KLUNKER DISCUSSION

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
hey outlaw or all you other klunker guys. did any of the schwinn klunkers run a blade style of fork? cuz ive got everything else for my klunker build, except a fork, but i just wanna make sure that im not just buildin another bike by puttin a blade on it. i know that you said just to build what you think a klunker is, and ive checked out all the klunker sites and dvds and all that mumbo jumbo, but i just wanna see what anybody else thinks about this....

Easy E

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Site Owner
Reaction score
Here's one of Alan Bond's bikes with a blade fork.

green_01.jpg

Reaction score
see i was just checkin that out and i like the look of that bike. so i think that i am gonna run a blade up front. now for the wheels! all i got is a set of 26inch wheels with a coaster brake. would that be consider unklunkerable? lol sometimes it just plain sucks bein a noob!!!

Easy E

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Site Owner
Reaction score
Most of the original Klunkerz did run coaster brakes...mostly Morrow hubs, but those are spendy these days. :wink:

Reaction score
haha cool. well looks like im in then! pics will be posted in the correct thread soon and im really looking forward to this build!!!

Easy E

Reaction score
aka_locojoe said:
klunker.jpg

Just remembered this bike. I think maybe I had a klunker before I even knew what they were. Rear drum brake, heavy duty wheels. Bought it as is several years ago from a thrift shop. It later became this.

Here's a chroma corrected view, cool bike. I think one of the reasons they went with a drum brake is, canti frames make mounting calipers difficult on the back side.

swklunk.jpg

Reaction score
Holy cow. I thought this thing ended November 1st. I have a whole month to tweak this thing?

It just goes to show that I don't really "read the articles" like I always claim to, I just look at the pics.

Reaction score
Having met and dealt with some of the orig klunker cats back in Marin, I think they might find this kinda cool and nostalgic. I hope everyone has fun with this and rides their klunk alot after. Good luck.

Reaction score
This definitely sounds awesome. I am into mountain biking, and into old bikes, but only learned about klunkers a few months ago myself. I'm down to build one, but girlfriend still trippin on last bike build (it cost too much!), and number of bikes I have total. Plus in the middle of trying to get a Supra put back together, so can't start a bike til then, and blah blah blah excuses blah blah.
Anyway, I've got a month, you'll see it if I start on one!

Reaction score
WOW :D It seems like I've been away for a long time :shock: I just had a look at the clunkers you guys have been building and those are some sweeeeeeet rides :D :D :D Congrats to all!!! I wish I could take part in this build-off but I still can't find a cruiser frame around here... Pretty much just MTBs and roadies :roll: Haven't given up the search yet though!

Good luck to all on the klunker build off :)

Reaction score
I'm entering this . All I need to do is take off the rear rack amd fenders and switch the tires to something more aggresive.
021-5.jpg

002-26.jpg

003-29.jpg

005-24.jpg

Reaction score
hey ratpick, it's only a girlfriend, now if it was a wife then ya better heed to. lol. just build the klunker, it's cheap.lol.

Outlaw :shock:

Reaction score
No........way......

I've been away from the forum a bit since the last Rat Rod build off.
A friend of mine in my VW gang keeps scoring cool old bikes and not doing anything with them.
He got this skip-tooth Roadmaster that I want to get off of him.
I thought it would make a nice klunker like I've been wanting.

CIMG2626.jpg

...and then I read this thread!
I want in, but I'm not in yet.
I have the itch to build again.

I'll try to keep up. :mrgreen:

Latest posts