Khaos

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
That hulk doesn't look to bad. It depends how it looks on the bike.

I like that Selle Anatomica leather seat is cool. Pricy, but can see the appeal. I was wanting to re-skin with that old Sprint seat I've been taking from off road build to build forever.
20 miles on the Selle and I was hooked! Cost is the only reason I don't have one already.

No doubt there are times I'll accept a weight penalty using heavy cooler components(I am with a springer). I do need to keep this build portable though. It has to store in small spaces and be carried around up many flights of stairs. The original bike was around 25 Lbs with a steel crank, hubs, stem and seat post. I could lift what's pictured in the OP with a finger. Think I can keep it around the same weight with alloy parts.

My goal is performance and looks. I'll be able to ride my version more comfortably with higher confidence on/off more types of roads. It's a fantastic base where a full size is too large. Not all of us have vast living spaces. I'm not into folding bikes, they tend to look and feel strangely.

Saddle restoration isn't my forte, wish it was. I sure enjoy watching folks working on their own.

Reaction score
20 miles on the Selle and I was hooked! Cost is the only reason I don't have one already.
Twenty miles on brand new? I've heard the Brooks take a hundred miles just to break in. I'd love to get my butt on the Selle Flite
3224DCC3-5432-4206-AC31-CD64FDAD19FC.jpeg

metalchewy

Make It, Build It, Ride It
Pro Member
Reaction score
Twenty miles on brand new? I've heard the Brooks take a hundred miles just to break in. I'd love to get my butt on the Selle Flite
View attachment 177969
I love these Selle Italia saddles, they don't take much to break in. I put this one on an old JC Penny Spalding. Felt like it was made for my rear the first time I sat on it.
20211113_072743.jpg

That bike is in dire need of repair now. I lent it out. Bottom bracket bent, chainring rubs, stay almost has a hole in it.
20211113_074124.jpg

Seat is scuffed on all three points, but will make a good runner at some point. Pulled it this morning and brought it inside to the seat parts drawer.

Reaction score
View attachment 177969
Not new, fellow rider's, fully adjusted, ventilated. Custom Reynolds tubing road bike he had made in England, early 70's. Didn't find myself having to re-adjusting at all. Forgot to ask which model and his maintenance. We'll meet again soon.

Reaction score
Lime green nipples do exist.
Lime green nipples.jpg

Along with lime candy paints. Nice, shade can be adjusted. Didn't occur to me to add stripes to the frame.
Red and lime are almost complementary colors. They'll cause a vibrating visual effect... more chaos.
Screenshot 2021-11-14 at 09-20-00 KANDY RATTLE BOMBSublime Green.png

Coloring must be applied sparingly to certain parts against opposite colors and chrome... don't want the bike to look like a watermelon:21:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haven't dealt with this sort of ride. I generally have a formula for frames like Schwinns regarding drivetrains.

Spindle center is about 12''. That's gobs of clearance. 1st attempt with a narrow Q short crank setup @170mm. I can hardly tell the diff between 170 and 175mm arms but get winded earlier with 180mm. I'd rather go efficiency. Not a jumper so what I have is adequate.
crank.jpg

The stem happens to be from a 90's Schwinn Predator. One if my favorites. Side pinch bolts rule.

OG in the house.
Sugino ring.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I need the gears from the left and spacing from the right because the left won't work with an indexed shifter properly.
IMG1.jpg

Tried to remove the cog with chain whips, NO DICE!:headbang:

Had to make this contraption and apply the force against the wall. Never had one this tight before!
IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg

Now I'm thinking F this and go with a freehub 7 speed, disc, rapid fire, the works.

I don't think @Uncle Ookie likes me. Welcome to the party PAL!:p

Last edited:
Reaction score
That was quick! I likes mail.
hamppeapackage.jpg

It's hub with a 5/16'' axle :confused: Need to correct that!
516.jpg

Dirty dirty... the aroma of stale grease.
dirty.jpg

Quick polish... don't forget about the two tone paint laterz.
polish.jpg

Nice and clean.
clean.jpg

Fixed. 3/8'' axle approved.
380.jpg

Job went fast. Gotta take a leak now... been holding it in the whole time since opening the package.

Reaction score
Ever build a bike and say to yourself, I've made this before...
Yep, I did it again. Well, I did manage to get more suspension travel by using the active leg from a longer springer.
deja vu.jpg

This's a bit silly. Bike was fine the way it was... nice and light. Able to keep up with a TT rider the other day with da big ring:whew:

Reaction score
This last picture is awesome. Love the look, it’s really wacky cool and looks like it would be fun to ride!
No denying that's my bike, hehe.
With a modern front suspension (compression/rebound sides) I could see it being a permanent member. I've got low weight and maneuverability on my side. Good platform to swap parts quick depending on riding conditions. It's going to be something else with a modern groupset & front rear disks. It could remain a X1 although limited to 7-8 speeds due to the 126mm dropout spacing. I don't want to spread the stays for 9+ gears. I'll just use another ring up front. The freewheel is a combination of 2 Suntours, the Winner and Perfect units. Gearing is custom for my usage. Got it shifting ultra smoooth for an old set.

Bike looked like this just several hours before. Could've entered it the MBBO. Rider on a TT caught up to me, we reach 20mph going up hill together. Had a friendly chat. He let me stay out front. Opened up all 4 barrels going up the next hill to see what we could do. Did ok, lost in the end tho... It was the slick tire:rolleyes:
Qualiarrow.jpg

:21:

Reaction score
Couldn't sleep, had to do something to feel better.

Used the active leg from a longer fork for 50mm travel. Rat trap rockers destroy rubber bump stops unless they're substantially thick which reduces travel. Durable fork. Beat the snot out of them. Never broke one. I did manage to bend an active leg once, easy to straighten.
rat3.jpg

Might have to relocate the slot slightly. Maybe a possibility of adding a rebound damper from the rocker to the non active leg...
rat4.jpg