Kick Bike (scooter)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, when I cleaned out the bike shed, along with the Ross Polo Bike frame, that I put together for my grandson. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=21042 I found this also. A kick scooter that I bought for my daughter, in the 80's. It was covered in "crud", took a couple of days to clean. But now it's ready for my granddaughter. She used to eye it in the shed and kept asking about it. It was pretty nice to see her face lite up when she tried it. My daughter was also happy to see it handed down to her daughter.

001-39.jpg

That's half the story......Last week my wife and I took a WALK on our favorite bike path. We've been RIDING it for over 5 yrs. I couldn't believe all the little details I picked up on, going at such a slower pace. I started thinking, cause I really hate walking, what would be the next best thing.......Well, my granddaughter won't be "kickin" alone.........I bought a Foot Bike.......Got another coming for my wife this week....I figure if anybody starts laughing, I'll just tell them it was HER idea. :roll: I tried it today, totally different riding experience. I LIKED it!

005-14.jpg

They laugh because we are different.
We laugh because they are sheeple.

I can dig it. Nice brain you got there!!!

Graylock said:
You are the best Grandpop :wink: I think I can make one of those in either a Swing bike or Tall Bike...........what color?

GL
When I CLEANED out the shed, I got rid of about 20 bikes (junk). I knew I would regret it. I could've probably made 4 of these. So now I'm back on the hunt for junk bikes again (I thought this addiction would go away, but it never ends :cry: ) I'm glad I bought this one, it was inexpensive, considering the quality.

BankerRAt said:
good grief Charlie Brown.... I think its kinda cool actually Larry! R we gonna see you Saturday big guy?
Planning on it!

I don't know if your FootBike is the same compnay or not, but there is a woman and her husband in Owosso Michigan that started a company building this type of scooter. She rides it everywhere and from what I've heard she gets really annoying (read pisses off) alot of the bicyclists in the area. I guess she is pretty vocal about her scooter's superiority over the bicycle. She's married to some doctor/heath nut and this their way of getting everyone in shape ( probably trying to get it passed with health insurance compnaies). I know the scooters are a pretty good form of exercise and offer a change , not to mention a different ride, but she and her husband are going at this all wrong. Why can't we all just get along?
I have heard her yell at people telling them to get off their bikes and do some real exercise! If they would try to get along with the bicyclists, they would probably sell more in the area.

All that being said ...
I like both of your scooters and that Foot Bike rocks! I might have to do my own version sometime!

aka_locojoe said:
What are the wheel sizes on yours?
GLAD you asked, I had them rotating in the wrong direction (can probably hit 6mph now).
The front is 28 x 1 3/8, back is 18 x 1 3/8.

well ... there goes my "put some whitewalls on it" suggestion :mrgreen: maybe a suicide brake lever attached to a front coaster hub instead 8) Looks fun going downhill though !!!

Kota you are welcome to anything in my scrap pile I'm getting ready to scrap a trailer full of bikes

cody-james said:
Kota you are welcome to anything in my scrap pile I'm getting ready to scrap a trailer full of bikes
Ix-nay on the "scrap" pile-ay (my wife sometimes reads these). :wink:
THANKS CJ

You going Saturday?

You should be ashamed of yourself. I've secretly become a scooter "purist", and I shed a tear when I saw what you did (jk)......When I saw the video I knew it looked cool, but didn't figure out how you made it. Now that I'm retired maybe I'll drive over for your next race, and see if I can bring the Trophy back to New England!

I have a Footbike too. The same model and color, I was thinking about putting a springer front fork on it and some trac bars for effect. Not sure about the breaking though, maybe go with a Sturmey Archer XFD drum break up front. I guess I have thought about a little bit.

Just Kick It, Rat Rod Style!

Wallyp

I built my kick bike for RRBO 4. Its got 144 spoke wheel on front and 36" ape hangers. Look in the archives for Hot Rod Scooter.
I also have a kick bike in yellow, It has a 700c front wheel.

Like this one, dos cruiser. The yellow one (wife's), is a "Kickbike" City Cruiser. The black one is a "Footbike" Express. These are the two major companies.....I've added a rear rack, higher bars and a kickstand to the black one.

002-32.gif

003-15.jpg

I'll race ya,wallyp.

On a flat bike path, we usually average about 10-12 mph. Can you ride that fast on a kickbike for any period of time?

Wildcat said:
On a flat bike path, we usually average about 10-12 mph. Can you ride that fast on a kickbike for any period of time?
You should think about joining the Kickbike America team and compete (seriously)! .....I bought these to go "slow". :wink:

Yes KOTA, That's like my yellow one. There fun to ride around, my Neighbors thinks I'm nuts with all of my bikes and scooters.
I really like to ride my Hot Rod scooter the most, it really makes people look at me nutty.

Latest posts

Back