Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@OddJob you should be able to cut and shape from a saw blade no problem. In fact if you are really careful with your cutting and grinding and cool it often or don't overwork any one area you will probably lose very little of your hardness and not need to requench. Just don't create any new HAZ and take it slow

Tempering it a bit might not be a bad thing as many industrial blades carry a super high rockwell number. You could always just toss it in your house oven at 400 for an hour and then let it air cool

I’m ready. Sort of. Not really. But I’ll give it a go.

ad77b60023eb0f3dc5f5edaf2ba47d51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@OddJob @Verrt
With cutting from something already hardened like a saw blade or file, you have to watch the heat when cutting.
If using an angle grinder you watch the cuts for discoloration.

Golden/straw color is what you look for when tempering, it won't damage the hardness.

If you see purple or blue colors showing up, that's bad.

So when cutting a knife from something hardened, keep it cool. This you can do with water. Either a bucket or a spray bottle works, just keep the steel cool.

If you do decide to put it in the fire, wood will work if its a hard wood that gets hot enough. Basically if you can get a red hot glow, you can then quench it.
As @KJV said, don't quench in water. Use an oil with a high flash point, like canola oil. You can also use motor oil, but I don't recommend used motor oil. The contaminants in used oil isn't the best for a knife.

I hope this helps.
Just remember take your time, and keep cool. You should be fine.

As @KJV said, don't quench in water. Use an oil with a high flash point, like canola oil.
I have a big jug of organic avocado oil in the back of the pantry :bigsmile:

It's an extremely hot oil. Pretty expensive oil to use for quenching a knife, but it's been sitting unused for about two years so far.

I'm going to be cutting my knife from a table saw blade, which should be hardened steel. Would it do any good, or harm, to heat it up in this kiva of ours? And if I did it, when I get to that point in the build, would I quench it in water or let it naturally 'air cool'?
View attachment 150460
Don’t quench it. It will be so brittle it will snap when putting in a vice and trying to work it. I would look on line but I seem to remember that you need to get it cherry, or somewhere around there and let it cool slowly to get it soft for working. Not sure but I have broken knife blades after heating and dousing in water.

I had a flawless transaction. I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know!

Anyone on the fence about joining, in addition to the kind of kit that @ifitsfreeitsforme got, they also offer "crates" with everything you need. Looks like you get a SS blank, scales, pins, epoxy, clamps, a file/rasp with 3 or 4 grades, a bunch of different grit sandpaper, and a leather sheath. I don't see a coping saw, but you could probably just do more filing instead of cutting. Pretty cool.
Guess you'd need to BYO drill too, for the pin holes.
1612055728555.png

You could put it all together for under $90 if you bought it separately. But would be nice to know you had everything you needed if you just wanted to dip your toes in a new hobby.

The hatchet has a connection to my viking heritage. I bought a similar pendant, then put a leather lanyard in it and made a box to present it to my son for competing in his his first Viking OCB , a drug free body building competition. He ended up winning the Debut (for first time competitors) and finishing 4th overall out of 20 competitors. He was the youngest contestant at 30 yrs of age, after 3 years of training.

He won a cool stainless steel sword for his efforts, and the admiration of his comrades and the crowd.
Viking Valor pendant.jpg

FB_IMG_1612105927115.jpg

20210131_082423.jpg

:pFinally remembered where : i put this one.;
Only ..
Forged Damascus.
Over nine hundred layers in this little skinner.
Hammering together
Different steels ..sure is a tough job. Well, I was young then.
View attachment 150660
I really like the shape of that knife.

I'm not usually into Damascus either. Could be the photo or patina, but I like how subtle the pattern is.

The original goal was to make a double edge boot knife. One side ended up not looking right.
So kind of got a little bowie swoop.
& single edge.

Strands of Steel from a bridge cable, carefully hammered into very subtle lines.
Use to realy show when first done.
About 30 years ago.

Latest posts

Back