Kid Trike (no name as of yet...)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the original intent of my build was to actually put it in the build section but I'm terrible at remembering to take pics! I even forgot a decent before pic so I mocked it up. Yikes, I need to get better at the picture thing...

In any case, here she is. A little history: A couple years ago my wife and I were wandering into an Oktoberfest when I saw an adult trike locked along a rail with a kid seat in the back. It was rigged for a toddler-like carseat in the upright position and the trike itself was pretty stock. I said to me wife "How cool would that be?"
Fast forward a year and we're pregnant! My mind is still lingering on that trike. So I search craigslist and pick up a beauty for $90 and only about a mile from my house. It sits for two months and my fall break hits (I'm a teacher) a week before Tour De Fat in Tempe. So I sell my Rat Fink (wife said thin the herd before I can spend money to trick the trike) and get busy! I finished the trike sans box by midnight before the Tour and the box was a 2 month long project. In that time frame, my wife had our son (at home, no drugs= Super Woman!) and I've had two hours of sleep per night. But, the build must go on, right?
Hope you enjoy... future touch ups include checkered wheels, fenders, black painted light and a stick shifter with a keg tap. But hey, for now it rolls nice!
Thanks,

Before: It came complete without a basket. Duct tape at some point had been wrapped in three places along the down tube. (Why...?)
What I saved: Rims/hubs, frame, rear derailer and small chain, fork, frame, stem, and cranks.
What I ditched: everything else!
beforetrike1.jpg

beforetrike2.jpg

beforetrike3.jpg

After round 1: Added 24" white walls, Electra seat, "wood" (foam) grips, mid-rise apes, Nirve pedals, Electra bell, 2 coats of satin black spray and some beer, vans and In-n-Out stickers!
aftertrike1.jpg

aftertrike2.jpg

After round 2: The trike came with a frame that both held the non-existent basket and the rear fenders in place. I hacksawed it and flipped the rack so it dropped to just above the derailer/hub drive. I then borrowed a beach idea from the surf artist Drew Brophy and used sharpie and 3 colors of stain to spice up the deck. I got the stain idea from my bro who builds and designs longboard skate decks (Thanks Marts!) at Fat Fish Longboards. 8 "L" brackets later and a careful test drive got the thumbs up from my wife, and we were rolling!
aftertrike4.jpg

aftertrike3.jpg

trikebox.jpg

And as I had hoped, he loves it! He either falls asleep or just gazes around as we cruise along.
Me, Kai and the trike
meandkaitrike.jpg

Mama, Kai and the trike!
mamaandkaitrike.jpg

And one last shot. These are the two bikes I've done so far at Tour de Fat. I need to thank all you at ratrodbikes for the inspiration and the camaraderie in our sweet hobby. Ride on!
tdfbikes.jpg

Man do I hear you about taking pictures. I post the original CL pic followed by the completed bike. Great looking bikes. There is nothing like a family ride with the little one. Enjoy, it goes fast.

I have two bungee cords to strap him in. One wraps over the top towards the front under two slots that are technically for a seat belt. The other hooks around the rear two "L" brackets and slips through another seat belt slot. There's a small amount of rock in the ride when you hit only the larger bumps (I think this only aids in him falling asleep), but side-to-side is solid and there's no chance of him bouncing out. Don't worry! My wife put it through a pretty rigorous test! :lol:

mastronaut said:
Awesome job! How do you keep baby Kai anchored in?

Wait . . . you're supposed to anchor them? :wink:

slowerisbetter said:
I have two bungee cords to strap him in. One wraps over the top towards the front under two slots that are technically for a seat belt. The other hooks around the rear two "L" brackets and slips through another seat belt slot. There's a small amount of rock in the ride when you hit only the larger bumps (I think this only aids in him falling asleep), but side-to-side is solid and there's no chance of him bouncing out. Don't worry! My wife put it through a pretty rigorous test! :lol:

Good for her! That's great, I used my sons car seat in the Schwinn trailer till he was four, then I noticed the sticker that read "DO NOT USE CAR SEAT in this vehicle" Whoops! But hey, it kept him from flopping around inside. 8)

Sadipics112.jpg

Great idea! I debated the trailer, but the 'flopping" issue was a challenge! I'm waiting until he's a bit older, then I'll bust out some mad sewing skills and customize a trailer! Love taking kids around, it rocks...

slowerisbetter said:
Great idea! I debated the trailer, but the 'flopping" issue was a challenge! I'm waiting until he's a bit older, then I'll bust out some mad sewing skills and customize a trailer! Love taking kids around, it rocks...

I'd bring a portable radio with his Country tunes on and he'd be asleep in no time hahah! :D

i think you should call the trike THE BIG KAHUNA because of the awesome artwork and how the little guy rock back and fourth like riding a wave....awesome trike!!! i have a trike i picked up and you have giving me lots of ideas.....

how did you paint the wood? that is a great painting
Thanks! I actually got the idea from my brother who designs and builds longboard skate decks. It's a series of staining. I start out with sharpie to sketch the outline and then take four tints of stain and just fill it in. It's a fairly simple process and looks really sweet.

Latest posts

Back