Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
sorry I didn't get around to finishing my low background steel knife fellas. Maybe next year.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry I didn't get around to finishing my low background steel knife fellas. Maybe next year.
I figure we'll probably keep the build thread around for people to make updates post-competition.

I should have time to get back to mine in a few months to finish of the stuff I couldn't get to.
If you look at my final entry pics, you can see I didn't even erase the pencil marks I made to plot out my decorative touches :bigsmile:

It's also why you only see one side of the knife, the other side really is covered in pencil lines

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a little time. Started over on the sheath using actual leatherworking tools. Much better results, with less effort.

Went with the orange leather this time. With the padauk darkening up, looks better now. Adjusted the design so the securing tie now works as intended. Still need some clean up, and to put some kind of loop, ring, or clip on to attach it to the user’s pants.

This leather is a little more supple than I’d like. Anyone know any good hardening techniques for leather?

DDEB3BC6-D7C2-4E3C-BAD7-7E1FB699168D.jpeg

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Had a little time. Started over on the sheath using actual leatherworking tools. Much better results, with less effort.

Went with the orange leather this time. With the padauk darkening up, looks better now. Adjusted the design so the securing tie now works as intended. Still need some clean up, and to put some kind of loop, ring, or clip on to attach it to the user’s pants.

This leather is a little more supple than I’d like. Anyone know any good hardening techniques for leather?

View attachment 162414
I've seen leather wrapped grips on bikes where shellac was used to finish them. I handled the grips and they were pretty 'hard', solid.

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Might be a little harder than I’m looking for.

I want it to be like an old leather boot. Right now it’s like a nice soft sofa.

Was gonna try soaking it in water and drying it. Seems like that would be a thing.

Swampthing

Rusty and broken, Still rolling.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 162414
Nice.
does it hang nicely from your belt?

Latest posts