Schwinn Taiwan fabbed MTBs, some of the stock one owner bikes I've come across do not match the OE spec. The last two added both appear to have identical bars and the Sierra's bars still have the small oval "SBC 4130 Chrome Molybdenum" sticker on the front of them.

How tall is that thing?
*You still need another. Make it an even "baker's dozen". Nothing more even than thirteen
23", same as the Mesa Runner I've been using as a townie. I almost grabbed it by mistake last night on the way to the food library because they are so similar. The headtube angle on the Cruiser Supreme is way more slack, apparently to make up for the straight blades on the Sidewinder fork they came with.

The baker's dozen concept crossed my mind, but it would have to be a ridiculous deal to get another on the floor.

For some reason, Sundays are my most productive day of the week. Time to get at it, as the next door neighbor's kid needs to go fast on some singletrack.

I was in the backyard talking to my wife while she worked in the vegetable garden. I like to encourage her efforts when I can. I then walked around the front of the house and found this Huffy Stalker in the driveway. I could think of two friends who were capable of such a thing. I called one, and he denied that he had done this and was, in fact, a little insulted that I thought that he would foist a Huffy on me. I couldn't raise the other guy, so the mystery remains for now. Actually, this might have possibilities. Single speed with BMX-style handlebars? Hit it with some olive drab for a military tribute (already got one of those)? The big, black dork disk is kinda interesting.

huffy stalker 1.jpg

Mystery solved. A third friend had left the bike, then contacted me to ask if it was worth fixing up to use at his condo at the shore (here in Jersey, it's the shore). Turns out it was. The parts department yielded a seat post of the proper diameter, a saddle, a pair of 26 X 2.125 whitewalls, and a bottle holder. Sunday it'll be headin' down the shore for some cruising this summer.

Latest posts

Back